January 19, 2016
Thoughts for the week...
Looking good Terri and John....featured on the district's main webpage for leading Unami in United Way Spirit!
One of our building goals this year is to focus on how our grading practices can have a positive impact on students' learning. This video from The Teaching Channel highlights a strategy that requires students to focus on the learning, not the grade. California middle-school teacher, Leah Alcala, demonstrates her new method of grading tests. She highlights each student’s errors, doesn’t give a grade, and has students look over their tests and talk through each mistake with classmates and with her. Only later can students check their grade online. They can re-take the test, using a different version. Another option would be to have students re-test on only skills they had not mastered. Alcala says this approach gets students focused on the mathematics rather than grades. One goal, she says, is to “normalize the process of making mistakes.”
“Math Test Grading Tips” by Leah Alcala on The Teaching Channel, January 2016,
GOOGLE NOTIFICATION ON DISTRICT INTRANET SITE
9TH GRADE ASSESSMENT
Timeline for the upcoming Mid-Year 9A assembly and reflection:
- Week of Jan. 18 (you may also use Monday, January 25, if needed)
- Activity in English Classes with 9th grade students (the same one delivered last year; I will forward more information on this shortly).
- Week of Jan. 25
- Whole 9th grade assembly on Jan. 27 during Resource
- Assembly follow-up activity (same as last year) conducted by 9th grade Resource teachers in Resource on Jan. 28 (a guide and guidance for delivery of the activity will be shared with 9th grade teachers shortly).
- Jan. 30-Feb. 12
- Mid-Year Reflection in assigned computer labs (Holly Kilpatrick is currently looking at lab assignments).
For the Mid-Year Reflection:
Take your class to your assigned computer lab during your assigned Resource period. Have students access their reflection from their I-Drives and complete the mid-year reflection (column 2 checklist and the February short response on page 2 – see attached form). Students will then drop their updated form into the “O” Drive - “9A Unami” - “STU_DROP_FOLDER”. You may choose to re-show part of the video from the beginning of the year (http://www.screencast.com/t/FtVj5hAp - minute 1:40-2:45) to give students a visual reminder of the saving process. Let me know if you have any questions.
MLK DAY - NO SCHOOLS
- Unami United - 9th Grade Only (Cyber-Bullying Follow-Up Lesson)
- SSR - 7th & 8th Grades (Team Journey to computer labs for field trip selections)
- Student Council - Resource Period
- MBIT Tour Field Trip - 8 to 10:40
- Parent Council - 9AM
CB SCHOOL BOARD POLICIES
Just a reminder to everyone from our 1st day faculty meeting that the expectation has been set from Dr. Weitzel that all CB teachers are familiar with the specific CB School Board Policies listed below. Please be sure to take some time to review these policies.