By: Kyle Gibilaro
Did you know?
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older, or 18% of the population.
- Anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only about one-third of those suffering receive treatment.
- Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year, almost one-third of the country's $148 billion total mental health bill.
- People with an anxiety disorder are three to five times more likely to go to the doctor and six times more likely to be hospitalized for psychiatric disorders than those who do not suffer from anxiety disorders.
- Anxiety disorders develop from a complex set of risk factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, personality, and life events.
Statistics on teen anxiety
3.3% or about 290,000 children and young people have an anxiety disorder
2.2% or about 96,000 children have an anxiety disorder
4.4% or about 195,000 young people have an anxiety disorder
11.5% or about 510,000 young people aged between 11-16 years have a mental disorder