St. Damian School
Lancer Home Connection
We hope that you received the email that went home regarding the Coronavirus. In this newsletter, we have included a few pieces of information in ways to talk to children regarding this situation. At this time, we have not determined how long this closure will last. As always, please call us or email if you have any questions.
Many thanks to all who participated in the St. Baldrick's Fundraiser. Our school community raised over $11,000 to benefit Children's Cancer!
Thank you very much to those of you who completed the Archdiocesan Wide 3C's Survey. There is still time to complete the survey and we would very much appreciate your input. You can find the survey by following this link: http://survey.5-essentials.org/archchicago/survey/parent/
Please check out our summer camp information!
Addressing the Coronavirus with Children
Helping children cope with worries or anxiety about the coronavirus requires providing accurate prevention information, responding to concerns with understanding and offering facts from reliable sources.
Parents and educators can:
- Ask children what they know or have heard about the coronavirus. This provides an opportunity to provide factual information about the virus. Rely on credible resources like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization for updated information.
- Monitor television viewing and social media intake.
- Reassure children on what can be done to stay safe. An important way to reduce worries with children is to emphasize the safety precautions that are within children’s control. Remind children that they can take care of themselves by washing their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds when they come in from outside, before they eat and after blowing their nose, coughing, sneezing or using the bathroom. The CDC offers several free handwashing resources that include health promotion materials.
- Use child-friendly language to discuss the virus. NPR published a comic and BrainPOP animated video helps explain the coronavirus to younger people and school-aged children. Newsela provides information so older students can learn about the new COVID-19 virus from trustworthy, reliable sources in a language they can understand.
- Remind children to treat each other with respect and not jump to conclusions about who may or may not have COVID-19. Talk to them about smiles replacing hugs or handshaking as to not spread germs.
- Pray together. Praying together provides an opportunity to connect in times of concern with God. Click here for prayers.
WIN OVER $1000 in Tuition!!!!!
Don't Miss Out!
For a ten dollar donation, you have the opportunity to win a $1449 tuition credit!
Here's your link for the flyer...
Your School Staff Hosts The Fish Fry Tonight!
Disney's Frozen Performed at St. Damian School
We are only a few shorts weeks away from our 8th graders performance of Disney's Frozen.
Please see the attached link to order your tickets.
St. Damian School
Saint Damian School ensures individual students reach their potential through the development of their Catholic faith, character, citizenship and academics.