Dealing With Conscious Choking
by: Joanne Yoo
What Is Conscious Choking?
How is this condition caused?
Encourage Coughing For Victims
Coughing can force the object to come out.
Small objects are choking hazards.
Universal Distress Signal
Clutch your throat with one or two hands to show the universal distress signal.
Signs and Symptoms
- coughing weakly
- unable to speak
- universal distress signal
- wheezing weakly
- inability to breathe
First Aid Procedures
1. If the victim is forcefully coughing, encourage them to cough more to dislodge the object
2. If the victim cannot dislodge the object, give 5 back blows.
- Get behind the victim with your forearm across their chest and hand on their shoulder, then give 5 back blows between the shoulder blades with the heel of your hand.
3. Give 5 abdominal thrusts
- Place a fist with your thumb against the victim's abdomen, cover the fist with your other hand, and then thrust inward and upward 5 times.
4.Repeat the sets of back blows and abdominal thrusts if the object is not dislodged
5.If the person becomes unconscious or goes unconscious start chest compressions and have someone call 911