~ December 2015 ~
McKinney ISD Department of Instructional Technology
A monthly newsletter for parents, grandparents, families and the community dedicated to updates and information on how McKinney ISD uses technology in the classroom.
Instructional Technology Parent Series for January- Cockrill Middle School
Tuesday, Jan. 19th 2016 at 6pm
1351 Hardin Boulevard
January's parent series will cover the Gale Virtual Reference Library and research resources for students in grades K-12. Gale Virtual Reference Library is MISD's single source for eReference aimed at the needs of our K-12 students. GVRL includes more than 7,000 authoritative, full-text titles customized for grade level appropriate research and informational reading. GVRL is available to students anytime any place. With simultaneous check outs there is a never a wait for books or information your student's needs.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Bennett Elementary Students Use GVRL for Research
What is a MakerSpace?
The "Maker Movement"...
Makerspaces, sometimes also referred to as "hackerspaces", "hackspaces", and "fablabs" are creative, DIY spaces where students can gather to create, invent, and learn. In the MISD learning commons they often include , software, electronics, craft and hardware supplies, tools, and more. MISD K-12 campuses across the district were MEF grant recipients for funding of MakerSpaces. Be looking for this innovative space on your student's campus.
What is a MakerSpace?
1:The World Parent Meetings for Spring 2016
Parents of current 8th graders are invited to attend one of the 7 scheduled parent meetings being held this spring to learn more about the 1:The World Freshman Laptop initiative at each high school. All rising freshman students will receive an 11" MacBook Air computer to use for learning over their four years of high school. The meetings will cover logistics of the initiative, MISD's goals and direction with technology in the classroom and rules for use of these devices. Parents need only attend one meeting and can come to any campus/date that works for them. Meetings will be held starting at 5:30 on each date. See THIS LINK for more information.
- February 15- MHS (Library)
- February 29- MNHS (Room G119)
- March 14- MBHS (Cafeteria)
- March 28- MHS (Library)
- April 11- MNHS (Room G119)
- April 25- MBHS (Cafeteria)
- May 9- MHS- (Library)
Save The Date! June 21-23
Please mark your calendars for Converge 2016. Converge is MISD's annual digital learning conference. Converge includes keynote speakers, break out sessions, a maker space, music, food trucks and much more. This year we are inviting interested parents to attend and learn more about using digital tools in the classroom. Strands for the conference will include blended learning, digital resources and parents as partners for innovation. Parents are welcome to come and go and attend the sessions you find pertinent. A detailed listing of all of the learning opportunities with location and logistics will be sent out in late spring.
Great Twitter "Follows" for Parents
- Scott Kelly- @StationCDRKelly Dr. Kelly is a NASA astronaut currently working from the International Space Station. Dr. Kelly tweets pictures of earth from space each day.
- Texas Library Association- @txla Included updates on all things "library" in Texas.
- Eric Sheninger- @E_Sheninger Mr. Sheninger is an award winning author on technology practices in the classroom. Mr.Sheninger is also a keynote speaker for Converge 2016.
- Miss Graboski's K - @livefromroom5 A great example of how social networking is happening in a primary classroom.
- The Google Gooru - @TheGoogleGooru great reseource for Google Apps, how to videos for keeping up with the latest updates and features in Google Apps.
Join our mailing list and connect.
Please add your name and email address to this form and you will automatically receive this newsletter each month. All email information will stay private to other viewers.