York County 4-H Blast
May 4, 2018
4-H Foodstand Sign Up
District and State Horse entries are due to the office May 11th.
Weekly Dog Clinic
Meets every Tuesday starting May 15th.
6:30 - 7:30 pm
York County Fairgrounds
Sheep & Goat Weigh Day
Thursday, May 24
York County Fairgrounds
What The Cluck?!
Come learn all about how to raise and show poultry.
Taught By: Brett Krielfels -Nebraska Extension Educator and the Nebraska State Fair Poultry Show Superintendent will be our expert.
What: Brett will walk us through the process of buying, raising and showing chickens. Youth will then have the opportunity to practice showmanship one on one with Brett as the judge
When: May 25th from 10-Noon, Noon -1:00 (Optional)
10-11 a.m. - purchasing your chicken, feeding and caring for your chicken.
11 a.m. - 12 p.m. –Walk through the fair book classes offered, and learn about showmanship
12-1 p.m. - one on one time practicing showmanship with Brett as the judge (this is optional and participants can bring their own chicken if they want.
Added incentive: Orschlens is offering one FREE chicken to all participants of this workshop, while supplies last. Must register for workshop in advance. Then, pick up your certificate at the Extension office and pick up your chicken from Orschlens.
2018 Fair Books Are Here!
YQCA - Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (Quality Assurance)
In 2018, all youth ages 8-18 enrolled in any of following animal projects will need to complete YQCA training: • Beef (bucket calf, feeder calf, breeding beef, market beef) • Dairy cattle • Goat (breeding meat goat, dairy goat, meat goat) • Poultry • Rabbit • Sheep (breeding sheep, market sheep) • Swine (breeding swine, market swine)
Youth must be currently enrolled at https://ne.4honline.com
In York County, youth may choose one of two options to complete their YQCA requirements:
• Complete online training at https://yqca.learngrow.io. Cost is $12. For directions and more information, visit https://4h.unl.edu/yqca. Once training is complete, send completed certificates to Tanya Crawford, firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Extension Office. If certificates are not submitted, we have no way of knowing if trainings have been completed. No certificate = No Certification
• Attend a face-to-face training. Once a date is set the 4-H member must sign up online and pay the YQCA Fee of $3.00 BEFORE the training. To sign up for face to face trainings, you must go to https://learngrow.io . The training will cost $3 payable by credit or debit card on the website. We cannot take payments in person; all families must register and pay online. Then at the training, you will pay the Nebraska Extension – York County $5. You must sign in as proof of attendance. After the training, Tanya will go in and issue the certification.
Deadline to complete Youth for Quality Care of Animals (Quality Assurance) is June 15. If you have further questions, contact Tanya Crawford at 402-362-5508 or email@example.com
Face to Face YQCA
Monday, May 21st, 1-2:30pm
York High School FFA Room
The Face to Face session of Youth Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) has been set! May 21st 1:00 -2:30 at the York High FFA Room. Follow the link below to register and pay. You must register and pay online to be eligible to attend the class! You may also take the online YQCA and complete it on your own time if that works better.
Jr Camp Registration Now Open
Jr Camp on-line registration is now open. See the flyer below for more information. May 11th is the early bird registration deadline. Camper spots, if available, after the 11 will be on a first come, first serve basis.
The camp registration site-
Raise Your Hand Promotion
The National 4-H Council Raise Your Hand promotion has begun! Now through May 15, the three states across the nation with the most hands raised will win $20,000, $10,000 and $5,000. Nebraska wants to be in that winner circle!
Raising your hand is as easy as 1, 2, 3:
1. Raise Your Hand: Go to 4-H.org/RaiseYourHand to vote for Nebraska.
2. Compete for Your State: Raising your hand is a vote towards a $20,000, $10,000 or $5,000 award for the states with the most hands raised.
3. Pay It Forward: Tweet, post and share your #4HGrown support and ask your network to raise their hands at 4-H.org/RaiseYourHand.
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.