Chestnut Street Parent Newsletter
#RamPride #RamFam #RamResolve
Things to remember for November:
- Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC) will be held virtually on Monday, November 2nd from 8:30-2:30 and 5:30-9:00. Please check TeacherReacher for the appointment time that you scheduled. TeacherReacher appointments will be strictly followed. You will log in to your child's Google Classroom to access the meeting link for your conference.
- We are using SeeSaw as a tool to complete schoolwork. SeeSaw works on any device- even your cellular phone! See the helpful website links below for more information about SeeSaw!
- Picture Day for Cohort A and Distance Learning students has been scheduled for Monday, November 9th.
- We will be learning about persistence over the next few months. You might hear your child use phrases like, “I think I can, hang in there, keep at it, you can do it!” Please encourage them at home and check out Mrs. Tripp & Mrs. Birnbaum's Google Classrooms for more information on our work with the Habits of Mind.
- There is no school for students on Monday, November 2nd for PTC, Tuesday, November 3rd for Election Day, Wednesday, November 11th for Veteran's Day, and Thursday, November 26th and Friday November 27th for Thanksgiving.
- 1st Quarter Report Cards will be distributed on Friday, November 13th.
- Thank you all for your diligence with completing the Daily Health Screening every morning by 8:30! It helps us check in all the students quickly and efficiently.
- If your child will be absent, please call Nurse Angela before 8:30 AM at 516-390-3155
- If there will be a change in your child's afternoon transportation, please write a note or email to the teacher. For last-minute changes, please call Mrs. Butler before 2:00 PM. 516-390-3150
If you would like to order a Chestnut Street t-shirt or sweatshirt for your child or yourself, please click on the link provided. If you have any questions, please reach out to Mrs. Macchia at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Thomas at email@example.com
Please visit the NYSED Parent Dashboard and provide feedback in the section that says Feedback.
Thank you for participating in our first ThoughtExchange of the year!
Scroll to the bottom for Parent Resources in English and Spanish.
Sight Words- Try at Home
Concentration: Make two sets of word cards and play “Concentration.”
- Go Fish: Make two sets of word cards and play “Go Fish.”
- Make the words using play-dough or clay.
The slides include sound. Your child can practice reading the word and then self-check by listening.
In Reader's Workshop...
We will continue our We Are Readers Unit and Interactive Read Alouds will model and reinforce good reading habits, concepts of print, and academic vocabulary development.
Guided Reading groups are in full swing! Your child will come home with books to read with you.
Your child will also bring home books from the classroom library every Monday. Please return the classroom library books every Friday. Please be sure to practice reading those books with your child and then return them to school.
The paper books from Reading A-Z from our weekly Sight Word study can remain in your home. Practice reading and rereading those as well!
Use RazKids to find a digital library of age-appropriate books for your child to read at home! The links to both are below.
In Writer's Workshop...
Some of the 'Non-Negotiables' that you can expect from your child's writing include:
Use more than one color when drawing
Use real-life, appropriate colors
Figures have shapes for body
Sketch matches the “label” (word, letter, etc.)
In Math Workshop...
Students will answer the essential questions below. Be sure to ask your child these questions!
- What is counting and how can it be used?
- How do we measure things?
- Why do we measure things?
Students will work on the following skills:
- Counting and representing quantities
- Comparing and ordering quantities
- Understanding length
We are also using ST Math to support deep conceptual understanding via personalized learning. You must use ClassLink to access ST Math. The link is below.
Please complete the Daily Health Screening by 8:30 AM every day so that we can check all the students in before school begins. This makes for a timely arrival process. Thank you!
Your child's email address is their 9 digit WH student ID # followed by @whufsd.com The password is abc
Click here for support with Distance Learning, Google Classroom, Classlink, etc.
Please follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date with all the amazing things happening at Chestnut Street! Follow our school page as well as your child's classroom page!