Miss Branchick's Newsletter
February 8-12, 2016
Groups of students worked together build the tallest structure using just spaghetti noodles, string, tape, and marshmallows.
The group who could get their marshmallow the highest, was the winner!
The students worked on this challenge to see how rules and jobs are a necessary component in every day life.
Weekly Reading Assessment- Question 21
Scholastic Book Orders
Orders can be submitted any time you or I place an order because I have free shipping this year =)
I placed a HUGE order in January thanks to a DCEF grant. Scholastic sent us a class set of coupons for a FREE $5 book pick when you spent $10 or more in February.
I don't want these to go to waste, so if you place an order- let me know, and I will have your child pick one out here at school! You can still place your order online or via check sent into school.
New book order forms will be going home this week.
This week in room 506
Miss Branchick's Math Class-
Unit 14- Metric Measurement
Monday- Unit 14 Assessment
Tuesday- Acuity Assessment
Unit 15- Data, Graphs, and Probability
Wednesday- Vocabulary, Lesson 20-1 Organizing Data and Lesson 20-2 Reading Pictographs and Bar Graphs
Thursday- Lesson 20-3 Making Pictographs
Friday- Lesson 20-4 Making Bar Graphs and Lesson 20-6 How Likely?
Monday- Lesson 20-7 Outcomes and Experiments and Lesson 20-8 Line Plots and Probability
3.DA.1- I can create scaled pictographs, bar graphs, and frequency tables (tally charts) to represent data. I can solve one and two step "how many more" and "how many less" problems based on the graphs.
3.DA.2- I can generate measurement data by measuring lengths with rulers to the nearest quarter of an inch and use this data to create a line plot.
Chapter 4- U.S. Government
Tuesday Feb 2- U.S. Government Intro "Why do we have government?"
Thursday Feb 4- "Why do we have government?" Activity
Tuesday Feb 9- Our Democracy
Thursday Feb 11- Branches of Government
Tuesday Feb 16- Levels of Government
Thursday Feb 18- Project Time
Tuesday Feb 23- Review/Project Presentations
Thursday Feb 25- Assessment
3.2.1- Discuss reasons for government and identify the goods and services they provide.
3.2.2- Know the significance of democratic principles and ideals.
3.2.3- Explain the duties of local and state government officials who make, implement and enforce laws
3.2.4- Explain that the U.S. has three levels of government, each with special duties and responsibilities.
We will be working exclusively on writing that students will see on ISTEP. This will involve a lot of comparing texts and extending stories based on what the ISTEP has given them. Once we are finished with an example, I will send them home so you have some idea of what to expect.
Unit 4 Week 2
Strategy: Ask and Answer Questions
Skill: Point of View
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Vocabulary Strategy: Prefixes
Phonics: Syllables with Vowel Teams
1. achievement- An achievement is something that you accomplish.
2. apologized- If you apologized, you said you were sorry.
3. attention- When you give something your attention, you watch, listen, or concentrate on it.
4. audience- An audience is a group of people gathered to hear or see something.
5. confidence- When you have confidence, you have trust or faith in something or someone.
6. embarrassed- When you feel embarrassed, you feel shy, uncomfortable, or ashamed.
7. realized- If you realized something, you understood it completely.
8. talents- Talents are natural abilities or skills.
After School Tutoring
I am on this list and have availability to tutor. I am currently only tutoring in math (because I love math and frankly I would teach this all day if I could). I can also recommend someone who would best fit with your child from the list.
- Tumblebooks (username northelementary / password books)
- Symbaloo (username firstname.lastname@example.org / password room506) - this website has links to kid approved websites we use at school)
- IXL - a great website for students to practice skills from any subject!
Tumblebooks is registered for grades K-4 so North and South share.