The Cougar Connection
Weekly Update for Families - August 18, 2022
Office Hours 7 AM - 3:30 PM
Attendance (Please call direct line)
Attendance Hotline 913.993.7245 (All Day)
Attendance Office 913.993.7242 (Partial Day)
From Dr. Gruman
Dear Northwest Families,
We have enjoyed a wonderful week with our students! This has been an exciting time to welcome our students into their classes and our new spaces. Today we held our Everyday Champions Assembly to frame our focus as members of our Northwest Community. We hosted 9th and 12th grade together and 10th and 11th grade together. In that setting Mr. Eichman was able to teach them the new lyrics to our Fight Song. Mr. Giacalone and I shared some thoughts with our students. Our student leaders shared their thoughts with our students. Our Cougar Pride was showing through our spirited cheer and dance squads and pep band.
Here are some highlights from that assembly to share with our families:
- Building community and supporting student success starts with a purposeful foundation and focus. Our foundation rests on three core tenets.
- We Are Demanding, Not Demeaning - we will maintain high expectations for our students and support them each step on this journey to meet those expectations. Those expectations include how we take care of our spaces, how we show respect and kindness to each other and our staff, and how we give our best effort each day. We are here to coach our students if they are not meeting those expectations to help them grow and learn.
- We Believe All Students Can Learn - this sounds very basic on the surface. As educators, this means we will work relentlessly to make sure every student has the opportunity to learn and succeed. Not every student responds to each learning environment in the same way. We have support systems in place to provide re-teaching and smaller group instruction as needed.
- We Recognize the Value of Every Student - we see the gift each one of our students brings to our Northwest Community. We are a better school because of each individual student and their contributions. We see each individual student and recognize that every journey is unique. We celebrate each student and are grateful to walk this path alongside of them. We encourage our students to get involved - we have numerous clubs and activities for them to choose among. Some students only have time for classes, so we encourage them to contribute their talents in an elective or area of interest to them.
- Everyday Champions - we get to be champions everyday by putting in the effort in our classes, being kind to one another, respecting each other and our spaces, taking care of our new spaces to keep them welcoming for future years, and finding ways to get involved. We are proud to be Northwest.
We hope to see you all at Back to School Night - starting at 6:30 pm tonight!
All the best,
Dr. Lisa Gruman
August 18 - Back to School Night @ 6:30 pm
- Spirit Wear Sales 5:30 - 6:15
August 22 - Sports Parent Mtg. @ 6:30
August 31st - Bonfire Assembly (Wednesday)
- - - Breaking News - - -
Back to School Night Tonight
Don't miss this opportunity to visit your student's classrooms and meet their teachers! We will begin class rotations at 6:30pm.
There is an optional meeting for parents about College Credit Opportunities at 5:45 in the Auditorium (more info below)
Spirit Wear sale in the Mall from 5:30 - 6:15.
Don't miss this NW shopping event!
Thursday, Aug 18, 2022, 06:30 PM
12701 West 67th Street, Shawnee, KS, USA
Yearbook Photos - October 4th
Back-to-School Night’s “College Credit During High School” Presentation will start at 5:45. Please join us in the auditorium.
· Enrollment Opens – August 22
· DEADLINE Priority Application – August 26
o Last day JCCC guarantees they will be able to process applications so students can enroll on time.
· DEADLINE Accuplacer & Enrollment – September 16
From the Nurse
If your student has a medication that cannot be taken at home before or after the school day, then please contact the health office to make arrangements for medication drop-off. This form will need to be completed & turned in with the medication https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1525187393/smsdorg/upgupqlfd2dylufc5hni/medication-guidelines-permission-form.pdf (copies are available in the health office). Please be sure the medication is in the original bottle with the correct Rx label attached.
Juniors Vaccination Requirements
We must have verification of a completed MCV4 vaccine (meningitis ACWY, not meningitis B) for all juniors by early October. A dose after turning 16 is required, regardless of receiving this same vaccine in middle school. If records are not received by the first exclusion date in October (TBD), students will not be permitted to attend school until verification is provided. Email vaccination records to email@example.com, or make sure they’re submitted along with sports physicals in the fall (if applicable).
Leaving School When Sick
All students leaving school because of illness should check out through the health office by requesting a nurse pass via E-Pass . It is especially important that the nurse is aware of illnesses in order to help keep our school & outside community healthy.
Paying Online with eFunds
2022 - 2023 Online Fee Payment:
- Follow link www.smsd.org/families/pay-fees
New this year, fee waiver requests will be based on qualification for free or reduced lunch support. You may complete the application for lunch support after July 1 at the following link: https://www.schoolcafe.com/SHAWNEEMISSION.
The Child Nutrition Meal Program Application is available on Skyward or can be found on School Cafe.
SMSD families can apply for Child Nutrition Meal Benefits on School Café - https://www.schoolcafe.com/SHAWNEEMISSION
Additional food service information is available on the district’s website at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service.
DS Bus Lines
ALL general education students who ride the bus are required to register with DS Bus Lines.
To register or pay for busing visit DS Bus Lines website.
Sign up for Textcaster Alerts here to receive text messages when a bus is delayed more than 10 minutes. This is very convenient during times of bad weather. Contact DS Bus Lines at 913-384-1190 with any questions.
August 22 - Fall Sports Meeting @ 6:30pm
August 26 - Football Jamboree @ North Stadium - 5:30
Bonfire Assembly - Please note date change from previous calendar:
Bonfire Assembly has been moved to Wednesday evening, August 31st.