Athens State In-Service Center
Fall has finally arrived!
There are several opportunities for professional learning this month. Check out the upcoming conferences and other PD offerings.
In addition to professional learning opportunities, there are some teacher resources included this month for use with your students. Check out the AMSTI Iron Bowl STEM Challenge, the Statistics in Schools resource on the 2020 Census, and the Art and Writing opportunity for students in grades 7-12.
Lastly, Region 2 is filled with many great educators. This month's newsletter recognizes a few of them. If you work with them, give them a high five and congratulate them on a job well done. We are all in this together.
If you have any questions about any of these opportunities or resources, please let us know. You can contact Patty Maze (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Holly Wood (email@example.com) with your questions.
Have a great November!
Director, Athens State In-Service Center
Spotlight on Cullman City Schools
Check out some of the great things happening in Cullman City Schools.
Needs Assessment Survey Results
Top Five Professional Learning Topics (Classroom Teachers, Counselors, Librarians, Other)
1. Differentiated Instruction
2. Reading Strategies
3. Classroom Management/Behavior Support Systems
4. Technology Integration
5. Writing Strategies
Top Five Professional Learning Topics (Administrators)
1. PLU Opportunities
2. Classroom Management/Behavior Support Systems
3. PowerSchool Professional Learning Training
4. Differentiated Instruction
5. Small-Group Instruction
Be looking for upcoming professional learning opportunities that address these topics. If you have specific presenters that you would like to hear related to any of the above topics, please let us know. We are always looking for great presenters.
Powerful Conversations Network - North
The next PCN North session will take place on Thursday, December 5. We will be at the Beasley Center again. If your school has a team attending these sessions, please be sure to RSVP by Monday, November 18, using this link PCN North #2 Registration.
2019-2020 PCN Meetings
December 5, 2019 - The Beasley Center, First United Methodist Church, Athens (9:00-2:30 PM)
March 5, 2019 - The Beasley Center, First United Methodist Church, Athens (9:00-2:30 PM)
Instructional Rounds TBD**Participating in one Instructional Round is required for a PLU.
Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) Winner
Congratulations to Sue Noah (center), Kindergarten teacher at iAcademy in Athens City Schools. She recently received the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching State Award in Washington D.C. The PAEMST is the highest recognition that a kindergarten through 12th grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.
To nominate an outstanding STEM teacher today click on the word "PAEMST" below. it will directly connect you to the nomination site. All state winners receive a trip to Washington D.C. and a cash award of $10,000.
Literacy Legacies Conference 2019
Phonics First Primary Training
IMPACT PD: Dual Language Learner Instruction for PreK Teachers
- Five engaging Online Professional Development Modules have been created from Dual Language Learner experts around the nation. Pre-K teachers are invited to participate in the third cohort of IMPACT-PD Online PD Module.
- Participants will develop an expertise in working with DLLs and their families, receive STI-PD credit (50 hours), receive a $300 stipend and may be eligible to receive UAB course credit.
- Please complete the application through this link by Friday, December 20th: https://uab.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3qN15er9tzM4eG1
If you have any questions, contact Julie Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org or (205)-996-1060.
Upcoming Training: Creating an ACLD PLU in PowerSchool
Date: December 3, 2019
Time: 8:30 - 11:30 AM (ACLD PLU in PowerSchool) 11:30-1:30 ("Lunch and Learn" PowerSchool Professional Learning Platform) Lunch will be provided.
Location: AMSTI/In-Service Center (1115 Highway 31 S, Athens)
Registration Link will be added soon. Please check back.
National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT) Happenings
Coming up in November, we will be unpacking Component 2. The date for this meeting is Monday, November 18, 2019, from 4:30-7:00 PM.
Teachers are welcome to attend any of the monthly meetings. There are two locations to choose from, Morgan County Educator Resource Center and Cullman City Board of Education. All meetings are free for anyone interested in attending.
Lawrence County teachers - Your next NBCT meeting is December 3 on Component 2. This meeting will be at the Lawrence County Board of Education Board Room.
Below is the link for the list of scheduled monthly meetings for the 2019-2020 school year. If you have any questions about becoming a National Board Teacher, please contact Patty Maze at email@example.com or 256-233-6574.
2019 NBCT Renewal Candidates
Amy Williamson - Blount County
*Felicia Chambers - Cullman County
Janet Turner - Cullman County
*Morris Williams - Cullman County
*Misty Oliver - Decatur City
*Jennifer Williams - Decatur City
Shane Carpenter - Limestone County
Linda Schmidt - Limestone County
*Amberlyn Scott - Oneonta City
*The information above was obtained by the NBCT Directory and certain candidates may have obtained renewal in 2018. Congratulations to all recent NBCT Renewals. If you obtained renewal this year, and your name does not appear above, please contact us and let us know. Omissions are not intentional.
Alabama NBCT Conference
Saturday, Jan. 25th 2020 at 8am-3:30pm
5476 Caldwell Mill Road
Any Region 2 NBCT Candidate is invited to attend for free, compliments of the Athens State In-Service Center. Region 2 NBCT Candidates will need to RSVP at this link https://forms.gle/F1uMVf928tne2g2h9 by Monday, November 25. Region 2 teachers teach in one of the following districts: Athens City, Blount County, Cullman City, Cullman County, Decatur City, Hartselle City, Lawrence County, Limestone County, Morgan County, or Oneonta City Schools. If you have any questions please contact Patty Maze at firstname.lastname@example.org.
29th Annual Conference of Learning Forward Alabama
Date: November 21-22
Location: Hyatt Regency-Wynfrey Hotel, Hoover, Alabama
Cost: Registration $150 (Postmarked after October 31st or onsite)
For more information visit https://al.learningforward.org.
A Registration Form can be found here:
Alabama Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference
- November 14-15
- McWane Science Center, Birmingham, Alabama
- Theme: Making Math Matter
- For more information and registration information, visit https://acotom.wildapricot.org/event-3471424.
AMSTI Iron Bowl STEM Competition
All students in grades K-12 can participate.
1. Go to www.amti.org and choose your STEM Challenge Task.
2. Create groups of 2-5 students based on their favorite team, Auburn or Alabama.
3. Each group will complete the STEM challenge to the best of their ability!
4. Take pictures or videos of each group's completed challenge and post to social media.
a. Tag @AMSTI4all (works for all social media platforms)
b. Use #AMSTiironbowl AND #wareagle OR #rolltide to vote for your team.
5. The deadline for posting your projects will be Tuesday, November 26.
Scholastic Art and Writing Awards
- Teens in grades 7-12 can apply in 29 categories of art and writing for a chance to win scholarships and have their work exhibited and published.
- The submission portal is open from September 12, 2019-December 12, 2019.
- For more information, visit