Dalewood UMC Connection
January 10, 2016
- Our Wednesday night activities have been changed to meet only on the 4th Wednesday night. The next event will be on Jan 27 @ 6pm. It will be our Supper 'n Serve meal and opportunity to serve. We will pack Care Packages for the homeless and you are asked to bring items for them. Debbie Bryant is asking for your help in collecting blankets for the homeless. She feels a strong call to collect as many as possible and needs your help. We will try to include a blanket in these next Care Packages.
- We had a great turnout for our Supper 'n Serve in December. We made and wrote thank you Christmas cards for the faculty and staff at Stratford High School. We sang Christmas Carols and made Gingerbread Houses. It was wonderful evening.
- Thanks for stopping and registering your Kroger Card last Sunday for the Kroger Community Rewards program. If you weren't able to stop by the Narthex, you can register online or at the service desk at any Kroger's.
- Our FUEL program of providing "backpack meals" for 20 needy children resumed on January 5, 2016 as students returned to school. Your monetary donations are requested to help fund this worthy cause of providing food for the weekend for children who would go without. At our Supper 'n Serve on Feb. 24, we will pack the lunches for February as our Service Project.
- Dalewood had the great joy of helping to provide Christmas to children from Inglewood who would not have had gifts this Christmas. A local business owner who had offered to adopt 20 families for Christmas had contacted the school and the staff came up with needy families. At the last minute, the owner decided he could only help 5 families. This left the staff scrambling to find help for the others. She contacted Dalewood and we took up a offering on Sunday, Dec 13th and raised $692 toward the $900 they needed. They were able to furnish gifts for the children and sent us a "thank you" card. This is truly the Spirit of Christmas and we thank each of you who contributed.
- There will be a District Training Event on Jan 23rd from 9:30am to 12:30 pm at Calvary UMC. If you are a member of a team, you are requested to attend if possible. To register, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the church office.
- The next SLI meeting will be Jan. 17th; please read The Present Future: Six Tough Questions For the Church by Reggie McNeal before the meeting. All are welcome and invited to attend.
- There will be an important meeting of the Ministry Teams, Committees and Leadership Council on Sunday, Jan 24 beginning at 11:00am. The Leadership Council will meet at 12:30pm and you are encouraged to attend and share your ideas.
- The Youth will be attending "Warmth in Winter" on Jan 30 & 31. If you haven't registered yet, see Cory for information.
- Plans are being made for a Super Bowl Party on Feb. 7th. Watch for more info.
- Cory is currently working on plans for our first Summer Mission Trip! Please email him dates that will work/not work for you and your family and he will do his best to accommodate as much as possible.
- Miss Lisa would like to plan a Family Game Night in Jan or Feb. We might even call it a Mid-Winter Blues Party. The last time we did this we played games with the winter/cold/snow theme and ate Blue Food. Let Lisa know if you have any suggestion as to date or activity.
- During the months of Jan and Feb, our children's ministry will be collecting hats, gloves, scarfs and tube socks. We need items for all ages, men, women and children. You can leave your donation in the Giving Station in the Narthex.
- Our Mission House is again empty and we will be holding discussions of how best to utilize this church asset. You are invited to our 5th Sunday Potluck on Jan 31 after Worship and stay to share your vision for the Mission House. We welcome your ideas and encourage you to attend and share them with everyone.
- The Finance Committee wants you to know that our Annual Giving Statements will be ready to be picked up within the next few weeks. A notice will be in the bulletin when they are ready.
- The next Worship Team meeting will be on Tuesday, 1/19 @ 7:00pm. Please keep us in prayer as we continue our search for the new Minister of Music.
- We began a new Sermon Series on Jan 10 entitled "Red Letter" The Teaching of Jesus in the Gospel of Mark, an in depth study of the Word.
- We continue to pray for Billye Willette who will be beginning Chemo treatment this week, for Joyce Yates in Skyline Hospital, Jim Atwell who is home recovering from colon surgery, Tess Frohock who has a sinus infection, for Natahli Moreno's mother who will flying home to Columbia on the 17th, and for Cory Martin and family.
- Remember those who are homeless and suffering from the cold weather and help if you are able.