5th & 6th Grade Weekly Newsletter
May 6th 2016
Dear Parents and Students,
Jazakallah Khair to all Parents and Students for the beautiful tokens of thanks and cards sent this week. It was very thoughtful.
This week was the last week for UOI #5 "Where We Are in Place and Time".
Students worked on completing the unit , and writing reflections on their learning.
Next week, we will begin our sixth and final unit for the year, "Sharing the Planet"!
Highlights from Class this Week
Students have been working on:
- writing a memoir in the first person, assuming the role of the explorer they have been researching this UOI. Students used the writing process and research to pre-write, write a draft, and revise for word choice.
- using context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- reading the short story Older Run by Gary Paulsen, determining the important ideas in the story and identifying the of the plot.
- identifying pronouns and their purpose.
- distinguishing between the six types of pronouns; personal, possessive, indefinite, demonstrative, reflexive, and interrogative.
- identifying the antecedent in relation to the pronoun in a sentence.
5th Grade: Fractions
Students have been working on
- subtracting fractions with unlike units using the strategy of creating equivalent fractions.
- subtracting fractions from mixed numbers.
- solving two-step word problems.
Next week, students will be working on adding and subtracting fractions numerically.
6th Grade: Expressions and Equations
Students have been working on
- writing numerical expressions in two forms, dividend divided by divisor and dividend/divisor, and note the relationship between the two.
- reading expressions in which letters stand for numbers, and assigning operation terms to operations when reading.
- identifying parts of an algebraic expression using mathematical terms for all operations.
Next week, students will be finishing up the unit on Expressions and Equations.
Raising Funds for Reading Lamps for Gaza
We will be finalizing the menu this week, and the date for "Cafe Tarbiyah" will be Wednesday 25th May, Allah.
More details will be sent this week.
Book Tournament Final Round
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling (Yousuf Daoud)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (Aasiya Ali)
Which Harry Potter book will be the winner? Book three or book seven?
The finalists will create a video trailer to decide on the winner!
- bring into school an empty tissue cube-sized box for Ramadhan preparation activities.
- Manga High/Khan Academy.
- Seven Options for Vocabulary Homework due Monday!
- water bottle for recess.
- Learner Profile Attribute of May: Communicator! Be a communicator by communicating creatively and in different ways in more than one language. Listen carefully to the perspectives of others and keep track of instances in your LP passport.
Unit 11 Vocabulary Words
Summative assessment for Unit 11 will be on Tuesday, May 10th.
Seven Options for Vocabulary Homework deadline is due on Monday, May 9th.
You can also access games and other resources at the websites below.
class username: minions
class password: mangahigh