Washington County 4-H Update
April 29, 2016
4-H Shooting Sports Event
10TH Anniversary Brandon Tomcak Memorial 3-D Shoot
Washington County 4-H Archery 3-D Shoot Contest for 4-H Archery Club Members (ages 8-18 years old on January 1, 2016)
Sunday, May 22, 2016
7:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. – Rain or Shine
Lake Cunningham Outdoor Archery Range
9100 Pawnee Road (Between 84th & 96th on Pawnee Road)
In addition to the 4-H 3-D shoot contest, this event is geared toward kids small and large, adults are welcome to shoot too. No experience needed, guidance and equipment provided.
2016 High School Seniors: $500 College Scholarship to be awarded.
ORION ARCHERY RAFFLE:
Raffle Items Include (choose one):
Mathews Halon 6 Adult Bow, $500 cash, or Life Time Hunt and Fish License
Tickets: 5 for $20 or 1 for $5
Equine Herpes Virus (EVH-1) in Nebraska
Thanks to the 3rd Graders and teachers in Washington County that participated in our Ag Festival this week!
2016 Online Horticulture Judging Contest - Open to 4-H Youth & Adults!
START MARKING YOUR CALENDARS!
What we want to tell you about now:
Animal Science Camp
June 1 from 9am-4pm at the Washington County Fairgrounds, Rybin Building
4-H age 8-18 year olds, get ready for lots of hands-on learning about meat cuts, animal senses, bio-security & traceability, and much more!
Cost - $20 per youth (cost includes supplies & snack)
Registration deadline - May 25th
Metro Community College Culinary Institute Camp
June 13-16 from 10am-2pm in Omaha, NE (transportation provided)
12-18 year olds, come to learn about fun & new cooking techniques in a culinary studio! This experience will be one you don't want to miss. And you'll even get to taste your hard work!
Cost - $135 per youth (cost includes transportation, supplies & lunch)
Registration deadline - May 27th
UPDATE: 2016 Nebraska State Fair will be Blow & Go for Cattle.
Reasoning Behind the Decision
1. The decision to go to a blow & go show for 2016 was a joint decision made by 4-H, FFA, and the NE State Fair
2. Over the past few years of growth, which is outstanding, the cattle barn has been the most congested. To help add additional space in the past, we had been able to put chutes on the west end of the hog barn, but that will no longer be a possibility in 2016.
- There are 1220 stalls total in the beef barn available
- 1080 head were pre-entered in 2015. This leaves 140 stalls for tack space and chutes. We saw this as a major hurdle to overcome.
3. As a group, we saw two options to solve the space issue...A) Restrict entries or B) Reduced the need for additional tack and supplies
- Reducing entries was not a viable option. We want to encourage involvement, not restrict it.
Please refer to Nebraska State Fair Livestock General Rules & Regulations for grooming.
P.A.S.E. & Life Challenge
Want some new information on the P.A.S.E. & Life Challenge? Here ya go!
Premier Animal Science Events (PASE) is a two-day event designed to help you learn about issues related to the animal industry, explore career opportunities that are available, compete with other teens from across the state and have FUN! The event is sponsored by Nebraska 4-H, the College of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Nebraska Investment Finance Authority. Opportunities at PASE include livestock, meats, and poultry judging contests, as well as livestock skill-a-thon and quiz bowl. Youth can participate in more than one contest or event as their schedule allows.
Life Challenge is a two-day event designed to help youth learn about issues related to Family and Consumer Sciences, explore career opportunities that are available, compete with other teens from across the state, and have fun! Opportunities at Life Challenge include family and consumer science team problem solving challenges, social activities, and campus tours. Youth can participate in any or all of these activities.
This year’s event will be held June 19-21 and the deadline to register through the Nebraska Extension Office in Washington County is JUNE 1. For a schedule of events, go to: http://4h.unl.edu/paseschedule & http://4h.unl.edu/lifechallengeschedule
STATEWIDE 4-H ACTIVITIES
Livestock & Small Animal Clinics, Workshops, and Programs
- Lucky Lopers Livestock Show - April 30 @ Lincoln, NE
- Salt Creek Wranglers Livestock Show - May 1 @ Lincoln, NE
- Hayes County Livestock Judging Contest - May 5
- Livestock Judging Clinic - May 7 RSVP by May 1 DEADLINE IS SUNDAY!
- Lancaster County Dressage Clinic/Schooling Show - May 7
- Horse Judging Contest - May 14 @ Ord, NE
- Pitzer 4-H Horse Judging Contest - May 25 @ Ericson, NE
- Regional 4-H Interview Contest - May 26
- Animal Science Youth Field Day - May 26
- Lively Livestock Progress Show - May 27-28
- 2016 Beef, Swine, Goat & Sheep Aramas - May 29-29
- South Central NE Livestock Clinic & Contest - June 1 @ Bladen, NE
- Midwest Livestock Jackpot Shows - June 3 & 4 @ Seward, NE
- South Central NE Livestock Exposition - June 4 @ Bladen, NE
- Sheridan County 4-H Progress Show - June 5 @ Gordon, NE
- Nebraska Youth Range Camp - June 6-10
- Winners Unlimited Livestock Judging Camps - June 7-9 and June 11-13
- Free Fitting & Showing Clinic - June 11 --NEW EVENT!
- Bridle & Saddle 4-H/Open Horse Show - June 11 --NEW EVENT!
- Perkins County 4-H Horse Show - June 18 --NEW EVENT!
- PASE/LIFE Challenge - June 19 through June 21
- Holdbrook Days Pre-Fair Show - June 25 @ Holbrook Park --NEW EVENT!
- Wheeler County Progress Show - June 25 --NEW EVENT!
- The Final Drive Sheep & Goat Progress Show - June 25 @ Geneva, NE
- Papio Valley Market Broiler Show - June 25
- Advanced Beekeeping: Pests & Disease Diagnostics - June 25
- District Horse Show Dates and Locations
- June 13th - Kearney
- June 14th - Chadron
- June 15th - McCook
- June 16th - Leigh - WASHINGTON COUNTY ASSIGNED
- June 17th - Bloomfield
- June 21st - Lincoln
- The 2016 Nebraska State Horse Show will be held on July 10-14 at Fonner Park in Grand Island, NE.
2016 Horsemen's Update - May 13
COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY!
The Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska was established to promote beef in a healthy diet, toshowcase rural Nebraska and to raise funding for healthcare research at the Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Center at UNMC as well as local healthcare. The 18th Annual Cattlemen’s Ball will be held Friday, June 3rd and Saturday, June 4th 2016.
In order to put on such a successful event, volunteers are needed! A list of specific volunteer dates, times and opportunities can be found at www.cattlemensball.com, by clicking on the yellow “volunteers” button. This is a great opportunity to participate in some community service!