"Learning takes your places!"
Family Newsletter August 2020
Message from the Principal
I hope you all have enjoyed the summer sunshine over the past couple of months. We are so excited to see our returning Seahawks again, even if only virtual at this time and can't wait to welcome those of you just joining the Sumner family! You will love it here!
Beginning August 10, 2020 your child's homeroom will be contacting you via a telephone call to set up a virtual orientation. Homeroom teachers will be calling to touch base with each student and welcome them to their grade level introduce themselves, collect some necessary information, provide a scheduled opportunity for orientation, and to get connected with their new students.Teachers will be emailing parents information during this week.
Homeroom teachers will be asking a couple of questions during the telephone call:
1. Best number and email address to contact you during the remote learning?
2. Do you have any questions concerning remote learning?
3. Providing virtual orientation date and time.
Remote Learning Information
- GCS recently announced that the first three weeks of school (August 17 – September 4), students will participate in preloaded online content for their grade level. Sumner Elementary teachers will begin live remote instruction on Tuesday, September 8th.
- Parents do not have to register for remote learning at Sumner Elementary. Students are already enrolled in classes and Sumner teachers will provide online instruction to our scholars during the remote learning period.
- Any parent wishing to enroll in the virtual school has until September 15th to do so. As a reminder, this is different than remote learning, in which all students will receive from August 17-Oct. 19th. The e-learning academy is a school separate from your child's current school. If you are interested in applying, please use the following this link. I encourage parents to contact the school before enrolling in the virtual school if there is any confusion. You may access the a very informative FAQ document here .
- Looking for information about the return to school? GCS has a Reopening Schools webpage. New information will be added as decisions are made.
- Please see the approved GCS calendar below. Students should be ready to engage in learning on Monday, August 17th. Be on the lookout for more information to come soon.
Remote Device Request
- At this time, devices are limited and will be distributed in a particular order. Please be patient with us as we work through loaning out devices to our students.
- Please let your child's teacher know when they call for virtual orientation if you need a device or do not have internet service. This information will help us to create a device distribution plan. Please be patient with us with this process.
First Day of School
- Students are scheduled to return to school Monday for remote learning. If your student has a phone, personal laptop, or tablet with internet access s/he may begin as early as Monday at 8 AM. Your scholar can login to NCED Cloud https://my.ncedcloud.org/ using his/her student id number as their user name. All passwords have been reset to Sumner2020 When your student logs in, s/he should see the course for their homeroom teacher. In those courses are preloaded content that students can engage with during the opening three weeks of school. Teachers will be reaching out to scholars next week to invite them to online meetings to get acquainted and provide updates. There is no penalty for students who cannot login Monday due to requesting a device and not having access. Thank you for your patience and flexibility.
Technology and Hotspots
- GCS will send out 125 smart buses with internet access while students are participating in remote learning. Buses will be located at various sites throughout Greensboro and High Point. Wireless internet access is available in several school parking lots. The list of the 24 schools with outdoor internet can be found at https://www.gcsnc.com/Page/64905
Where to Get School Meals/Free and Reduced Lunch Applications
- Through August 31st meals are available for children under the age of eighteen at 41 schools and 65 neighborhood locations. Information on the times of service and the locations can be found at https://www.gcsnc.com/Page/64834
Letter to Familes
GCS 2020-21 Academic Calendar
What Parents Need to Know
· Every teacher will contact Sumner families to conduct an orientation.
· Students will have pre-recorded content to complete during the 1st three weeks of school and teachers will also go live daily during whole group meeting with daily activities, review of procedures and expectations, reviewing Canvas, introducing online resources and getting to know students. Please do not worry if your child cannot log on the first day.