Sugar and Spice
Author: Lisa Papademetriou Project By: Emily Jones
Throughout the book, the author gives recipes of the different types of cupcakes that Hayley makes. This is how I picture one of the cupcakes to look like.
On the cover page, we catch a glimpse of how the author thinks of Hayley. In the book the author gives brief, but yet strong, descriptions of not only Hayley, but many other charcters.
Yum, Yum, Yummy!
I will say that I have made some of the recipes in the book and my personal favorite is Orange Creamsicle. Being the type of person who is addicted to baking, I will make any of these recipes given the chance.
- School: Pleasant environment, unpleasant teachers, where the talent show takes place.
- Café: Warm, inviting, smells like baked goods, also known as home, where Hayley makes cupcakes.
- Took place during the winter, and it was a great season for the Café.
- Hayley- Main character, student, parents are divorced.
- Artimis- Also referred to as Artie.
- Meghan- Principal's daughter, gluten-free, troublemaker, likes to be in charge.
- Ms. Lang- Drama teacher, gives detention to the three girls.
Meghan, the principal's daughter, "borrowed" the smoke machine from the drama department to add a little action to the boring middle school dance which her and Hayley are hosting. Her and Artie were caught at the scene with Meghan when they were caught by Ms. Lang, the drama teacher, who gave the girls detention. With Hayley's life at home, there's a wedding to be planned, but who's? Throughout the book Sugar and Spice, Hayley tries to figure out just who is getting married.
- Chloe looks at me, her face serious, "Just because someone moves away, it doesn't mean they're gone forever." There's a note of pain in her voice that stabs my heart.
- She's wearing a green knit cap with earflaps, and an enormous pink flower plastered in it. Her long black braids stick out from the sides.
- Now my hands fly to my cheeks, I feel them burning beneath my fingers. It had never occured to me, never. "Oh my gosh, Artie I-"
How It's Shown: Hayley and Meghan are working as hard as they can to get this talent show pulled off, despite the obstacles on the way.
- "I push the word away, and sweep it into the corner of my mind." This is a metaphor.
- "This is actually kind of fun and it feels good to move, though the icy air is cold in my chest as I drink in deep gulps." This is imagery.
- "She lets out something that sounds like a growl and turns to blast out the café." This is a simile.