Trexler Middle School - Promoting Excellence
We are off to a fantastic start AVIDizing our school and students! All students should have their materials for each class and their binders set up by the following guidelines:
- Dividers for each class and all materials in the appropriate sections
- Agenda is filled out and used every day, every class, even if there is no homework!
- Zipper pouch has pens, pencils, highlighters, scissors, coloring materials, and glue.
- Cornell Notes are complete with questions and summaries!
- No strays! All papers should be filed in its appropriate section, not stuffed in a book bag or in the front cover of binder!
- Do not let your backpack look like this!
PTO Sponsored Dance
On September 23rd, AVID students welcomed guest speakers Rhonda Norris and Dr. Emily Byers from Smithfield Hog Product Division in Kenansville, North Carolina. Throughout the presentation, the students learned from Ms. Norris about the various career opportunities available for the Smithfield Corporation. As the Human Resources Director, Ms. Norris emphasized the importance of education and how it equates to salary. She also explained careers that extend beyond animals, and the company employs farmers, truck drivers, mechanics, etc. Dr. Byers discussed her role as a veterinarian who specializes in pigs. She also outlined several math word problems and how they relate to her daily job. Students were given the opportunity to win door prizes by answering questions from the presenters.
Football lost a heart breaker to Swansboro Middle School this week. They play again against Jacksonville Commons Middle School on Tuesday, September 27, 2016.
- AVID: Camp Don Lee trip is October 14. All money for this trip must be turned in by September 30th!
- Everyone is invited to attend Onslow County College Fair at Northside High School on the evening of September 28th. Come meet representatives and recruiters from 50+ colleges and universities and gather materials from your favorite schools. The event is open to middle school students from 6:00 - 6:30 and high school students from 6:30 - 8:00.
Federal Impact Aid Cards
Impact Aid Cards (formerly known as Federal Cards) will be sent home with students on Monday, September 26th. The Impact Aid Program is a federal program that allocates funds to school districts in which the federal government owns a large portion of land. Onslow County Schools receives a significant amount of funding each school year from this program so it is very important that these cards are filled out correctly and returned in a timely manner. Instructions are printed on the back of each card. Please thoroughly read the instructions and fill the cards out IN PENCIL to return with your student on September 27th. Please note that this program has no connection to personal property tax or local sales tax and that we must have a card for every student regardless of their affiliation with the military!
If you have any questions, please contact your student’s homeroom teacher or the school Data Manager, Amy Rowntree.