Las Positas Updates
2/17/23 Volume 2 (27)
You have a 3-day weekend coming and it may be easier to hand your child a device, but it may not be the best. In fact, I challenge you to a device fasting for a few hours. Decide a few hours of not using a device and play a family board game instead.
This month we continue to focus on the IB Learner Profile Thinker.
The IB Learner profile aims to develop students who are thinkers. Students who are thinkers exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
IB students contribute to discussions in a meaningful way. They do not shy away from challenging questions and, once they know the answer, follow up by asking “why?”
Click here for more info on: IB PYP
Catch your child being a "thinker" and tweet it out @laspositaslions or send them for me to share.
Have a great 3 day weekend~
Here's a Picture Book about Thinking and Problem-Solving
Questions to Use with "The Boring Book"
- Describe the different ways the characters were effective thinkers and problem-solvers.
- Which character was the more creative thinker? Why?
- How did [character] solve the problem? What strategies did they use?
- Why do you think [character] was an effective problem solver?
- Why did [character’s] idea work in the end? Did they think about how their decisions would affect the outcome and other characters?
- Did [character] make good decisions? Is there anything they could have done differently?
- Did [character] work independently to solve the problem or did they work collaboratively? Was this the best strategy?
- Does a thinker have to be brave, a risk-taker….?
- Did their decision making surprise you? Were they creative in their thinking?
- How did [character’s] way of thinking impact the outcome of the story?
Come Find Out about Exciting Things Coming Up - Join Coffee with the Principal
Black History Month
Kids Heart Challenge- 2/8 ~ 2/24
Dear Families – We had our kick off assembly and many of our students got recognized for joining in the effort. Our goal is to have 100% of families join the team and learn Hands Only CPR through Finn’s Mission. Plus, you can help our class win the classroom challenge!
Here’s how you can help:
- Register at http://www2.heart.org/goto/LasPositas
- Complete Finn’s Mission: Watch a 2-minute video to learn Hands-Only CPR, learn how to spot the warning signs of a stroke, and so much more!
- Share with friends and family through social media, text and/or email
Save a life. Follow the traffic laws. 🚗🚙🚛
Drive on the right side of the road.
Arrive on time.
Don't block the traffic.
Let's be patient and kind on the road~
Read Across America is Coming 2/28 to 3/2
Save the Date and RSVP for our Booknic
Booknic Flyer RSVP
Cut here and return to teacher: Please RSVP Student Name: _____________________Room Number:_____ My teacher is: _______________________________________ My guests for the Booknic is/are: __________________________ ___________________________________________________ Corte aquí y regrese al ma...
What a Thinker Engages In:
Wednesdays - Early Release
Thursdays - Think College Gear
Fridays - wear Las Positas Gear/color
2/8 ~ 2/24 - Kids' Heart Challenge continues
2/20 - NO SCHOOL (Presidents Day)
2/22 - Spring Pictures (optional)2/22 - Coffee w/the Principal @ 8AM
2/24 - Minimum Day (ALL students begin at 8:10am and are dismissed at 12:40pm)
2/24 - 4th grade Field Trip
2/27 - PTA Meeting at 5 PM
2/27 ~ 3/3 - Read Across America Week
3/2 - Booknic
3/8 - Food Distribution 10:45am-11:45am
3/8 - Open House 5pm-7pm