Eli Scott, Micheal McGrew and Akash Gururaja
10 facts about shrooms
- You can eat them raw or dry, boiled into tea or converted into powder, or swallowed "bombed" in wraps.
- The physical effects, which appear within 20 minutes of ingestion and last approximately 6 hours, include nausea, vomiting, muscle weakness, drowsiness, and lack of coordination.
- Psychedelic mushrooms are also known as shrooms, magic mushrooms, caps, blue meanies, boomers, mushies, and liberty caps.
- The active chemical in psychedelic mushrooms is psilocybin,
- There are no scientifically proven long term effects of shrooms, but taking shrooms for a long time could change your perspective on everything.
- The mushrooms mix up your senses, so you can "hear" colors, and "see" music.
- There was one case in Marion where houses and apartments were turned into shroom farms. Luckily, the police found out and were able to destroy it.
- Each year, Marion only has around one or two cases of shrooms being distributed.
- If you distribute shrooms, more than likely you will not get jail time, just a small fine around $300.
- If you take shrooms, the punishment is usually jail time, but it usually ranges from a only a few days to 30 days.
Things that you can do instead of doing shrooms
Where can I get help?
You can contact the Marion Police Department at (319) 377-1511.
You can also talk to a counselor at your school.
Finally, you could call the HSE Drugs & Alchohol Helpline at 1-800-459-459.