Monday, October 23, 2023
Shelli LeBlanc, Principal
Chelsea Rothe, Assistant Principal
Krystal McCure, Counselor 5th Grade
Chiante Deal, Counselor 6th Grade
Location: Collins Intermediate, 6020 Shadowbend Place, The Woodlands, TX, USA
From the Principal:
Report Cards were placed in Parent Access on Friday, October 13th. We have had 57% of our families go in to view the report card. Please log into your PAC account to review grades from the first grading period.
Early voting started today! Please see information below to see locations and times to vote early.
Fall Frenzy tickets are on sale now! Last day to purchase a ticket for $30 is Tuesday, October 31st. About 90% of our Collins Cobras kids stay for the after school lock in from 4 - 7 PM. More information found below.
Class pictures will take place on Thursday November 2nd!
Tuesday, November 7th is a student holiday.
Have a great week!
Monday, October 23
- Red Ribbon Week - Rally in Red - Wear RED
- Colossal Cobra Award Responsibility - 6th Grade
- Spirit Night at Crust Pizza 4-9 PM
Tuesday, October 24
- Red Ribbon Week - Team Up Against Drugs - Wear your FAVORITE TEAM SHIRT
- Colossal Cobra Award Responsibility - 5th Grade
- Red Ribbon Week - Give Drugs the Boot - Wear WESTERN WEAR
Thursday, October 26
- Red Ribbon Week - Drug-Free for Generations - Dress in DECADES
Friday, October 27
- Red Ribbon Week - Fun Friday - Dress like a TEACHER
- Spirit Days at 31 Roots (see flyer)
October 27- November 3rd
- Collins Book Fair
Monday, October 30
- Choir Feeder Performance at CPHS - 7 PM
Tuesday, October 31
- Happy Halloween - no costumes 🙁
Thursday, November 2
Class Pictures + Retakes
Friday, November 3
- Progress Report 2nd grading period window closes
Tuesday, November 7
- Student Holiday
October is Dyslexia Awareness Month
Spirt Night Crust Pizza
Shop Local and Support Our School!
31 Roots @ Motiv Fitness Spirit Days
Shop the Fall 31 Roots Collection Oct 26-29 at mōtiv Fitness or jewelry/accessories online at www.31Roots.com , and they’ll donate 15% of sales to Collins PTO! Mōtiv is located in the Cochran’s Crossing shopping center on the west/Shadowbend side, right next to Collins. See hours on the posted flier and contact Natalie Leslie with any questions. 936-521-9904
Instagram : @31Roots
Facebook Group : 31Roots Online Shoppe
Use code : COLLINS in notes at checkout
Prop A of Bond 2023 includes 5 major renovations and 2 master plans. Major renovations at The Woodlands High School, Oak Ridge HS 9th Grade Campus, Knox Junior High, Creighton Elementary, and San Jacinto Elementary. Prop A also includes Phase II of the Oak Ridge High School Master Plan and Phase I of the Booker T. Washington High School Master Plan.
Prop A includes infrastructure work at 45 campuses. Projects at these campuses may include addressing chillers, boilers, air handlers, generators, freezer/coolers, roof sections, and electrical service equipment. Safety projects for all campuses are also included in Prop A. These could include door or window glazing, fencing, and security camera updates among other things. Safety projects are approved by the Board of Trustees based on safety recommendations made by the District Safety Committee, which is composed of safety experts and stakeholders from across our community.
To view details about these projects and learn more about Bond 2023, please visit www.conroeisd.net/bond or follow us on social media.
Monday, October 23-Saturday, October 28 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday, October 30 - Friday, November 3 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Newly approved policy on student cell phone use
The Board of Trustees approved the cell phone committee’s following recommendation regarding the use of cell phones during the school day by students in grades pre-kindergarten through sixth grade:
- Cell phones and smartwatches may be used respectfully and responsibly before school and after school.
- Cell phones and smartwatches should not be used to capture video, audio, or images at school or on the bus.
- Cell phones and smartwatches should be set on silent mode and kept in backpacks, lockers, or other designated storage areas and should not be visible during school hours including instructional time, reward time, free time, lunch, and in the hallways.
- Cell phones and smartwatches may be permitted in extenuating circumstances with permission from a staff member. (ex. to notify parent/guardian of a late bus)
Collins' Foundation team is finalizing the storage plan for student's
cell phones and smartwatches. A parent email/text will go out by Wednesday
October 25th. Official start of updated plan will begin Wed, November 1st.
We will teach & practice the updated expectations for cell phones/smartwatches
with students from October 25th - October 31st.
Fall Frenzy is a fun after school party held in November for current Collins Intermediate students. Your student will not want to miss it. There is food, games, and a student raffle! Students can also form teams and participate in the Punt, Pass, Kick competition.
Parent Volunteers will be needed the week of to help sell raffle tickets during lunch as well as during the event. Stay tuned for sign-up links.
Thank you to our sponsors for their generous donations to this year's event!
Tickets are $30 now until Tuesday, October 31st
Starting November 1st- November 8th Tickets $40
No tickets sold after November 8th
Referral Requests for Gifted and Talented Testing
Referral requests are now open for Conroe Independent School District Gifted and Talented program. Although the testing will not take place until late January, referral requests are accepted at this time. Referral requests can be made by the parents and/or campus staff. If you are interested in referring your child, you may want to discuss this with your child’s teacher.
Referrals will be accepted from October 2- December 15, 2023. The referral form is located below. You can also find the referral form and other GT information on the CISD GT homepage. Please return to Lisa Lackey at firstname.lastname@example.org when complete.
Nurse Kendall's Update
Our school will do spinal screenings on November 8, 9, 10, 2023. State law requires that schools must screen students for abnormal spinal curvature in accordance with the following schedule:
- Girls will be screened two times, once at age 10 (or fall semester of grade 5) and again at age 12 (or fall semester of grade 7).
- Trained screeners (the nurses) will check your child for signs of spinal problems like scoliosis. Catching a spinal problem early can make the treatment much easier. Not treating spinal problems can lead to serious health problems. The screening is simple. Screeners will look at your child’s back while he or she stands and bends forward. Your child will NOT be asked to remove her shirt. The screening will take place during PE in a separate area. Students will NOT have to stand in front of everyone for the screening.
- The school will send you a letter if your child does not pass the screening with recommendations to follow up with a doctor. This screening is not a medical exam. Your child still needs to see a doctor for checkups.
Red Ribbon Week
In Mr. Hunt’s art class, we are beginning our sculpture unit. Students are learning about the main types of sculpture, creating an orthographic drawing, and beginning to create a wearable piece of art out of paper mache!
In Mrs. Williams class, we have transformed our room into four different art studios; watercolor, acrylic, drawing and collage. The students are developing artistic behaviors while creating their individual projects throughout the various studios of their personal choice.
This week we wrapped up our Lacrosse unit. Next week we will begin learning about Pickleball! Pickleball is the fastest growing sport in America! We will learn what equipment is used, the rules, and how to play. Our next Cobra Cardio days will be October 23rd and 31st. Remember to please wear your sneakers on those days. 🙂
Collins Intermediate PTO Volunteers
We are looking forward to future opportunities that may arise for you to be involved at Collins this school year. Please fill out your contact information and indicate your interests below. We will contact you when the need arises.
Prior to volunteering on campus you will need to complete the CISD volunteer application online at https://apps.conroeisd.net/volunteer/
Thank you for your time,
Collins PTO Volunteer Coordinator
Feeder School Events
JUST in TIME for the holidays! We have another opportunity to support the CPC Band & Guard. Our Annual Tamale Sale is live!! Orders will be taken from 10/23-10/30. Pickup will be on 11/15 in the CP commons area from 5:00-6:30 PM!
Link to website for ordering:
Times to Remember
Bell Schedule: 8:50 AM—4:00 PM
- Students may enter the building at 7:45 AM (Please enter 5th grade side door)
- A Lunch (5th grade) 12:10 PM - 12:45 PM
B Lunch (6th grade) 12:50 PM - 1:25 PM
Collins Café is open to visitors!
Front Office: 8:00 AM—4:30 PM
End of Day
- 3:30 PM - Calls to change transportation end
- 3:35 PM - Cones for car rider dismissal will be set - cars for early pick up will not fit in front parking area
- 3:40 PM - Early student check out ends
- 3:45 PM - First flight of 7 cars moves forward to cones, staff begins inputting numbers. Please display car rider sign in window.
- 4:00 PM - Flights 1 - 4 are dismissed along with bike riders
- 4:04 PM - Walkers are dismissed. Students meet parents at cones 1 - 7. Once a flight is loaded, cars are dismissed to take a RIGHT hand turn only to exit.
- Buses are dismissed based on bus arrival to campus.
Other Helpful Links
Are You Following Us?
The Conroe Independent School District (District) as an equal opportunity educational provider and employer does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment matters. The District is required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Board policy not to discriminate in such a manner. For information about Title IX rights or Section 504/ADA rights, contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA coordinator at 3205 W. Davis, Conroe, TX 77304; (936) 709-7752.