european styles of the late 17th century
- Puritans worked to drive out "sinful" theatre before 1660.
- "Restoration" refers to the time in Western Europe from 1660-1700.
- King Charles II restored the English monarchy and theater.
- He replaced drab/simple Puritan styles that dominated England with bright and over-the-top French styles.
Men VS. Women
- They wore heels and pantyhose and applied makeup
- Men’s fashion during Restoration was more extravagant than women’s
- Periwigs (long-haired and natural color) and high heels
- Short walking canes
- Neckline plunges (collarbones were attractive)
- It was considered attractive for women’s dress to appear disheveled and/or messy
- Pearl chokers instead of long necklaces
- Elbow-length gloves
- Folding fans