Chartwell School: The Bulldog Bark
From the Administrative Team
August 19, 2021
IMPORTANT: After School Programs Begin NEXT WEEK (Monday - Thursday)
Extended Day Program (Lower School Only: McClelland, Ford, and Phillips) 2:30 pm - 3:15 pm (already in progress)
Grades 1-8 After School Homework Program 3:15 pm - 5:00 pm (McMahan Hall)
- Includes snack, playtime, and homework time
- The cost is $25/ per day
- 5:00 pm is the latest time you can pick up your child.
- Families who completed the After School Homework Program paperwork will receive a follow-up email from Rozalyn Harris, academic assistant, with more details.
- If you would like to sign-up, please click here to complete the form and return it to Rozalyn Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org.
High School After School Program 3:05 pm - 4:00 pm (Building 500)
- Students will gather in Building 500 for small group work, academic support from HS teachers, and extra time to work on projects together or individually.
- No sign-up is required and there is no cost to participate.
IMPORTANT: CARLINE SCHEDULE
***FRIDAY PICK UP SCHEDULE***
12:45 PM - High School (staff parking lot - see map below)
1:00 PM - Lower and Middle School (Bulldog Way/Circle)
MONDAY-THURSDAY PICK UP SCHEDULE
2:30 PM - Lower School Pick-Up (Ms. Ford, Ms. Phillips, and Ms. McClelland's classes)
- If staying for the extended day program, pick-up is at 3:15 pm (see below)
3:05 PM - High School Pick Up (see map below)
3:15 PM - Lower and Middle Pick-up
4:00 PM - High School After School Program Pick Up
5:00 PM - Grades 1-8 After School Homework Program Pick Up
ALL SCHOOL REMINDERS
- Please return the signed Family Handbook Acknowledgment Form by Monday, August 23. Visit chartwell.org/parentforms to read or download the handbook and forms.
- Clubs & Electives begin this Friday! LS offerings include: LEGO Challenge, Drawing, Trail Blazers Hike and Help, Outdoor Challenges, Kindness Club, Nature Club, Judo and Gardening and Guinea Pigs. MS and HS offerings include: Chess, Ceramics, Judo, Digital Music, and Sports & Games. Students made selections in homeroom and advisory.
- Parents may drop off clean, lightly worn solid-colored outerwear for the September 8 cohort clothing exchange during the Chartwell Family Network parent coffee. Please bring them to the administrative office in Building 100 (Business Office area).
- Summer Reading BINGO cards are due Monday - for a prize!
- The Middle School Athletics Department is looking for parents interested in coaching: Volleyball, Cross Country, or Soccer. Please contact Rory Patterson for more information at email@example.com
HIGH SCHOOL REMINDERS
- PIZZA FRIDAYS return! Pizza will be provided by the school for all high school students. Vegetarian and gluten-free options are available. Any additional snacks and beverages should be brought by the students.
- Tie-dye shirts should be placed in the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes and then washed in cold for the color to set.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND IMPORTANT DATES
Monday, September 6 - NO SCHOOL (Labor Day)
Wednesday, September 8 - Parent Coffee & Cohort Clothing Exchange (after drop-off)
Thursday, September 9 - LOWER SCHOOL Back to School Night
Wednesday, September 15 - Monthly Parent Meeting 5:30 pm (Zoom Only)
Thursday, September 16 - MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL Back to School Night
Wed, September 29 - Fri, October 1 - LMS/HS Parent Conferences
Wednesday, October 6 - Parent Coffee (after drop-off)
Monday, October 11 - NO SCHOOL (Indigenous Peoples Day)
Every student at Chartwell has experience in coding and using their own LEGO Engineering kits, thanks to our grant last year with Apple and FIRST Robotics.
Our Chartwell Robotics team program, available to students aged 11-14 (or through 8th Grade), offers motivated students a chance to extend that experience. Here are some details about the program:
The season length is dependent on the team's success! Students should be ready to commit for at least up to winter break.
Participation is important in this program as teammates work together on shared goals. Missing practices regularly is discouraged.
Practices will be Monday & Thursday after school until 4:30. Sometimes we practice on Saturdays later in the season. Events may happen 1x/month and are full-days on Saturdays.
New this year: We are excited to plan an all-girls team! Note that girls have the choice to join any group.
If your child is interested, please complete this form and I will send more details. If your child does not meet the age requirements for our teams but is still interested, let me know as there is a community-based option that I can connect you with, including for high school.
Vote for Chartwell and Mr. Mueller!
Thank you to everyone who nominated Chartwell in the first round of the Monterey County Weekly's annual Best of Monterey County poll. Because of your support, we made it to the final round in two categories!
We invite our families and friends to VOTE for Chartwell in the Best School category and Topher Mueller, K-8 STEAM and Education Technology Director, in the Best K-12 Teacher category. Both categories are in the AROUND TOWN section.
Voting is open until September 7, 2021, and you must vote for 20 categories for your ballot to count.
Thank you for your support of Chartwell and our dedicated faculty!
TRAFFIC PATTERN (HS PICK UP ONLY- EVERYDAY)
COVID Back to School Protocols Zoom Sessions for Parents and Guardians
Thank you to all of our families who attended a Zoom session this week. We appreciated your questions and suggestions. If you were not able to attend, we are sharing the video recording and the slideshow (attached) as a reference.
Also, during one of the parent Zoom sessions this week, there was a discussion around where to find high-quality KN95 masks. Thank you to parent Michael Geluardi who shared this link to purchase KN95 disposable masks: https://bonafidemasks.com/ This site also offers child sizes to ensure a snug fit.
Here is another site that comes to us with high recommendations and quality assurance: https://www.vaniman.com/ppe-equipment/
COVID Exposure Protocol
If you have questions for us, please contact one of the following Chartwell Team Members:
Head of School, Kate Mulligan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Head and Director of Outreach and Family Engagement, Danielle Patterson: email@example.com
Director of Lower and Middle Schools, Jodi Amaditz: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Student Support: Billy Swift email@example.com
Director of Campus Management and Safety, John Langrill: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEAM or EdTech: Topher Mueller at email@example.com
Director of Advancement and Communications, Elena Mueller: firstname.lastname@example.org
Middle School Athletics: Rory Patterson email@example.com
High School Athletics: Garrett Benjamin firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical Support: John Langrill at email@example.com