Oskaloosa Syllabus for Parents
Volume 3 Issue 3 November 2017
New Happenings in the District
Interested in a quick glance at the data that tells our Oskaloosa story? Check out the new Data Dashboard. This dashboard will be updated three times per year (fall, winter, and spring) after each of the testing windows. The goal is to provide a snapshot of our current data in an easy to understand presentation.
- There are many coaching cycles occurring in the areas of reading and math.
- Behavior referrals are down and the use of PBIS is strong throughout the building.
- Behavior referrals are down compared to the data taken one year ago.
- On November 9, the seventh grade students went on a field trip to see the Iowa Wild hockey team play. This field trip was for the students demonstrating good behavior during the month of October.
- Ten staff members are participating in No Shave November to help raise money for the No Shave Foundation to fight the battle against cancer.
- Two choir students, two orchestra students, and one band student participated in the All-State Music Festival held in Ames on Nov. 17 and 18.
OHS Fall Play a Hit
Guest writer: Allison McGuire
The OHS Drama Department presented the play Bad Auditions by Bad Actors by Ian McWethy at the George Daily Auditorium on November 3rd and 4th. Twenty-three students were part of the cast and crew. Bad Auditions by Bad Actors is a comedy about a small town community theatre attempting to cast the leads for Romeo and Juliet in less than 24 hours and coming up against bad auditions ranging from fidgeting hands to a method actor to an auditioner who is pursued by the police in the midst of his audition.
Students took the lead on many technical aspects of the production, including set conception and construction, lighting design, sound, costumes, and graphic design. They also ran light and sound cues during the show and monitored props and backstage activity.
While the Spring Play is yet to be announced, students who are interested in participating should attend the next Thespian meeting, which will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 7:30am at the George Daily. The Spring Play will rehearse throughout January and February and will be performed on March 2nd and 3rd.
Important December Dates:
- Dec. 22 - Early Dismissal
- Dec 23-Jan. 2 - No School - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
You can access the November Board Report for more specific information curriculum, instruction, and assessment work done in October/early November. Also included in the board report are the District Advisory Committee goals for the 2017-2018 school year.