W. A. Porter News
Keeping You Informed! Friday, October 16, 2015
Next Weeks Events! (And the week after)
- 10/21 - Art Day / Extended PLC - Lunch Switches
- 10/22 - Adult Sign Language Class - Beginner - 6:30-8 PM - Library
- 10/23 - Carnival Prep - 3:30 - This is where we move all of the carnival items from storage into a staging position just inside the doors of the school. This makes set up on Saturday so much easier. Please join us!
- 10/24 - Carnival Setup - 6 AM - It doesn't take the whole village but it takes a lot of people to get the carnival ready for all to enjoy. We begin propmtly at 6 AM and it usually takes until almost 10 AM to get everything in place. The more volunteers we have the faster this goes.
- 10/24 - W. A. Porter Community Carnival - 10 AM - 3 PM.
10/26 - 10/30 - Red Ribbon Week
- 10/26 - Decoration Day - Crazy Sock Day - students and staff wear crazy socks
- 10/27 - Wear Red Day - students and staff are asked to wear read
- 10/28 - Reach Out Day
- 10/29 - Pledge Day
- 10/30 - Recognition Day - 50's Day
In addition to the Red Ribbon Week activities:
- 10/28 - Science Hat Parade - 8:30 AM
- 10/30 - Monster Parade - TBA
W. A. Porter PTA Community Carnival
Saturday, Oct. 24th, 10am-3pm
2750 Prestondale Drive
MORE SILENT AUCTION ITEMS... JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG!
- 4 Disney Theme Parks One-Day Park Hopper tickets
- Medium size BIG GREEN EGG
- YETI Soft Side Cooler
- Mira Vista Round of Golf for 4 People
- Dave & Buster’s
- Fun on the Run Paintball Party Package
- 3-Day/ 2-Night Stay at a Silverleaf Resort location
- Velocity Sports
- Six Flags
- Helicopter Ride
- NASCAR tickets
- Kendra Scott Jewelry
It’s time for your students to submit their entries for PTA Reflections! This is an opportunity for children to express themselves and showcase their artistic abilities, creating a new piece of artwork inspired by a theme. This year’s theme is “LET YOUR IMAGINATION FLY!”
Attached you will find the Summary of Rules and the Required Student Entry Form. Printed copies will be available in the office. More detailed rules for each category of participation are available athttp://www.txpta.org/programs/reflections/participate/. The deadline for entries is Monday, November 2nd.
There have been two major changes to the program: 3-dimensional artwork is now allowed and membership in the local PTA is now required for participation in Reflections. (At least one person from the student’s primary household must be a current member of the W.A. Porter PTA.) If you would like to join our PTA, please stop by the office for a membership envelope. The cost of membership is $5.50; the benefit to your child and our school is immeasurable!
Please let me know if you have any questions. I am looking forward to seeing what our Porter Panthers create!
For the children,
Arts in Education - W.A. Porter Elementary
Update: Birdville ISD and Automated Phone Calls
Birdville ISD, along with school districts across the nation, has recently been notified of an important change by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) pertaining to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). The revised TCPA rules prohibit making any non-emergency call using an automatic telephone dialing system or an artificial or prerecorded voice to a wireless telephone number without the prior express consent of the call recipient. (This includes text messages.)
To comply with the recent ruling, Birdville ISD will only use automated phone calls from your child’s campus or the District for attendance alerts or in the case of emergencies.
There are plenty of other ways to stay connected with your child’s school and BISD. The District and campuses use the following ways to share news with you:
- Birdville News - Sign up here!
- Campus e-newsletter/Facebook – Visit your campus website for details
- BISD social media - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- District website – Stay Connected
- BISD Mobile App – Available on iTunes and Google play
- Automated phone calls will be made by the District and campuses for emergencies (example: inclement weather) and/or attendance alerts.
Please remember, for the remainder of the 2015–16 school year, BISD will only use automated phone calls to communicate emergencies or attendance information.