Issue 12 - 16 September 2021
WHAKATANE HIGH SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
E ngā reo, e ngā mana, rau rangatira mā, ngā matā waka, tēnei te mihi nui atu ki ā koutou katoa. Ko te wawata me te tumanako ka noho ora mai koutou katoa.
Welcome back to school
As everyone will know, this Term has been disrupted by Covid Lockdowns and importantly our work has been around continuing to ensure students are keeping well, learning, making progress and achieving. Being back at school has provided some normality for us all. I would like to thank parents and caregivers for supporting your young people through the lockdown and encouraging them to continue learning as best as you could. I am thankful for our dedicated and committed teachers who led with their hearts, supporting our young people for distance learning.
A reminder that we are at Covid Alert Level 2 and this is the link for the plan: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gz35iroxKHpcuQnINvSyRxdzHrcZsAKudQp4H_5hcX8/edit?usp=sharing
Our response as a school to ensure our students are well and are achieving has meant we have had extended Mentoring time, but also made some changes to Term 3 and 4 for the senior students - a copy of the timetable is below. Importantly, in Mentoring time this week, our senior students are planning and prioritising work for Week 9 catch up week. senior students identified that they wanted the flexibility to catch up and prioritise work. Week 9 (Catch Up Week) is this week. Students can go to their timetabled classes but have the option to complete any work from any of their classes. The Technology and Art department rooms will be available for students to complete projects or folios.
At Alert Level 2 we have decided not to host the scheduled Meet The Teacher Evening that was due to be held in Week 6. As parents of senior students, we would like you to talk with your child around their plan for Catch Up Week, and if you do need to contact a teacher around achievement and learning, please email the teacher. All contact details can be found here: https://www.whakatanehigh.school.nz/our-school-staff-contact-list
The Board of Trustees has approved vaccinations being held at the school on Wednesday 29 September. Te Puna Ora o Mataatua are facilitating the vaccinations with qualified staff, and these will be available to all students. To ensure your child is vaccinated on the day, the following will need to happen:
- Consent forms will be available to students on Friday 17 September. There will be a limited amount given out at Mentoring, but if anyone misses out, they will be available at our school reception. These will have to be completed in full and returned to the school reception by Monday 27 September.
- Completing the forms means we will allocate a time for your child to be vaccinated on the day. The school is coordinating this. We have the ability to complete up to 500 vaccinations on the day, but this is only dependent on interest.
- After the vaccination, after a 20 minute period in the hall, students are to return to class.
- Second vaccinations are possible on this day for students who have had their first. Te Puna Ora o Mataatua has a national database which has this data recorded.
Here's some information from the Ministry of Health: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P-A5HMyHU0DUhk4l9nZ0VWX6L1Wnwif9/view?usp=sharing
We want to reiterate that the choice to be vaccinated is your choice, but the opportunity to be vaccinated on 29 September is available. The Covid vaccinations are being prioritised over the MMR vaccinations and we will have more information in Term 4.
We are really proud of who we are as a school, and this has been reflected with our continued roll growth and interest in our school from the community. Enrolments are flowing and interviews have begun this week. It's great to meet all these enthusiastic Year 8 students as they plan for the next 5 years of their schooling.
If you have a child in Year 8, here is a link to the Prospectus and enrolment information https://www.whakatanehigh.school.nz/enrolments. To capture the experience of transitioning to Year 9 and the journey through Whakatane High School, please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeBt2lgbi7s
All Year 8 students require an interview, so if you have a Year 8 student please visit www.schoolinterviews.co.nz and use the booking code 'wfene'.
Open Day and Evening
The Open Day and Evening has been changed to Tuesday 19 October. All contributing schools have been sent details of the times they are to visit during the day. If you have a Year 8 student, please liaise with their current school for timing.
The Open Evening will begin at 5.30pm with tours of the school, followed by a presentation in the hall at 6.30pm. We look forward to welcoming everyone to our school.
The level 3 Hospitality students are hosting a restaurant evening and fundraising event at Mataatua Te Mānuka Tūtahi on October 30 2021 at 6.00pm.
This is a large degustation dinner event for 100 guests. This event will allow us to showcase the skills that our Level 3 Hospitality students have been gaining this year. They have developed well and are looking forward to putting what they have learnt on display.
Alongside the students who are cooking for this event, we are also enlisting the help of students throughout the whole school to fill some positions such as hosting, entertainment, dishwashing, bartending and serving.
Limited tickets are still available as are fundraising possibilities through silent auctions. If your team or student is interested in raising funds to go towards their school activities, or if you have something to contribute, please get in contact with email@example.com.
The government has decided that students disrupted by 16 days of COVID-19 lockdown this year will be eligible to receive Learning Recognition Credits (LRC's) at a rate of 1 LRC per 5 credits achieved in 2021, up to a cap of 8 LRC's at NCEA Level 1 and 6 LRC's at Level 2 & 3.
The thresholds for being awarded Endorsements & University Entrance will remain the same for WHS.
- NCEA with Merit – a completed NCEA qualification with at least 50 credits at Merit or Excellence.
- NCEA with Excellence – a completed NCEA qualification with at least 50 credits at Excellence.
- 14 or more credits at Merit and/or
- Excellence within a school course.
- At least 3 of these credits from externally assessed standards and 3 credits from internally assessed standards
- NCEA Level 3 with three subjects - at Level 3, made up of 14 credits in each of three approved subjects.
We are in the beginning stages of organisation for this annual event and would like to ask that all 2020 trophy recipients please return these trophies, to enable us to present them to the 2021 winners.
Welcome to your Year 9 and Year 10 Junior Business Studies experience, where there are no prerequisites, other than an inquiring mind, courage and an innovative nature. Click here to begin your journey.
Student Election Update
Given the alert level changes recently, the Ministry of Education has made the decision to extend the nomination period for the Student Representative on the Board of Trustees.
NOMINATIONS WILL NOW CLOSE ON FRIDAY 24 SEPTEMBER.
Once nominations close, voting papers will be issued, and you will have until noon, Wednesday 27 October to vote for your new Student Representative.
So, keep those nominations coming by filling out a nomination form at the Student Office during interval or lunchtime.
For the full calendar of events, check out this link:
- Year 9 Enrolments - 13 Sept to 1 Oct and 18 to 28 Oct
- Dive Whitianga - 25-27 September
- Rangiatea Snow Trip - Tuesday 21 to Wednesday 22 Sept
- Employ EBOP Expo - Thursday 23 September
- Sports Team/Group Photos - Friday 24 September
- Noho - Tuesday 28 September to Friday 1 October
- Covid Vaccinations - Wednesday 29 September
- School Cross Country - Friday 1 October
- Last Day Term 3 - Friday 1 October
- First Day Term 4 - Monday 18 October
- Year 8 Open Day and Evening - Tuesday 19 October
(Senior students are to study at home on this day)
- Year 9 Ballot Day - Friday 29 October
Iti Pounamu - homework club
- English: B5
- Social Sciences: B7
- PE: G1
- Art: C Block
- Maths: N4
- Languages: A2, A4
- Science: L4/L5
- Technology: Tech block
- Music and drama: M1, M2
Student Health Notice
Health services provided FREE in school:
- School Nurse: daily except Wednesday morning
- School Doctor: Tuesdays P2
- Nutritionist/Dietitian: Weekly on Wednesday morning
Visit the Student Office to make an appointment.