By: Corinne Parmalee
What Do They Believe?
“Libertarianism is, as the name implies, the belief in liberty. Libertarians believe that each person owns his own life and property and has the right to make his own choices as to how he lives his life and uses his property – as long as he simply respects the equal right of others to do the same.” – Sharon Harris, President, Advocates for Self-Government
- Libertarianism roughly means “believer in liberty.”
- Libertarians believe that on every issue you have the right to decide for yourself what’s best for you and to act on that belief, so long as you simply respect the right of other people to do the same.
- Libertarians support both personal and economic liberty.
- They also support small government and less taxing.
- Libertarianism is thus the combination of liberty (the freedom to live your life in any peaceful way you choose), responsibility (the prohibition against the use of force against others, except in defense) and tolerance (honoring and respecting the peaceful choices of others).
- The libertarian way gives you more choices, in politics, in business, your personal life.