Research By: Julianna
-There are thousands of minerals on the planet Earth.
-100 minerals are considered common.
How Do I Identify Minerals?
Minerals are identified by four characteristics:
- Luster - Metallic or nonmetallic
- Cleavage- Controls the splitting of a mineral
- Hardness- Some minerals can scratch things while others get scratched.
- Color- Some minerals come in a specific color
- The year of 1812, a scientist from Australia created a scale. The scale told people how hard rocks were. His name was Friedrich Mohs.
- People today still use his chart.
How Do We Use Minerals?
We use minerals in a lot of different ways for example:
- Paper clip
Native Americans used Minerals for:
- Hand axes
-Symes D.r R.F. Rocks and Minerals. DK Ink., 2004
-World Book Encyclopedia. Vol. 13. World Book, Inc., 2006