OLHMS Weekly 3/14/23
Happy Pi Day!
Tuesday's Top of the Mind Topics: Cell Phones/ Social Media and Parent Survey
Did you know that the largest student infraction at OLHMS is the misuse of "Electronic Devices?"
- Currently, we have over 380 write ups of student misuse of electronic devices. Please remind our scholars that their phone should be turned off and locked in their lockers daily.
- This is also a great reminder, critically important is monitoring the use of our scholars' devices. We are inundated with social media concerns taking place outside of school or on the weekends! Please remain vigilant with what is happening on social media- TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram are consuming our scholars! Here is the perspective from the National Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) thinking about whether or not TikTok, Snapchat and Instagram are safe for kids. Keep in mind each platform indicates a 13+ age rating.
Did you know that only 12% of OLHMS parents have completed the 5Essentials School Survey? Your input is extremely important and only takes a few minutes!
- This survey provides a platform for students, teachers, and parents to express their opinions on ways to improve their community's schools. Please take a moment to ensure your voice is part of the process by participating in the survey. The 5Essentials survey helps school administrators in District 123 prioritize and plan for the upcoming school year. Our school will only receive the results of the survey if enough families, staff, and students participate.
Well done to all of our volleyball and basketball scholar-athletes! Each of our teams have concluded their seasons. Congratulations to our 7th Grade Boys Basketball Team for winning the SWIC Conference Tournament! We enjoyed their championship parade this afternoon!
We are equally as excited for our OLHMS Band and Chorus, both earned a Division 1 rating and will be headed to state! We would love to host another parade for them!
Report cards are available in Skyward Family Access. Locating your child’s report card can be done in three simple steps. First, log in to Skyward Family Access. Next, choose the “portfolio” option from the menu on the left-hand side of the page. Finally, select your student’s report card from the list.
Parent University (ONLINE): Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 6:30pm
“It Starts With You" - Restorative Practices for Families - Part 2
School District 123 is continuing to ensure students and classrooms are “Learning Ready” and working toward creating positive and inclusive environments for all. This spring, leadership teams and staff members have embarked upon training and discussions regarding the role restorative practices plays within the culture, climate, and disciplinary structure of district schools. During this Parent University, a representative from the Restorative Group will be sharing information about building strong relationships at home while improving the connection with your child and increasing their confidence.
This is the second of a six-part Parent University
series on the topic that will run through the spring and fall of 2023. Part 3 will take place on
April 13, 2023, with the remainder of the sessions scheduled for the Fall of 2023.
Join the presentation on March 15, 2023 at 6:30pm.
d123.org/parentuniversity (Archived presentations can be located here as well)
Traffic and Buses: Thanks to our families who have continued to be respectful of our one way during arrival and dismissal. If you have a family member dropping off student(s) or adjusted your routine, please remind them of this one way pattern on Oak Center Dr.
- It is very helpful to pull all the way up on the circle to drop off students or allow them to walk the circle drive to the entrance. We have been experiencing some delays due to cars stopping at the entrance of the half circle.
- Our main entrance is for buses only. Parents should not be using the main entrance to drop students off in the morning(8:30am) or pick them up during dismissal(3:20pm).
OLHMS Career Fair: DO you love your job and love to share your expertise with others? Do you love presenting and talking to young adults? If you answered YES, to all three, please reach out about presenting in our OLHMS Career Fair on April 6th. Please contact our 8th grade counselor, Mrs. Vanessa Follmar, at VFollmar@d123.org.
Skyward Family Access: Make sure you are checking/ logging into Skyward Family Access routinely. This is a great place to obtain supportive information such as student's courses, bus routes, student fees/ debts.
Student Debts: Please make sure to review student debts via Family Access. There are multiple students who have accumulated debts purchasing items from the cafeteria and lost ID's.
Student IDs: Please remind our scholars that they should be maintaining and wearing their student ID daily. Students do receive charges for lost, missing or damaged ID's.
Class of 2023 Reminder/ Update
A reminder email and posting on our scholar's Google Classroom was just sent with updated information for our Class of 2023! If you you have an 8th Grade scholar and did not receive the update, please ask your child to view their Google Classroom! Here is the LINK with the original information. Current 8th grade scholars should be making their payments online and completing the application if they are interested in being a SELECT 123 Scholar!
OLHMS PTSA: Next Meeting 4/3/23
All staff and families are highly encouraged to join the PTSA and attend meetings. This is an incredible opportunity, partnership and fun way to support our scholar’s experience at the middle school!
- Thank you all of the families attending our last meeting. We had a great discussion about mental health and welcomed some new faces!
- The Century Fundraiser items are expected to arrive between April 3rd -6th. Thank you for supporting!
Membership can be online using this link: https://olhmsptsa.memberhub.com/store
3/15/23: OLHMS Choral Experience in partnership with Hannum and Hometown
3/16/23: Club and Activity Yearbook Pictures, Thor is visiting- 6th Grade
3/22/23: Ramadan Begins
3/23/23: Variety Show
3/27-3/31: Spring Break
4/3/23: 8th Grade College Tour, EDGE Graduation (6th Grade), PTSA Meeting
4/4/23: Staff Institute (No School)
4/6/23: Erin’s Law Presentations (AM), Career Fair (PM)
4/7 & 4/10/23: No School
4/12-4/14/23: IAR Testing
4/27/23: D123 Art Show
4/28/23: Service Day
2023-24 School District Calendar Approved
High School Happenings
2023 Viewbook: Learn what IMSA is all about! Our Application for the Academy is open!
IMSA Profile: Information about matriculation, courses, and colleges that our students attend