CHS Counselor Connection
Connecting school to home
AK STAR and Alaska Science testing
- AK STAR - Alaska System of Academic Readiness
AK STAR assesses all 3rd-9th grade students in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics.
- Alaska Science
Alaska Science assesses all 5th, 8th, and 10th grade students in science.
Please check out the website below for more information! We ask our educators to thoughtfully prepare our students for these tests, and ask our students to do their very best.
A BIG THANK YOU to the following community members and English 2 teachers!
Thank you to interviewers:
Nathan Dahl ~ Maple Springs Senior Living
Jon Coon ~ Merrill Lynch
Kris Larson ~ Larson Chiropractic
Jubilee Underwood ~ Signature Alaska Realty and MSBSD School Board Member
Mackenzie Westcott ~ Three Bears Alaska
Kady Bryant ~ Esthetician at House of Beauty
Mike Devine ~ Mike Devine State Farm
Christine Ewing ~ Premera RN, BSN, NCSN
Greg Gray ~ Glacier Capital
Robbie Nash ~Matanuska Telephone Association
Tony Brooke ~ CHS Athletic Director and Video production
Tayva Taylor ~ Law
Dawn Adams ~ Social Worker, OCS Wasilla
Carla Burns ~ Social Worker, OCS Wasilla
Ali Larijani ~ MSBSD IT
Kevin Guinn ~ Retired US Marshal
Jenny Vanderweele ~ Vanderweele Farms
Stacie Stigar ~ Business Owner
Bret Taylor ~ Taylor Fire
Donnie Schlemper ~ Providence Hospital, Senior Clinical Informatics Dept.
Derrick Clemons ~ US Marine, Recruiter
Tomasina Edgar ~ School Counselor
Jason Moore ~ School Principal
Pat O'Neal ~ Campus Safety and Security
Stephanie Haase ~ CHS School Librarian
Peter Olsen ~ Vice Principal
English 2 Teachers:
English 2 Interview Day! Check out the photos below from last week's interview day at CHS!
Dr. King with Chadron State College
- Dr. King with Chadron State College presented during our 4Cs/FLEX period. The MSBSD is supporting students who choose to pursue a career in education. Aspiring teachers work in the district while attending Chadron State. After earning their teaching degree, they will have a job in the district and after 5 years, their student debt will be forgiven.
2023-2024 School Year Scheduling
- The past 2 weeks, our School Counselors have been out working with incoming 8th graders. We have enjoyed sharing what to expect in high school, what Colony High can offer them, and helped them choose meaningful electives for their next school year.
- Next, we will be meeting with grade-level groups to schedule our 9-11th graders for their next grade level.
- Course request sheets go out to students on March 9th and they will be entering their course selections with support from the School Counselors into StudentVUE the week of March 20th, after Spring Break.
- Please look over the course request sheets with your student to help them make informed choices for their electives.
- Be on the lookout for new courses we would like to offer to work toward preparing our students for their futures beyond high school!
- Course descriptions are found on the CHS Counseling Homepage in the Program of Studies. It allows you to see prerequisite courses, course descriptions, what credits the class counts toward, and much more! https://www.matsuk12.us/site/default.aspx?DomainID=7769
- Please assure that your student completes and returns the sheet the week of their scheduled time with Counselors.
The MSBSD is a district of choice with an “open enrollment” policy, which means that a school can accept boundary exemption requests from all MSBSD students who reside outside their boundaries. If your choice is Colony High School ~ please complete the new process of submitting a Boundary Exemption and plan on attending Colony High in the Fall! Go Knights!
- Complete and submit the Boundary Exemption Form through ParentVUE -- Click Here for Instructions.
- It is the parent / guardian’s responsibility to transport their student(s) to the closest bus stop / route for the school that they are attending.
- For more information, regarding bus stop locations and timing, please contact the Matanuska Susitna Borough School District’s Pupil Transportation Department at (907) 761-4357.
Transcript Request for Seniors:
Please email Colony High’s registrar for transcript requests and it will be processed within 24 hours ~ sooner if needed. Share your legal name, date of birth, student ID # and the location the Official Transcript needs to be forwarded. If a college-university-vocational school-place of employment accepts by email ~ that will be how it is forwarded. Other form will be mailing the Official Transcript. Official Transcripts may not be forwarded to a student/parent.
Registrar ~ email@example.com
Thank you! Jennifer Bostick 😊
Interested in the trades?
Quarter 3 Ends March 9th
Work Day, no school for students March 10th
Spring Break ~ March 13-17
2023--2024 Course Selection for CHS students, grades 9-11, will take place through one of their core classes (9th: Biology, 10th: World History/AP World, 11th: US History/AP US) in the library during the week of 3/20. Make-up scheduling in the library during their 4Cs/FLEX 3/29-3/31.
Check out the Program of Studies for more info about classes--including prerequisites, descriptions, and what a class counts for in terms of credits~
Mat-Su Employer Expo--March 29th, 10-3 pm.
Prom--April 1st at the Anchorage Museum~Theme: The Great Gatsby
Alaska Science exam week of April 3--7th
AK STAR ELA/Math Week of April 17--21st
PSAT for all CHS 9th graders--April 20th
Professional Development Day ~No school April 28th
AP Testing ~ Coming in May 2023
Graduation ~ May 17th, 7 pm at the Menard
Quarter 4 ~ Ends May 19th (last day of school!)
Stomach bug or norovirus?
You may hear norovirus illness be called “food poisoning,” “stomach flu,” or “stomach bug.” Noroviruses are the leading cause of foodborne illness, but other germs and chemicals can also cause foodborne illness.
Norovirus illness is not related to the flu, which is caused by influenza virus.
Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. Anyone can get infected and sick with norovirus. You can get norovirus from:
- Having direct contact with an infected person
- Consuming contaminated food or water
- Touching contaminated surfaces and then putting your unwashed hands in your mouth
The most common symptoms are:
- Stomach pain
Protect yourself and others from norovirus:
- Wash your hands often
- Rinse fruits and vegetables
- Cook shellfish thoroughly
- Stay home when sick and for two days after symptoms stop
- Avoid preparing food for others when sick and for two days after symptoms stop
- Keep students home when vomiting or having diarrhea, call the school or nurse to excuse and inform
Jody Soeder, BSN, RN, NCSN– Colony High School, School Nurse
Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District
Ph: 907-861-5516 | Fax: 907-861-5470
Colony HS School Counseling
Please email counselors with questions or concerns!