Tuesday, December 19, 2017
Lost and Found!
For the safety of all students, staff and parents, we ask that you and your children use all designated crosswalks coming to and from school. Please be extra cautious and courteous when passing carpool lines both morning and afternoon in your vehicle. Safety is our number one priority! As a reminder, cell phones are prohibited in a school zone and carpool line. We appreciate your support in ensuring the safety of everyone.
Notes from the Nurse . . .
McKinney ISD is dedicated to ensuring that every student has a safe and healthy environment in which to learn. It is our goal that all children will feel well every day. The fall and winter months can create quite a challenge in meeting this goal. Therefore, we offer the following suggestions in hope that they will keep our children in good health.
* Practice good hand washing frequently: minimum of 15 seconds with soap and water
* Avoid cigarette smoke
* Get plenty of rest
* Stay away from sick people
* Keep hands away from face
* Keep objects clean
* Eat well balanced diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits
* Reduce stress and worry!
* Wear clothing appropriate for the weather: Our weather changes frequently in Texas so be prepared; cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon! This may mean wearing long sleeves and pants with a jacket and perhaps keeping them in backpacks.
* Encourage covering of coughs and sneezes, preferably with a tissue followed by hand washing.
* Encourage adequate hydration: 6 to 8 glasses of water a day
We have already begun to see many signs and symptoms of cold and other respiratory problems in children at school. If you have not already begun assisting your children in these practices mentioned above, we would appreciate you talking with your children about these important health safeguards. Monitor your children for symptoms of colds and begin addressing them as soon as possible. Once again, it is our goal to have all children well and at school learning, but there are times when they must be at home.
- If your child runs a temperature > 100 degrees he/she should remain at home until fever free for 24 hours without medication.
- If your child continues to run fever three or more days and has other symptoms, which do not appear to be affected by your care at home, he/she should remain home and you should contact your physician as soon as possible.
- No Vomiting or Diarrhea for 24 hours without medication. Your child must remain home for 24 hours after having diarrhea or vomiting.
- If your child vomited during the night or as they were getting ready for school, they must stay home.
- If your child has red and draining eyes, they must stay home.
- For any infection, antibiotics must be taken for a minimum of 24 hours prior to re-entry to school.
- Communicable disease: Any illness diagnosed as a communicable disease requires a doctor's note for re-admittance into school. The Texas Department of Health School Exclusion Guidelines is used to determine re-admittance. Please call the nurse's office for any other information needed.
Spring Watch DOGS registration!
We also encourage our Watch DOGS to attend the MISD School Board Meeting on February 27th when the Bennett Watch DOGS program will be featured.
Tuesday, December 19: Aramark Discovery Day: lentils and Mexican sweet potatoes; 4th and 5th Grade Spelling Bee 2PM; Bluebonnet Book Club 3PM
Friday, December 22: Holiday Live at 8:30AM; Class Parties 1:45-2:30PM
Tuesday, January 9: Pizza w POPS 6PM; Watch DOGS registration begins
Tuesday, January 16: Bear Cubs in Training Storytime 2:15PM RSVP at http://gg.gg/2017WinterStoryTime; MISD Spelling Bee 6PM at Boyd High School
Thursday, February 8: Collin County Spelling Bee
Tuesday, February 27: Bennett Elementary Watch DOGS presentation at MISD School Board
Gifted and Talented Parent Meetings for Current 5th Graders
Monday, Feb 12 6:00-7:00PM Scott Johnson
Thursday, Feb 15 11:30AM-12:30PM Cockrill
Thursday, Feb 15 6:00-7:00PM Faubion
Tuesday, Feb 20 8:30-9:30AM Evans
Tuesday, Feb 20 8:30-9:30AM Evans
Tuesday, Feb 20 6:00-7:00PM Dowell