Whitley Road Elementary School
Week 27, March 21 - 25, 2016
- Soft Lockdown
- New School Transfer Fair – 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- 4th Grade Parent Meeting @ 6:00 p.m. - Auditorium
- Grade Level Planning w/Harper – in the data room
- Amy @ GAM
- Amy @ Instructional Rounds/Bilingual Job Fair
- TELPAS Scoring
- STAAR Writing Training – 3:15 – 5:00
- Bad Weather Make Up Day – NO SCHOOL
News from your Principal -
I hope you had an enjoyable & restful Spring Break! We will hit the ground running when we start back Monday morning!
Congrats, once again, to Coach B., for taking WRES to the top with out Jump Rope to Heart funds!
District & Campus News:
Nominate Outstanding Math and Science Teachers for the 2016 PAEMST
The 2015-16 nomination and application windows for grade K-6 math and science teachers for the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) program are open. Educators may be nominated by themselves or by others. The PAEMST awards are the nation’s highest honors for teachers of math and science. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of math and science education. If you know great teachers, nominate them to join this prestigious network of professionals.
Upcoming Math Training K - 3
We are excited to offer training for all of our kindergarten through third grade teachers to preview the 2016-2017 math curriculum in May.
Not only will teachers be able to begin working with unit documents for the upcoming school year, they will receive training on UbD (Understanding by Design) from Kim Brandon, Authentic Education. Kim worked with our math curriculum teams to develop a better understanding of the UbD process. Through this journey the curriculum teams were able to make meaningful connections to the ELA/SS curriculum.
We would like to offer this same opportunity for all of our teachers. Please have teachers sign up for one of the following courses.
Monday, May 23rd
- 8:00-11:00 Board Room Course #25271
- 12:00-3:00 Board Room Course #25272
Tuesday, May 24th
- 8:00-11:00 Annex Course #25273
- 12:00-3:00 Annex Course #25274
Wednesday, May 25th
- 8:00-11:00 Board Room Course #25275
- 12:00-3:00 Board Room Course #25277
Thursday, May 26th
- 8:00-11:00 Board Room Course #25278
- 12:00-3:00 Board Room Course #25279
*Please note courses will have a max of 65 participants.
Check your calendars, register in Eduphoria and fill out your sub form. Please try to split up your grade level so that not everyone is gone at the same time.
KISD Climate Survey - Coming Soon
In the 2016 Campus Climate Survey – launching Tuesday, March 22 – the District is asking for community opinions on the values, practices, and organizational structures in its individual schools. Survey results will be built into the new accountability metric to help District leaders understand where Keller ISD campuses are succeeding and where they can improve.
The short online survey asks questions about educational quality, academics, safety and behavior, family involvement, leadership, and student support.
Instructional staff members and parents with a current email address on file with the District will receive a personal invitation and survey link in their email beginning March 22.
Students will have the opportunity to participate during school hours, using their student IDs for access.
To encourage participation from all parents, the parent survey is being offered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
Keller ISD partnered with independent research and communications firm K12 Insight to administer this survey. K12 Insight will compile the results, ensuring the confidentiality of all responses.
News from your Assistant Principal -
Covering of Instructional Materials:
Please make sure to cover your hallways and classrooms by the end of the day on Thursday, March 24th . I will conduct walk-throughs on Thursday, after the STAAR Training. This campus must be test ready by Monday, March 28th, since testing is Tuesday, March 29th.
What hallways & classrooms need to be covered?
- -4th grade hallway and all classrooms.
- -3rd grade hall
- -2nd grade hall
- -Mary Deloof’s classroom in 2nd grade hall.
- -Main Hallway where LaChandra’s and Gloria’s offices are located.
- -Hallway where Music and Art are located.
- -Specialists Hallway and classrooms :ISTs, Dyslexia & resource (Counseling room will not be covered nor used, as this is a place where teachers can decompress).
Training will be on March 24th after school.
Optional Q & A for Writing STAAR will be held on Monday, March 28th in the library.
4th grade students have used whisper phones, so that the student can read the test aloud to facilitate comprehension which is an allowable accommodation. Teachers and staff, please bring any whisper phones you can allow our 4th grade students to borrow to my office no later than Thursday, March 24th. They will be returned to you after testing is complete.
· Rating will occur in the conference room on March 24th.
· 2nd-4th grade bilingual and heavy LEP classes (Vicky, Nancy, Mildred, Melissa, Amanda, Lidia and Rosa) will rate in the conference room.
· K-1 bilingual and ESL teachers with LEP students- Please have all your ratings completed and turned into me by March 24th as-well.
· All teachers with LEP students K-4 (ESL & bilingual) , rate students using the “TELPAS Rating Student Roster Spring 2016”. See below for an example of this form.
We will have a lockdown drill. It’s scheduled on the calendar for Monday, March 21st. I will make an announcement saying that we will go into lockdown.
What should we do during this drill?
-Verify that your classroom is locked and your windows are covered. New teachers, covering your windows is done by most staff members having butcher paper accessible.
-Make sure your students are quiet.
-If you are in the library go to the media room or the offices in the library.
-We will make an all clear announcement when the drill is completed.
Whitley Road Elementary School
WRES Campus Website
WRES PTA Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007883744972