School Nutrition Newsletter
August 19, 2020
Don't Forget! School Re-Entry Guidance and Updates for School Nutrition Programs 2020 - 2021
Upcoming Due Date! Annual Financial Report and Non-Program Revenue Tool
- Don't forget! The AFR is due by August 31, and must be submitted by accessing CNPWeb.
- The Non-Program Revenue Tool should be completed along with each sponsor's AFR and kept on file for a review or an audit. Sponsors do not need to send this form in for approval.
- For more information, visit this previous newsletter.
- Questions? Contact the Finance Team at SCNFinance@doe.in.gov.
Important Reminder! 30 Operating Day Carryover
- Eligibility benefits from the previous school year should carry over for the first 30 operating days into the new school year.
- Reminder! If a household submits a new application or is matched through Direct Certification (DC) within the 30 day carryover, schools must immediately apply the new eligibility, even if the new eligibility is lower than the previous school year (i.e. free to reduced, free to paid, or reduced to paid).
- The 30 day carryover applies to:
- Children with approved applications or DC status from the previous school year.
- Newly enrolled children who reside in a household where another child has an approved application or DC status from the previous year.
- Children transferring from one Local Educational Agency (LEA) to another, as long as the new LEA can obtain documentation that states the student was receiving benefits the previous school year.
- Children moving from LEAs that participated in a special Provision (i.e. Provision 1, 2, or 3 or CEP) to a non-provision school. Check out the Transferring Eligibility Fact Sheet for more information about this.
- While not required, schools are highly recommended to contact any households that have not reapplied for free and reduced (f/r) benefits before the 30 day carryover ends.
- This is a way to prevent a lapse in benefits or excess meal charging.
- On the 31st operating day, households that have not reapplied for f/r benefits must be changed to paid status.
If a sponsor is providing meal service on eLearning/virtual learning days, then these would be considered an operating day and would be included in the 30 days. If a sponsor is not providing meal service on eLearning/virtual learning days, then these days do not count towards the first 30 operating days.
Sponsors need to make sure to set their 31st operating date in the Point of Sale (POS) system. Since many schools have moved their start date back, make sure to check the 31st operating date in the POS system is correct.
- Click here for the 30 Day Carryover Fact Sheet.
- Click here for the 30 Day Carryover Calculator.
- Questions? Contact your Field Specialist.
IDOE Resource Request Form
- Don't forget! IDOE's Resource Request Form is back open!
- Request hard copies of IDOE's most popular resources, handbooks, fact sheets, and more to be mailed to a specified address for free!
- For a list of what documents are available and to request documents to be mailed to you, click here.
- Questions? Contact Maggie Schabel at email@example.com.
Nutrition News Bites Webinar
- Want a new way to view the weekly newsletter information? Then Nutrition News Bites is for you!
- Hear from the newsletter designers themselves present weekly newsletter important updates, reminders, and due dates! During the webinar, IDOE will answer your questions LIVE! Come join us!
- The next Nutrition News Bite Webinar will be next Wednesday, August 26, at 2:00 p.m. ET.
- Click here to register.
- Questions? Contact the Training Team at SCNTrainings@doe.in.gov.
Verification Webinar Series
- IDOE is excited to bring you a four-part webinar series on verification.
- This series will cover the verification process in real time. As schools are preparing for verification in September, the webinar will cover how to properly pull applications, notify households, and track responses. In October as schools are reviewing verification submissions, the webinar will cover common questions that come up from households and how to handle non-responses. In November, the webinar will cover finalizing the verification process and filling out the Verification Summary Report.
- Click here for more information and to register.
- Questions? Contact Allie Caito-Sipe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indiana School Nutrition Association (ISNA) Google Suite Virtual Workshop
- Does your school district use Google Suite products? Have you been asked to collaborate using Google Sheets? Have you been asked to fill out a Google Form? If you answered yes, this workshop is for YOU!
- ISNA has a brand new virtual Google Suite Workshop developed just for school nutrition professionals.
- Participants will be guided through the workshop in a step-by-step manner with no risk to your own computer or the files within it!
- More information including fees and registration can be found by clicking here.
- Questions? Contact Jan Frost, ISNA Professional Development Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Indiana Department of Education - School and Community Nutrition
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this newsletter, please contact Allie Caito-Sipe at firstname.lastname@example.org, call (317) 232-0849, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20849, or contact Ashley Heller at email@example.com, call (317) 232-0544, or toll-free at 1-800-537-1142 ext. 20544.
Miss a Weekly School Nutrition Newsletter? Click here to access previous newsletters!
Was the newsletter forwarded to you? Want to add other employees to receive the newsletter? Click here to be added to the contact list.