August 21, 2020
Hitting the Ground Running . . .
We had a wonderful first week with our Middle Schoolers! Everyone has cooperated with the new rules and ways of doing things. We received our devices on Wednesday, and e-learning began the next morning. A couple of things to keep in mind:
- Please be patient with your teachers, students, and yourself to make your family's learning experience joyful and productive.
- In order to better plan and help e-learning run more smoothly, all parents will have until Friday, August 28 to determine whether your students will be face to face or e-learners for the duration of the trimester, which ends on November 30, 2020. We need to solidify who is in class and who is not so that we can get into a good, productive routine.
- We will be rolling out a new program for e-learners on August 31, 2020 that will help our students increase their academic level of work-time at home.
- Be sure your students are checking email and Google Classroom regularly to keep up to date on all assignments, announcements, classwork, and homework.
- All assignments should be submitted through Google Classroom--screenshots are acceptable--and this applies to ALL students, in-school and virtual.
- If students at home should become stuck on any problem or lesson during class time, they should email the teacher or raise their hand in Google Classroom. Your teacher will respond to you as soon as she can, but bear in mind this might be later in the day.
- Parents, if you are having any concerns with our e-learning program, please let me know immediately. I will work with you, the teacher, and the student to ensure that your child has the best experience possible.
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Protocols
To maintain safety, students should never be dropped off on Ridge Road, Chicago Avenue, 181st Street, in front of the church, or in the teacher’s parking lot. Drop-off and pick-up occur in the main parking lot only! Drop-off procedures are the same as last year, and please make sure you pull all the way up to the end of the split rail fence so more students can exit their vehicles safely. Diagrams and clarification of the route may be found on our website, downloaded and printed here.
Morning drop-off is from 7:30-7:50 a.m. Doors P1, P4, and P5 will lock at 7:50, so if you arrive later than that, there will be no one at the drop-off doors to let your kids in, and you must then deliver them to the main School Office door, C1. For everyone's safety, we cannot have students wandering around trying to find an open door--the ONLY door that will be manned for entrance after 7:50 a.m. will be C1.
At dismissal time, all cars MUST remain in line until your row is dismissed through the Park Avenue exit. NO ONE MAY MOVE THEIR VEHICLE OUT OF LINE OR EXIT THE LOT BACK THROUGH THE 181st STREET ENTRANCE! Please be aware that you are putting yourself and others in jeopardy if you do not follow the parking lot rules. Years ago when our lot was over-full, dismissal used to take much, much longer. We are all be happy that it only takes a few minutes now, but everyone must be patient.
Cell Phone Rules
If they bring them to school, all cellphones MUST remain in the students' backpacks with the ringers off for the duration of the school day. They may not be taken along to the bathroom, or pulled out at lunchtime. If parents have any need of reaching their students during the school day, they must call the school office and a message will be delivered.
Uniforms & Dress Code
While we have suspended the necessity to wear formal uniforms for the first month of school for maximum comfort in the heat, we do still have dress code rules that must be followed. Denim is permitted, but should not be distressed or ripped in any way. Shorts and skirts must be longer than finger-tip length. No Spandex of any kind (shorts, leggings, etc.) is allowed. No inappropriate phrases or graphics on t-shirts; no sleeveless tops. St. Ann gym uniforms and spirit wear are encouraged!
We will begin wearing formal uniforms on September 14. Full dress code is available to download and print here. Our uniform vendor is Dennis Uniform, 8345 Indianapolis Boulevard, Highland, IN. You may order from their website, school code GANNH, or call ahead for curbside pickup, 219-838-7120. The gray polos that were missing from the website are now available. We do have some pieces available in our Used Uniform Shoppe for $5 each. Call the school office to inquire.
Some Reminders as PreK-4th Grades Join Us
- In order to start school in person, your signed liability form must have been turned in to the office, or your student must have it to turn in upon arrival. Should you need to print one, you may download it here.
- Please check your child’s temperature before you leave home. If he or she should register 100.4 or higher, please keep your child home for the day and call the office to inform us. If your student does not feel well, no matter how minor the symptoms, please keep him or her home. We need everyone's cooperation to keep our population healthy.
- Be sure all students are wearing masks and have brought a supply of paper-bags (for mask storage during breaks and meals) and their water bottles (which they may keep at their desks).
- Parking lot procedures will remain the same as usual until further notice, but please do not exit your cars and congregate on your way from dropping off or picking up. If you need to stand up next to your car to help your child find you at pickup, please be sure to stay in place and get right back in once your child arrives to you.
- PreK and Kindergarten will enter through Door P4; 1st-4th Grades will enter through Door P1.
- Send in a sack lunch if you did not order your hot meals from FSP. We encourage the use of paper bags and disposable accessories, rather than lunchboxes and Tupperware, to minimize the spread of contagions.
- For our e-learners, device distribution will be on Wednesday, August 26 from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the Extended Day door (C-3). All other students will receive their devices in school. PreK through 4th Grades will be dismissed at 1:00 p.m. this day. Middle School will remain until 2:50, as usual.
- For BOTH in-school students and e-learners, if you have not already submitted the signed Student Computer Use Agreement Form initialed by you and your students, please be sure to send it in to school or bring it with you to device pickup. You may download and print one here. No devices will be given out without this form on file.
- Extended Day service is available before school at 6:30 a.m. and after school from 2:50 - 6:30 p.m., with drop off and pickup at Door C3. Please notify Mrs. Summerrise by email if your child will be at either. Note: We are looking to hire Extended Day help for after school on Tuesdays & Fridays, 2:30-6:30 p.m. Call Mrs. Summerrise if you are interested: 708.895.1661.
School Supplies By Grade
Back to school shopping may look a little different this year, as will some of the supplies our students will need. Complete SAS school supplies lists are live on our website here.
Do not worry if you are unable to find some of the supplies requested (such as Clorox Wipes). You may send them in at any time.
If you are planning to make your purchases online, don't forget you can support St. Ann School by shopping through our Amazon Smile link: smile.amazon.com/ch/36-2601098 Thank you!
Be sure to receive all of our communications by keeping your contact info up to date! If there is another parent or guardian you would like to receive these emails, please send their information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, please follow us at all of our social media outlets: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We also have a private parent group on Facebook: St. Ann Friends. Please answer the two quick questions there, and we can add you!