Dolphin Parent Connection
January 2019 Volume 4, Issue 5
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
· Wednesday, January 2nd: School Reopens
· Wednesday, January 2nd: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, January 3rd: ODS Parent Information Night for Current 5th Grade Students @ 5:30 PM at ODS
· Thursday, January 3rd: Minecraft Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, January 8th: SCA Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, January 8th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Tuesday, January 8th: Chipotle Spirit Night @ 4:00-8:00 PM
· Tuesday, January 8th: ODS Parent Information Night for Grade 1-4 Students @ 5:30 PM at ODS
· Wednesday, January 9th: Maker Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, January 9th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, January 9th: Anchore4Life Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, January 10th: Minecraft Club @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, January 10th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Thursday, January 10th: PTA Board Meeting @ 6:00 PM (Library)
· Thursday, January 10th: PTA General Meeting @ 6:30 PM (Library)
· Tuesday, January 15th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Wednesday, January 16th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Thursday, January 17th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Friday, January 18th: 5th Grade School-wide Battle of the Books @ 8:30 AM (cafe)
· Monday, January 21st: No School in observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
· Wednesday, January 23rd: Maker Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, January 23rd: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Thursday, January 24th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Friday, January 25th: PTA Family Game Night @ Time TBD
· Monday, January 28th--Friday, February 1st: Great Kindness Challenge Week
· Tuesday, January 29th: Fitness Club @ 7:15-7:45 AM
· Tuesday, January 29th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Thursday, January 31st: Glowing with Kindness Spirit Day--Wear bright (or neon) colors to brighten other people's days
· Thursday, January 31st: End of Marking Period 2
· Thursday, January 31st: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Friday, February 1st: Staff Work Day--no school for students
· Friday, February 1st: Gifted applications due for ODS, Visual Arts, and Dance programs (Grades 2-5) by 4:00 PM
· Monday, February 4th: Beginning of Marking Period 3
· Tuesday, February 5th: Fitness Club @ 7:15-7:45 AM
· Tuesday, February 5th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
· Tuesday, February 5th: 4th Grade Field Trip to Virginia Symphony at Sandler Center
· Wednesday, February 6th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:50-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, February 6th: Maker Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, February 6th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:50-4:15 PM
· Thursday, February 7th: PTA Junior Newspaper Club @ 2:50-3:30 PM
Operation Smile Final Mile
This year Red Mill Elementary has an exciting opportunity to participate in the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile. This program is an extension of the Shamrock Marathon held annually in March. The goal of the final mile program is to have elementary students complete their own marathon, 26.2 miles, by running one mile at a time. Our students will run or walk 25 miles during P.E. class or at home over the next 3 months. On race day, March 16, 2019, the students have the opportunity to run the final mile of their marathon at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront with over 4,800 other elementary students. In order to participate in the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile students must register for the race. You can register your child for the race online at any time at www.shamrockmarathon.com. The Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile coordinator will notify our PE teacher, Ms. Ashlyn Parker, when your child has been registered. The registration fee is $25.00 through race weekend. All participants receive a race T-shirt, goody bag, special medal, and certificate upon completion of the race. Participants also receive coupon incentives beginning in January from various local restaurants, museums, etc.
In preparation for the Operation Smile Final Mile in March, Ms. Parker will be sponsoring a morning fitness club for students registered to participate in the Final Mile race. If your child is registered to run in the Final Mile race on March 16th and is interested in participating in the fitness club, we will meet in the gym from 7:15 – 7:45 AM on Tuesdays beginning January 29th until March 12th. Students may be running outside so they should have appropriate clothing for the weather. In case of rain or extreme cold, the fitness club will participate in indoor fitness activities in the gym. Students are still responsible for recording their progress on their mileage trackers at home. Your student must be registered for the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile in order to participate in this club. Please print and return the attached permission slip by January 25, 2019.
Red Mill Rally Student Newspaper
Chipotle Spirit Night: Tuesday, January 8th (4:00-8:00 PM)
Upcoming Events: The PTA will host a Board Game Night on Friday, January 25 at 6:30 pm in the cafeteria. Watch for more info on the Red Mill PTA Facebook page and in your child’s weekly folder.
Spring Dolphin Academy: Planning for the Spring Dolphin Academy after-school enrichment program is beginning. We are in need of a co-chair! If you are willing to help with this, please contact Terry Stevens at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Past Events: A huge “thank you” to the staff and students at Ocean Lakes High School and the VB Technical & Career Education Center for volunteering their time to enrich our students. “High School is Cool” was a huge success with fun programs offered by Ocean Lakes Dance, German, Operation Smile & Orchestra and VBTC Electronics/Robotics & TV Productions.
We hope you enjoyed Winter Wonderland! The PTA would like to extend a special “thank you” to all who donated time, money, or items to help make it a success.
Box Tops: Remember to clip Box Tops labels! These labels would just be thrown away or recycled, so why not clip them and help your school at the same time? This Spring, we will make it a class competition, so be sure to put them in an envelope or baggie with your child’s grade and teacher’s name. There are mailboxes in the school foyer.
PTA Meetings: We will have a PTA General Meeting on Thursday, January 10th at 6:30 pm in the school library. It will be a casual, town hall-style meeting.
More Upcoming Events: Do you have a 5th grader? We are looking for a chairperson for the 5th grade social and the end-of-year wall signing.
Remember, you can always contact us through Facebook:
School Counseling Program Notes
January is all about kindness and empathy. Students will be practicing perspective-taking and developing their ability to “stand in someone else’s shoes.” For more information and ideas for cultivating empathy at home, I encourage you to check out the book “Unselfie” by Dr. Michele Borba.
Red Mill will again be participating in the Great Kindness Challenge during the week of January 28th. Be on the lookout for additional information regarding events, resources, and spirit days.
Lunch Bunches are continuing to form for students impacted by deployment and/or family changes – please reach out if you would like your student to participate!
Please feel free to contact me by phone (648-3572) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or concerns.
We are currently Upcycling things that you can’t recycle at home:
- Plastic bags (grocery bags, vegetable bags, dog food bags and any bag that doesn’t crinkle): These items cannot be recycled by the City of VA Beach so please consider bringing them to us so that we can recycle them through Trex.
- Egg Cartons: We give these to our local egg farmers.
- Shoes: We donate to a local dog rescue, and the shoes go to third world countries where families can start their own shoe businesses.
- Please note that we are not collecting batteries. Batteries can be taken to the local library for recycling.
Please see below for important dates and application deadlines. If you have any questions, please reach out to Tamyra Natividad, Red Mill's Gifted Resource Teacher at email@example.com
ODS Parent Information Nights at ODS:
- Current 5th grade students--January 3, 2019 5:30 p.m.
- Current Grades 1-4--January 8, 2019 5:30 p.m.
Gifted Application & Deadlines (all applications due by 4:00 p.m. on deadline date)
- Dance Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- Visual Arts Education Program at ODS application deadline February 1, 2019
- ODS (current grades 2-7) application deadline February 1, 2019
- All 1st grade referrals (current grade 1) application deadline March 1, 2019
Worth A Second Look
Student Electronic Resources
Go Noodle: At Home Fitness Resource
Dismissal Change Reminders
Our staff works hard to ensure each child makes it home safely every day, but we need your help. As a reminder, if there is to be any change in dismissal procedures for your child, whether it is an early pickup or going home a different way, please have your child give his/her teacher a parent note first thing in the morning (preferred way) indicating the change. You may also email the office before 2:10 PM with the dismissal change at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not simply email your child's teacher or use Class Dojo for communicating dismissal changes. Teachers are busy teaching and cannot guarantee that he/she will see the electronic communication. Also, if your child is involved in an after school activity and cannot attend on a particular day, a note is needed indicating that your child will not be staying for the activity. Otherwise, we must assume your child should be staying after school .
- Make Payments
- Set up Auto Pay
- Set Purchase Restrictions
- Get Low Balance Alerts
- Submit Applications
- View Purchases
- View Menus