Memorial Elementary School Newsletter - December 2015
The Memorial staff sends their wishes for all the Memorial students and families to have a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Thank you Girl Scout Troop 17 (Memorial 5th grade class of 2015) for donating the ornaments and decorating the Memorial Christmas Tree. We love it!
Save the Date (s):
1 3:30 - 6:00 Student Council movie night
3 Memorial Night at Papa John's
8 PTO Meeting at 3:30
15 Student/Staff Christmas Sing-a-long
15 This is Our Story** - 7:30 p.m.
17 VCS Board Meeting at Memorial Elementary at 6 p.m.
17 & 18 Holiday Parties
21 - First day of break
4 - School resumes
14 - Last day of second grading period
*This Is Our Story is a 2 Evening Concert and Art Show (December 14 & 15) highlighting choirs, bands, and art students from all Valparaiso Community Schools at the VHS gym. The Memorial Choir will sing on December 15 and the art projects will displayed both evenings.
Thank You Veterans
Fifth grade students performed a reader's theatre of The White Table by Margot Theis Raven.
Sean is thanking his dad, Vince Springer.
Aubrey is thanking her dad, Robert Fugate.
Background Checks Needed
Congratulations Spell Bowl Team
This year Memorial Elementary has added a Science Bowl team, which will compete in January. The M.A.T.H. Bowl team will compete in February.
All students who are car riders should leave the building out the east door (Door 2) and wait along the curb on Milton Street. The students should enter the car along the curb as directed by the staff.
Students who are walkers should proceed out the front door and follow the sidewalks along Park and Milton. If you are generally a walker, but plan to drive during the cold winter months, please send in a note and your child can become a car rider.
If you park on Park Avenue to pick up your child who is a walker, please be mindful of the cars that travel down Center Street and leave plenty of room for them to pass through.
Thank you for your assistance in keeping dismissal safe!
Lost and Found
It is a good idea to put your child's name in their winter clothing items and sweatshirts.
Thank you parents and families for donating items for the Supplies for the Troops and for donating to Backpack and Snacks. Your generosity was most appreciated.
Book Rental Updates
Too Sick For School
Illness is a part of school life. We work closely with the Porter County Health Department when there is any concern of a reportable communicable disease. If a child is diagnosed with a communicable problem, such as strep throat, chicken pox, or head lice, we request that the caregiver inform the school.
Children should be kept at home if they have the following:
- Temperature of 100 degrees or over
- Eye infections with discharge
- Cough associated with fever or continuous unrelieved cough
- Cold symptoms associated with other signs of illness
- Communicable diseases (chicken pox, scabies, impetigo, ringworm, head lice - until treated appropriately)
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Undiagnosed skin eruptions or rashes
*We ask students to be on antibiotic treatment for 24 hours or fever free 24 hours without an analgesic (Tylenol, Motrin, ibuprofen) before returning to school.
Please contact your health care provider or school nurse with questions about the information given here. This information is designed as a guideline for VCS. This is not a substitute for advice from your health care provider
VCS Facilities Plans
NOTES & REMINDERS:
- Please send a note, or email Mrs. Molnar, in the morning with all changes in transportation. When calls are made during the busy school day, there is a chance that the message may get delayed and/or not delivered. If you have an emergency during the day, which merits a change in transportation, the best way to send the message is to Mrs. Molnar's email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students may not carry medicine with them throughout the school day, this includes Inhalers and cough drops. Please talk to Mrs. Keenan, the school nurse, about your child's medical needs.
- If your child is late to school (after the 8:45 bell) please walk them into the office and sign them in.
- If you need a copy of the School Wellness Policy, please ask in the office. There is a list of acceptable birthday/classroom treats.
- If you have not completed a Background Check this school year, please do so ASAP. This needs to be done for all visitors and volunteers that are coming to school during the school day. If you are unsure if you have completed one this school year, please call the school office.
- If you need a sign for your car for the Pick-Up Line, please call the office.