Monthly Newsletter to Keep Parents Informed
Journey to Excellence
* We hope this newsletter helps to keep you informed of things going on at Elkins and answer any questions you may have. Feel free to call the office with any questions or email administration (Kori Werth email@example.com & Bobby Jackson firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions or concerns you need addressed. Our door is always open, and we want to work with partners to help your children be successful!
What is LiiNK?
- Curriculum Night is THIS Thursday, August 31st! We have 3 different times set up (each grade level gives the same presentation 3 times), so that parents with multiple children have the opportunity to attend each presentation. The first presentation begins at 6:00 pm. Each session will be 25 minutes in length. We hope you can make it to hear all about what your student will be learning this year!
- College Colors Day is this Friday! Have your student wear his/her favorite college colors to promote higher education and college readiness!
- Make sure to sign up for Skyward Family Access! You can do this by visiting the district website at www.emsisd.com. Click on "Parents," then click on "Skyward Access." This will allow you to view your students' grades, sign up for bus transportation, adjust personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, etc. This is the best way to stay connected to everything going on with your students!
- Elkins Remind text message feature is available again this year! Follow this link in order to sign up to receive text messages from Elkins for important reminders such as picture day, special events, early releases, etc.! This is a great way to stay connected!
- Please check your child's folders for forms that need to be returned to campus. We have sent home the social media release form and the Elkins school compact that must be signed by a parent/guardian as well as the student.
- Thanks for everything you all are doing to help arrival and dismissal run smoothly. Just a friendly reminder that we begin each day at 7:35! Also, remember to stay in your cars if you are picking up in the front and/or the horseshoe area out back! If you are parking to walk and pick up your student, please go to the gym door, located on the northeast side of the building.
- PTA membership and shirt order forms have been sent home! We urge you to join PTA and become involved throughout the year to continue to make Elkins a great place for students to learn and grow! Our PTA does so much for our staff and students throughout the year, and we urge new members to join and become involved! Our first PTA meeting will be Tuesday, September 12th at 6:00 pm. This will also be our Title 1 informational meeting where we will discuss what being a Title 1 school means and what benefits we have available to us by Title 1 funds.
- At Elkins, we love our volunteers! If you think you will be accompanying your student on field trips, would like to volunteer in the classrooms, or think you may want to help out in some way, you must complete a background check in order to be able to work with students. To fill out the application, please go to www.emsisd.com, click on "Parents" and then click on "Volunteering." This will take you to the form to fill out and submit. It usually takes a week or two to get approval, so we encourage all who are interested to fill them out as soon as possible.
- If you receive a call from the school during the day, please make sure to check your voicemail before returning the call. Since many teachers/staff call during their conference times, it's difficult for our front office staff to know who called you and where to direct your call. Our staff has been instructed to always leave a voicemail, so please assist us in helping our communication be effective and always listen to your voicemail to see if specific information was given, then return the call to the school and ask for the appropriate person. We appreciate your help with this!
- We are out of school on Monday, September 4th for Labor Day! School will resume on Tuesday, September 5th.
Welcome back former students and new families! We have been working hard to make sure your students feel safe and secure while at school. It’s been a great start! Be looking for a peach note that will come home in the next three weeks. This will have my contact information and summary of my role as the school counselor . I am always available to help and encourage you to reach out with any questions, concerns, or issues. This year, students in all grade levels will have guidance lessons every three weeks. Those lessons will focus on our life principles which will also be announced each morning over the speaker. We are also talking about our 8 Expectations of Living during these first months. One of our expectations is, “We will help others who are in need.” In response to that expectation, our school will be collecting items for those families currently displaced to the DFW area from Hurricane Harvey. Please look for a note coming home today with a list of acceptable items. Finally, if you have a specific concern about your student, please complete the information by following the link below. This is a quick and easy way to communicate a concern during the year. You can also call or email me anytime. Looking forward to a great year!https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=aLcezEZ_NketRFil2pZnYM2znVFFJ0tIh_pDQR9iCq1URE5KM0xHTFM1Q0hBMzU5MzM1Njc4SEo3My4u
Dates to Remember
Thursday, August 31st:
Curriculum Night 6:00-7:30 (3 different sessions)
LiiNK Informational Meeting at 5:45 in cafeteria for K-2 parents
Friday, September 1st:
College Colors Day! Wear your favorite college shirt/color to school!
Monday, September 4th:
No School- Labor Day Holiday
Friday, September 8th:
Granola with Grandparents 7:10-7:35 in the Library
Tuesday, September 12th:
Title 1 Informational Meeting & PTA Meeting at 6:00 pm
Tuesday, September 26th:
Individual Fall Pictures
Monday, October 9th:
No School- Staff Development Day for Teachers
Tuesday, October 10th:
No School- Staff Development Day for Teachers
Red Ribbon Week (details to follow)