Wednesday, December 12, 2018
GETTING READY FOR THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
- Legacy’s Early Childhood Open House will be held on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2019. This evening is designed for parents and for their children. Please share this information with friends and families. Legacy parents are our biggest promoters!
- Preschool/Kindergarten pre-registration begins after Christmas break on Monday, Jan.7, 2019. If you are planning to send your student to Prek, Young Five's, or English or Spanish Kindergarten at Legacy next fall, please use this opportunity to pre-register them. Let your friends and neighbors know about this important date, especially those whose oldest child would be eligible. These families are not always aware that pre-registration takes place this early! More information will follow in next week’s newsletter. Help us promote Legacy Christian!
- For our Early Childhood Open House on Thursday, Jan. 10, we would love it if we could get several of our LCS families to help provide the goodies that will be served to the families that come to tour Legacy Christian! Our theme for this year Open house is again "Shine Like Stars". You are welcome to make something "star" related, but it certainly doesn't have to be. Please indicate in the comment box what you plan to bring. Thank you in advance for supporting LCS in this way! Sign up here - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44A8AA2BA13-early3
BEN'S BIG ART BOX COLLECTION
We have a good start to filling our bins but we need more! Keep those arts and crafts coming! We would love to fill these bins to overflowing! If you don't have time to shop and want to contribute money, someone else will do the shopping for you!
We have bins at either school building just waiting to be filled! Please bring your donations in before Christmas break!
Suggestions for new art and craft supplies:
Anything creative! Use your imagination just like
Bring your supplies to school anytime between
Dec. 3-19. Thank You!
Christmas Break will begin on Friday, Dec. 21, with a half day of school, dismissing at 11:30 am. All buses will run as usual. We will resume classes on Monday, Jan. 7, 2019.
Ski Club Discount Card
Ski Club Discount Card: Buy your discounted Bittersweet Ski Card soon! Anyone (friends, neighbors, family, etc.) can buy a card. Just fill out the ski forms (you can find forms in both school offices) and return them with your $17 to the west campus office. To get your passes before Christmas break, please turn in today, Dec. 12. Make checks out to Faythe Patterson. If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com or text: 616-780-0468.
Do you love to run? Would you like to be able to run a 5K? Legacy Christian has a running club for 3rd-5th graders beginning in early March and leading up the the Calvin Spring Classic 5K at the end of April. We are looking for people willing to commit to co-leading/volunteering to help on a consistent basis this year to ensure the kids safety while they are running in the community as well as make it doable for the leaders. As we all know, spring brings many after school commitments. Traditionally running club has been Monday/Thursday, 3:15-4:15 pm; however, a Tuesday/Thursday schedule is being considered, pending helper's needs and availability. Also, the activities and runs are pre-planned! We truly need your help for supervision, encouragement, and to keep the kids on task! If interested please contact Jenny Morris at (616) 826-2196 or firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP!
ELEMENTARY NEWS AND NOTES
- Weekly Worship - Dec. 14 - All School Small Groups Dec. 21 - All School Christmas worship
- As we prepare for Christmas break we will have "theme days"! (Elementary only). The theme for each day is as follows:
- Monday (17th) - Wear Green
- Tuesday (18Th - Wear a Christmas Hat
- Wednesday (19th) - Wear a Christmas Sweater/Shirt/Socks
- Thursday (20th) - Wear Christmas Sparkle/Bling
- Friday (21st) - Wear Red
- Our teachers have once a month meetings with colleagues during their lunch break. Parents can volunteer to cover a classroom for that day's lunch period. Use the link to sign up to help! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054ea4a82cab9-lunch2. We are in need of help on Monday, Dec. 17, in Mrs. Vredevoogd's room!
- We also like to provide lunch time classroom coverage on Thursdays for teachers so they can enjoy lunch with their colleagues! Sign up here to volunteer! Mrs. Mulder's 4th grade class needs coverage for tomorrow! Also, look ahead into 2019 and sign up! Thanks for your help! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054ea4a82cab9-thursday4.
WEST CAMPUS NEWS AND NOTES
- IPOD Worship - Dec. 14 - All School Small Groups NEXT: Dec. 21 - All School Christmas worship
- West Campus Worship - Dec. 14 - All School Small Groups NEXT: Dec. 21 - All School Christmas worship
- The West Campus students will be going to the 3 Mile Project located on the north side of Grand Rapids. The 3 Mile Project (http://3mp.org/) is an organization that strives to work with church groups and school groups to provide a fun and safe place for teens to hang out and participate in various activities. The West Campus students will be going on Thursday, Dec. 20. We will be leaving school at 10:45 am and returning at 2:45 pm. Students may bring their lunch to the 3 Mile Project or there will be food sold at the Cafe. See the Middle School and IPOD websites for additional information and list of food costs. There is no cost to go unless your student wants to purchase food.
- Middle School exams will be held on Jan. 10 and 11. The 7th Graders will be taking two exams (US History and Bible) and 8th Graders will be taking four exams (Civics/Geography, Bible, Science, and LA). Both Thursday, Jan. 10, and Friday, Jan. 11, will be half days for just the 7th and 8th Graders with a 12:05 pm dismissal. See parent email for further details.
- Our 7th/8th grade choir had the opportunity to sing at the Ford Airport last Wednesday. We had quite a few listeners and received many positive comments. One airport employee said, "Thank you so much for singing here, you made my day!" A passenger remarked, "It's so nice to hear a powerful Christian testimony in a public place." As a choir we are grateful that God can use us in this powerful way.
- SKI CLUB - 6th, 7th, 8th graders: We will be heading to Bittersweet on Jan. 18, 24, and 30. More dates to be determined. If you are interested in going with us, be sure to sign up on Sign-up-Genius no later than the Monday before we go so we can be sure we have enough drivers. Here is the link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C49AEAA2CAA8-lcsski or you can email Faythe Patterson at email@example.com. If you still need a ski club discount card, please bring your forms and money to school by Dec 12. Many of you have your cards - feel free to head out with your families over Christmas break! Let me know if you have any questions!
Keep sending in your TerraCycle items! TerraCycle is once again offering Holiday Bonus Bucks through the end of the year. Almost every single shipment we send in earns Holiday Bonus Bucks. We are working on maximizing all our shipments to earn as many bonuses as possible. These are cash bonuses on top of the money they pay us for our trash. Remember to TerraCycle your cereal and cracker bags, brownie and cake mix bags and #6 solo cups as you bake for the holidays and have parties. Help us earn even more money for school by collecting and sending your TC items to school!
At this time, the TC team is in need of some very LARGE (up to dishwasher sized boxes) and some very SMALL (like the little Amazon boxes that just fit inside your mailbox) shipping boxes. If you have any to contribute please leave them on top of the TC center or near the rollout. Please note that we are currently well stocked with medium sized boxes and don't need anymore of that size. Thank you!
TRASH FOR CASH
- Reminder— if school is closed, Cash & Carry will also be closed.
- Legacy TRIP will be open for Cash & Carry from 7:45-10:00 am, on the following dates in December: Dec. 13 & 20. The only way to guarantee you get everything you need is to order in advance. This is especially true if you need a large amount.
We will carry the following items in December:
· Amazon $10 & Amazon $100 (All Amazon is now CARDS, not paper certificates!)
· Target $10
· Starbucks $5
· Visa $50—1.25% rebate and activation fee!
If you want information on how TRIP works or how to sign up for TRIP, please contact Melody Newhouse (243-6472) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find a copy of the TRIP order form on the Legacy website under “Current Parents” heading, then click on “TRIP”.
MOMS IN PRAYER
This week we will be praying for Tammy Vredevoogd, Melody Newhouse and Erika Cole. It will be our last meeting of the year and we will resume again Jan. 11. Hope to see you there!
FAMILIES BEING PRAYED FOR THIS WEEK BY LEGACY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Prayer is a powerful gift! LCS has always been able to pray for requests as they arise. Our school has also decided to lift up families weekly in prayer. For the remainder of the school year please read which families are being covered in prayer. During that week each student will receive a prayer tag for them to keep and remember they are being covered in extra prayers.
- Jeff & Julie DeMeester - Braden (7th)
- Stephen and Marisa DenBoer - Ethan (5th), Lyla (3rd)
- Aaron & Rhonda Densborn - Moorea (7th) Odeyan (4th) Nanalyse (3rd)
- Leonard & Ann DeRooy - Kallym (1st)
- Ken & Carley DeVries - Jessica (4th) Olivia (2nd) Gabrielle (K)
- Ed & Lauren Peake- Jessica DeVries (4th) Olivia DeVries (2nd) Gabrielle DeVries (K)
- Matt & Kim DeVries - Dylan (7th) Cassidy (5th) Colin (1st)
- Ryan & Rhonda DeWard - Jenna (8th) Jack (6th)
- Ryan & Jan DeWitt - Eli (2nd)
It feels like yesterday…” This phrase may be used regularly throughout your 8th grader’s school year, as you look back on special memories made in elementary or middle school. While you enjoy looking back, we encourage you to look forward to next year as well. Whether you started to explore options for high school a year ago, a month ago or are just starting now, we would like to personally invite you to explore South Christian High School. Save the Date! Explore South Christian Night - Jan. 15, 7:00 pm
- Cashier -South Christian High School in Grand Rapids, Michigan, is seeking applicants for part time Food Service positions ranging from 10-15 hours per week. Hours will range from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. This is a new program that will operate out of our new kitchen on our new campus, so an entrepreneurial spirit is welcome. You will work with the Food Service Manager to implement and grow the program to fit our student and community needs. The positions will include customer service and may include food preparation. South Christian is a vibrant community of 600 students and 40 faculty dedicated to equipping students to live Christ-centered lives and serve God to their greatest potential. The candidate must demonstrate a commitment to Jesus Christ, passion for young people, enjoy helping others, and understand how the mission of the school impacts food preparation. Please send a resume and cover letter to Jim Peterson, at email@example.com.
South Christian High School invites you to attend the Dedication Service (2:00 pm) and Open House (3:00 - 4:30 pm) of the new building on Sunday, Jan. 13. You are also invited to be part of the debt-free plan of raising an additional $2.4 million by year-end. As we give thanks to God for the indescribable gift of a new building, please consider a gift to the SCHS Building with Purpose campaign. Gifts can be mailed to 160 68th Street, SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49548 or feel free to contact Sandy Dobbs (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information. Let’s be debt-free!
Upcoming Dates and Events
12 Hot Lunch Orders Due
14 Elementary Students Community Caroling (1:30-2:30 pm)
20 WC Students go to 3 Mile Project
21 All School Christmas Worship (8:15 am)
21 Half Day of School Dismiss at (11:30 am)
24-31 NO SCHOOL - CHRISTMAS BREAK
1/2 NO SCHOOL - CHRISTMAS BREAK
3/4 NO SCHOOL - TfT Training
7 School Resumes
7 Prek/DK/Kdgn Registration Begins for 2019-20
10&11 7th/8th Grade Exams - Will Dismiss at 12:05 pm
10 Early Childhood Open House (6:00-8:00 pm)
11 End of 2nd Quarter
14 NO SCHOOL - Teacher Inservice