Tiger Choir Chronicles
Travis Tiger Choir Weekly Updates
September 11 - September 15
News for Everyone
What Did We Do Last Week?
- The choirs are working hard on their fall concert music and have focused our learning on the pitch and rhythm patterns found in their music. Treble Choir and Advanced Treble choir have begun transferring these building blocks in the context of their music.
- Chorale has also been working hard on their District Audition music after having several opportunities this week for practice and drilling.
Please continue to make payment installments as you are able.
I will be able to accept cash or check payments tomorrow (September 11th) and also again on Friday September 22nd. Any payments via cash or check will have a receipt written and sent home with your child.
Please also know that cell phones are expected to be away and in backpacks during class. I have spoken with students regarding this expectation many times. While most students have been very cooperative and understanding of this expectation, we want to ensure that every member of our choir family upholds the group expectations. I appreciate your help in this so that we can rehearse efficiently without distractions.
THANK YOU to our generous Tiger Choir Sponsors!
Support THS Tiger Choir
- Help by purchasing needed items from our Amazon Wishlist posted on the choir website . Each of the items on the list will help us stay organized and support students in their choir success while allowing us to use the budget funds to purchase large items, music, and other supplies.
- Become a Choir Sponsor! If you or your business would be interested in becoming a choir sponsor, please see the "Support THS Choir" page on the website, or email Mr. Miner for more information and how to donate!
- All classes will have a "Week 5" assignment in Schoology. Please continue to remind your child to stay on top of this.
Assignments Past Due
- FORMS are now past due as a completion grade. If you're child has a "0" in Skyward, it is because I have not received their stapled form packet. The late-work policy does not apply to this assignment so as soon as your child returns the completed forms, the grade will be changed to 100. If your child has lost their forms, they are available on the choir website.
- Schoology Week 4 Assignment (Periods 1, 2, & 4). The late work policy is in place for all Schoology assignments. Students' lack of planning or technology issues are not an excuse for late work. Students have been reminded throughout the week, and are also welcome to use the classroom iPads anytime before or after school to complete their assignment.
District Auditions Updates
Auditions are THIS SATURDAY, September 16th! I am so proud of the students and their work ethic in the process this year. The music and expectations are both at a high level and it has been so wonderful to see our choir students working so diligently to rise to the occasion to represent our school.
Audition details are below:
- When: Saturday, September 16th
- Where: Austin High School
- Departure Time: Meet at TRAVIS by 7:15 am. We will do a warm-up together before taking a bus to AHS.
- Return Time: We should be back to campus by 5:00 pm, however, the time fluctuates depending on the number of entries as well as if the contest runs on time. Students will contact you when we are ready to board the bus and head back to THS.
- Uniform: Choir polo, jeans, comfortable shoes
- Singing times are not known UNTIL we register, therefore, your child needs to plan to be at AHS for the entire day. However, if your child has sung and there is another family obligation, you may pick your child up from AHS.
- The TMEA contest rules state that students may NOT have access to any cell phone, laptop, tablet, or other electronic device while the contest is running. If they need to make a phone call for any reason, they must go to the "call table" set up where they may use their device under supervision. Please plan accordingly with your child if special pick-up arrangements, etc. need to be made ahead of time. The penalty for unsupervised use of an electronic device is disqualification from the contest.
- Students should bring something to do: whether that is a book, crossword/word search book, homework, games, etc is up to them but they will have a LOT of down time during the day so should have something to do since they will not have access to their phone. They are also welcome to bring a pillow or blanket to use in the cafeteria at AHS, however, students are responsible for all of their personal belongings.
- Please also note that director's are the judges for the contest and may not have contact with students once they are registered. Additionally, director's also will not have access to their personal phones/electronic devices or be able to see students until the contest has finished and results are posted.
- We will have a parent chaperone supervising students in the cafeteria should an issue arise.
If you don't use Google Calendar, check out the choir website often where events are regularly posted and updated.
Homecoming Football Game
Call time: 6:15 pm
Uniform: Choir Polo and blue jeans.
Students are free to go after kick-off if they are not staying for the game.
Please note that transportation will NOT be provided for this event so please plan accordingly.
Friday, Sep 29, 2023, 07:00 PM
Edward Mercer Stadium, Lexington Boulevard, Sugar Land, TX, USA
- Monday, September 11: District Music Sectionals (Soprano/Alto) 3:00 - 4:30 pm
- Tuesday, September 12: District Music Sectionals (Tenor/Bass) 3:00 -4:30 pm
Looking to the future:
- Monday, September 18: Tuxedo Fittings 3:00 - 5:00 pm
- Monday, September 18: Booster Club General Membership Meeting, 6:30 pm in the THS Choir Room
- Tuesday, September 19: Tuxedo Fittings 3:00 - 5:00 pm
Please continue to remind students that they need to be working on their All-State music. This is a requirement and expectation of ALL Varsity singers.
- We will be using Tiger Time each day to work on the District music. Please remind your child to bring their All-State music with them EVERY day.
- Please be sure to read the above information about District Auditions. If you have any questions or need further clarification please don't hesitate to contact me.