By: Nicholas Sparks
- Travis Parker: One of the two main characters and narrators of the novel. He has a good job, great friends, and a pretty much perfect life. It becomes even more perfect when he meet the girl of his dreams
- Gabby Holland: The second main character and narrator of this novel. She moves into Beaufort, North Carolina early in this novel and realizes that it may just be her new home forever.
- Stephanie Parker: Travis's sister and eventually one of Gabby's best friends. She immediately takes a liking to Gabby and knows that she is the one for her big brother.
- Kevin: Gabby's boyfriend at the beginning of the book. He is a successful man that loves to golf, and the reason Gabby moved to Beaufort.
- Liard: One of Travis's best friends, who is married to Allison.
- Joe: Another one of Travis's best friends that is married to Megan.
- Matt: Travis's third best friend that is married to Liz.
- Christine: Travis and Gabby's eight year old daughter
- Lisa: Travis and Gabby's six year old daughter
- Gretchen: Gabby's nurse through a large part of her injury and hospital/nursing home stay.
- One of the main issues in the story is that Gabby has a boyfriend and has to act like she is uninterested in Travis.
- We know at the beginning that Travis is at a hospital, and later find out that Gabby has gotten into an awful accident.
- Gabby is in a coma and we do not know if she will ever come out of it, because she has been in it for over three months.
When Was I Surprised?
I was most surprised when I found out that the reason Travis was at the hospital was because his wife was in a coma. Gabby worked at the hospital and the beginning made it sound like the couple was just in a fight and separated, but finding out this news was a little crazy and scary. The reader does not know if she will live or not.