August 5, 2020
Back To School Updates
As the kick-off to the 20-21 school year nears, I wanted to provide some additional guidance to students/families driven by the questions that have been asked of the front office the past few days. So, here are responses to RPIMS Frequently Asked Questions:
When does school begin? The first day of school is Thursday for all virtual students and in-person learners with last names that begin with A-K. Friday is the first day of school for in-person learners with the last name beginning L-Z. There are some exceptions based on sibling and household residents with differing last names. Teachers have/are making calls Tuesday and Wednesday to CORE Connect (homeroom) students to confirm.
What days of the week will my student attend school? Virtual students in 5th and 6th grade will have access to teachers online every day. In-person and virtual students in 6th, 7th and 8th grades will attend on alternating school days. Page 18 of the MSD Warren Township SAFE Reopening Plan is a black and gold color calendar of the alternating days of attendance for the first semester.
What steps are being taken to keep students safe at school? The S.A.F.E Reopening Plan contains detailed information on prevention, screening, and response protocols during the pandemic. RP will be emphasizing the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) practices:
1. Wearing Face Covers. Students and staff are required to wear face coverings in school. A few exceptions exist when eating and in certain environments where a minimum of 6 ft of social distance can be maintained. Otherwise, mouths and noses will remain covered. Students are responsible for coming to school with and wearing their own face covering.
2. Wash your hands. Students will have regular access to restrooms, and hand washing will be emphasized. All classrooms will also be equipped with hand sanitizer with schedules and procedures for use.
3. Keep a safe distance. Social distancing is a prime consideration in all school environments. Examples include reduced class size, alternate transition times, scheduled restroom times, modified lunch schedules with fewer students assigned to lunch tables, and gradual release of students from/to buses.
In addition, staff members will be following a scheduled cleaning protocol to clean desks, tables and chairs as a part of class transitions.
Where does my student report when they arrive at school? RP teachers have/are making phone calls to parents on Tuesday and Wednesday to introduce, greet, provide information about where to report, confirm alternating day assignment (grades 6-8) and answer questions. Should the excitement of opening day cause a student to forget, RP staff will be able to guide students to their appropriate location.
What does my student need to bring to school? RP is asking students to limit school materials to a Chromebook and a pencil or pen. All other learning materials will be provided by the school. Students in need of a Chromebook will be assigned a device at school. All students will be issued a protective use and travel bag for their device. Lockers will NOT be issued for the foreseeable future, so students need to be able to manage their belongings. Students are encouraged to keep extraneous materials like book bags, backpacks and coats at home until such a time that lockers are assigned. As the school's air conditioning is fully functioning, students may wish to bring a sweater or sweatshirt that adheres to dress guidelines provided later in this document. Physical education activities will be designed for movement without perspiration, so separate PE clothes not needed.
How do I register my student to attend school online? MSD Warren Township's homepage includes a banner for virtual registration that must be completed. Due to the closeness to the beginning of the school year, those registering for the virtual option may have a delayed start date.
My student has selected the online option. What if I missed Tuesday evening's virtual school materials pick-up opportunity? Caregivers may call the main office at 317.532.8902 to schedule an appointment to retrieve materials between 9am and 3pm. Or, a drive-through make-up opportunity for students to retrieve materials prior to Thursday's start to school will be offered Wednesday, August 5, 5:00-6:00pm at Raymond Park Door 1.
Can I walk my student into school on the first day, or can I visit my student at school? visitor access to RP will be restricted due to pandemic safeguards, and parents should not enter school with their student on the opening days of school unless specific business exists with the main office.
Will RP be holding Meet-the-Teacher opportunities or Back-to-School Nights? Back-to-School Nights (BTSN) will be held according to the following schedule:
- Back-to-School Night for 5th grade face-to-face students is scheduled to occur Wednesday, August 5th, 6:00-6:30pm for last names A-K, and 7:00-7:30pm for last names L-Z. 5th grade students are welcome to attend in person as well as 1 adult per family. All attendees must wear face coverings.
- Back-to-School Night for 6th grade students is scheduled to occur Wednesday, August 5th, 6:00-7:00pm. This will be a virtual opportunity for all face-to-face 6th grade students to meet their CORE Connect teacher on a Zoom conference. Please be on time to this virtual conference as 6:00-6:15 will be focused on teacher information. Then 6:15-7:00pm will be an opportunity for students and caretakers to ask questions. Virtual Conference links for each teacher may be found here.
Raymond Park staff are ready to welcome our Rangers to school. We are committed to providing the best educational opportunities and safest school environment possible. Thank you, Ranger community, for supporting our students by emphasizing the need to wear face coverings and the need to be cooperative with all procedures designed to keep students and staff safe! HAVE A GREAT FIRST DAY!
Raymond Park PTSA
RP PTSA membership signups will be accepted ONLY through our online square website.
To join, please click on the PTA button below or go to raymond-park-ptsa.square.site and select the membership option that works for you.
Athletics Start Dates
Monday, August 17th
Cross Country 5th through 8th
Boys Tennis 5th through 8th
7th & 8th Cheer
Soccer- To Be Determined
Girls Golf- To Be Determined
Students will need a completed physical on file with Raymond Park. Completed physicals from the 2019-2020 school year will be accepted for the 2020-2021 school year, but must be on file at Raymond Park. Students will need to bring their own water bottles with their name on them and their own mask. In addition, students will need to provide their own transportation to and from practice.