Special Education News Update
September 15, 2014
- Invitations will now be emailed to school staff, rather than sending paper copies to the school
- Parents will continue to get a paper copy of the invitation
- Please send all transfers through Cheri
- If you are missing a UIC number, please send that on anyway, and Cheri will work on getting the UIC
PLC DAY: October 1
- Secondary Staff Training with Mindy Miller (from KRESA) 1:30-3pm
- All Staff - Medicaid Training 3-4pm
- Elementary Staff Training with Mindy Miller (from KRESA) 4-5:20pm
COUNT DAY: October 1
- Prepare ahead of time=no stress on count day
- Make sure all caseload changes have been communicated to Diane Thomas ahead of time
- Create count worksheet ahead of time, print, sign, and bring your count worksheet to PLC (I'll resend directions, in case you forgot how to do this)
- Evaluation reports will no longer state "evaluation team recommends that this student be considered eligible/not eligible for...."
- Reports should list evaluation results and conclude with a statement such as "the results of the evaluation will be presented to the IEP team for consideration when determining eligibility for special education programs and services"
Please keep in mind....
- IF there is a hand carry, Tienet email the invitation to Linda and Diane (like always)
- Case Manager prints parent copy of invitation and gets it (along with procedural safeguards packet) to the parent
- We will be getting safeguards packets out to the TCs in your buildings, so if you need one, please ask your TC
- If you are struggling (or have struggled in the past) to remember to do your Medicaid Billing, try an accountability partner!
- Text or email your partner on a certain day to check in and keep them on track (every Friday check in, let them know your progress "I'm all up to date on Medicaid logging," and ask them how they are progressing with theirs)
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” ― Nelson Mandela
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- September 17 -PLC Leaders
- September 18 - 1/2 day CPI Refresher Training
- September 19 - CPI Training (at the High School)
- IEP Blackout Days - Count - Sept 24-30
- October 1 - PLC
- October 1, 2014 - Fall Count Day
- December 1, 2014 - 2nd Trimester Begins
- Progress Reports Due Dec 8
- December 22- Jan 2, 2015 - Winter Break (All IEPs due in by December 18, 2014)