Explanation of the Stamp Act
The Stamp Act places a tax on almost all printed material in the colonies- everything from newspapers and pamphlets to wills and playing cards.
- For every skin or piece of vellum or parchment, or sheet or piece of paper, on which shall be ingrossed, written or printed....(anything!).
- For all papers and every newspaper containing public news or occurrences, which shall be printed or dispersed.
- Every pack of playing cards and all dices
- For every almanack or calendar... which shall be printed or written on skin
- Every instrument note, memorandum, letter, or any other instrument for writing.