Math News YOU Can Use - From Jacqueline Burns
Grade 8 Unit 4 - Functions
Title I Lead Math Specialist
Welcome to my resource page for your math instruction! Click on any of the hyperlinks below to access the GaDOE Framework for Unit 4, as well as other helpful resources to use as you navigate through the functions unit. Please feel free to:
- Share this website with your colleagues
- Use the resources
- Provide feedback & comments via email OR at the bottom of this page
- Follow me on Twitter
- Have a phenomenal day!
Grade 8 - Functions - MCC8.F.1 & MCC8.F.2
Unit Overview for Teachers
- In grade 6, students plotted points in all four quadrants of the coordinate plane. They also represented and analyzed quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
- In Grade 7, students decided whether two quantities are in a proportional relationship.
- In Grade 8, students begin to call relationships functions when each input is assigned to exactly one output. Also, in Grade 8, students learn that proportional relationships are part of a broader group of linear functions, and they are able to identify whether a relationship is linear. Nonlinear functions are included for comparison.
- Later, in high school, students use function notation and are able to identify types of nonlinear functions.
Useful Unit 4 Virtual Resources
Compliments of Georgia Virtual Learning, an entire virtual unit for Functions is available! This unit includes:
- common core math standards
- essential questions
- videos (they are ALL hyperlinked at the bottom of the page)
- the Module Minute (a one audio minute summation of the unit)
- the National Technology Education Standards
Websites for students
- Math Warehouse - Math Functions, Relations, Domain & Range
- Math is Fun - What is a Function?
- LearnZillion - Functions lesson set forMCC 8.F.1 & MCC8.F.2
- Khan Academy - Identifying, solving, and graphing functions