P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
May 1st to May 5th
A Few Updates:
- Thank you to all who donated to our PTA clothing drive.
- Annex families, you will not be able to turn left in the Annex parking lot due construction on Union Turnpike. You will also not be able to park on Union Turnpike. Please take note of this upcoming change.
- Our Student Council is sponsoring the Kids Heart Challenge❤️. We will have two events here in May. See our flyer below. May 5th is our Family Fitness Night. Come out and enjoy some great activities to get your heart pumping. May 12th is our school's culminating event. Each student will participate in fun activities in our school yard throughout the school day. Make sure you sign up now!
- Please see the flyer below regarding 5th Grade Graduation Committee Fundraiser at Shake Shack on May 3rd. Enjoy some great burgers, fries and shakes while supporting P.S. 188Q.
- The Summer Rising application closes Monday, May 1st.
- Any child that has allergies can stay in during recess only with a note from a parent. Please send a note in to your child's teacher.
- Our next STEM night for grades 3-5 will be May 31st. Make sure you look for the sign up in the beginning of May.
Follow our PTA on Instagram:
PS188Q PTA (@ps188qpta) • Instagram photos and videos
Feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions:
Mrs. Perez-Fung- Parent Coordinator email@example.com
Mrs. Nartowicz- Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Figueroa- Principal email@example.com
Parents of 3rd to 5th Grade Students
May 2nd and May 3rd, please ensure your students are at school on time. As you know, our doors open at 7:30 a.m. Please do your best to have your child here on time, at 8:00 a.m.
Support 5th Grade Graduation Committee
Dear PS 188Q families,
Everyone is welcome to dine at Shake Shack in New Hyde Park on Wednesday May 3rd any time between 11 am to 10 pm!
A portion of the sales made on this day at the New Hyde Park Location only will go towards our Fifth Grade Graduation. We welcome you to bring friends and family and please spread the word on social media!
You can order ahead for pick up using the Shake Shack APP and select pick up location as New Hyde Park. Please be advised that if you use the App for delivery to your home, it may not come from the New Hyde Park Location (Proceeds are coming from New Hyde Park location only)
See attached flyer for more details.
Looking forward to seeing you all there!
Fifth Grade Graduation Committee
Thank You to All Who Participated in PTA Clothing Drive
Mother's Day Sale Volunteers Needed for Main and Annex
Hello PS 188 Community,
The PTA will be holding a Mother's Day sale on Tuesday, May 9th in the Main Building and Thursday, May 11th in the Annex.
We are looking for donations of items to sell - bath bombs, hand lotions, key chains, bracelets - or any other items you think a Mother, Grandmother, Aunt, babysitter would love! We also accept monetary donations.
Please click on the link to sign up to volunteer for the PTA's Mother's Day Sale on Tuesday May 9th and Thursday May 11th.
Any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
❤️Kids Heart Challenge❤️
Our School Has Heart!
Join us in learning about heart health and raising funds to protect all hearts – especially other kids’! Through fun activities we’ll discover ways to take care of our hearts and brains while practicing kindness, gratitude and learning ways to de-stress. Plus, we have the chance to earn PE equipment for our school!Help us reach our goal to raise $10,000! We can do it.
Sign up today! YM ES KHC 2022-2023 WO-21786: PS 188 Kingsbury - Kids Heart Challenge - American Heart Association
Make sure you participate in the Principal's Challenge as well! Check out Mrs. Nartowicz and Mrs. Figueroa's challenge to all of P.S. 188Q below as well as a commercial by our Student Council.
🌞Summer Rising 2023
P.S. 188Q will not have a Summer Rising program at our school. However, families can register for Summer Rising programs across the city. This summer, NYC Public Schools and DYCD have revised our enrollment approach based on feedback from families, CBOs, and schools. The link to the application portal will be posted on this webpage (nyc.gov/SummerRising(Open external link)). The application window will close on May 1.
Follow the PTA on Instagram!
Teacher Appreciation Week May 8th to May 12th
- Launch an email campaign that just says “thanks” Reach out to thousands of teachers with an email campaign that simply says, “thank you for all you do.” No sales pitch, no special offer – just thanks! It will likely be an email that makes them smile when they open it!
- Volunteer in the schools in your community Check in at the school and find out what kind of volunteer help teachers need. They may be looking for people to read to students, creative folks to help with bulletin boards, or someone to help with grading student worksheets. By contributing an hour or two of your time, you are lightening the load for the entire school community while making teachers, assistants, and everyone feel valued and appreciated (and it will make you feel great as well). Kick off your volunteering during Teacher Appreciation Week and then continue it all year long.
- Teacher Appreciation Book Help kids make a keepsake that teachers will treasure. Each page of this book offers prompts to inspire students to write their favorite memories and thoughtful words any teacher will love to hear.
Thumbprint Art How cute is this idea? Each student contributes their thumbprint to make an uplifting keepsake for their teacher!
Gifted and Talented for Students Going Into Grades 1-4 for 2023-2024 School Year
- Eligibility will be based on report card grades. For more information on eligibility please visit our website at schools.nyc.gov/GT.
- Families will be notified of their eligibility this week via mail.
- The application will run from May 2nd to May 15th. Families can apply through MySchools and at a local Family Welcome Center.
At P.S. 188Q, we will have the following number of seats available for next school year:
1st grade: 14 seats
2nd grade: 1 seat
3rd grade: 0 seats
4th grade: 6 seats
Dear PS188Q Families,
Have you voted?
You can have your voice heard by voting in the Education Council Elections.
To vote, you will need to sign into your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA). If you do not have an account, it’s not too late! Sign up for your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) today. If you need help signing up to NYCSA, I will guide you through the process.
Be sure to review the candidates’ profiles here before voting. We have two parents from PS 188Q parents that are running for the CEC. Check out their profiles!
Voting lasts until May 9, but don’t wait, sign in to NYCSA and Vote today!
Questions? Attend an Information Session on
Mondays through Thursdays at: 9AM, 12PM, or 6PM Launch Meeting - Zoom
Fridays at: 9AM or 12 PM Launch Meeting - Zoom
If you need interpretation, please submit your request here.
District 26 Parent Workshops
- May 2nd: NYS Math test Grades 3-5; APEC visits PreK
- May 3rd: NYS Math test Grades 3-5; SLT 6:30 p.m. via Zoom; Donation Day @ Shake Shack
- May 4th: 1-119 trip to Pizza Garden
- May 5th: Safety Meeting via Zoom @ 7:30 a.m.; Family Fitness Night
- May 8th to May 12th: Return All Library Books; Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 8th: Book of the Month Assembly at Annex
- May 9th Mother's Day Sale at Main
- May 10th: Nurse's Day
- May 11th: Mother's Day Sale at Annex
- May 12th: Kids Heart Challenge Culminating Event
- May 15th: NYSLESLAT Reading, Writing and Listening begins
- May 17th: Book of the Month Assembly at Main; Last Day of Wednesday Self-Sustaining After School; PTA Meeting @ 7:00 p.m.
- May 18th: Last day of Morning Library
- May 20th: PTA Sponsored Spring Family Day
- May 22nd: Incoming 1st grade parents visit the Main Building 9:00 a.m.
- May 25th: Last Day of Thursday Self-Sustaining Afterschool; P.S. 188Q Art Show and Chorus Concert @ 5:30 p.m.
- May 26th: 7:30 a.m. Student DEI Meeting in Library
- May 29th: No School- Memorial Day
- May 30th: Kindergarten Orientation 9:00 a.m. for incoming Kindergarten parents
- May 31st: PTA Sponsored Number Drummer; STEM Night for Grades 3-5
- June 1st: PTA Sponsored Number Drummer
- June 2nd: Safety meeting @ 7:30 a.m. via Zoom; PTA Sponsored Number Drummer
- June 5th: PreK, Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Field Day in school yards
- June 6th: 3rd and 4th Grade Field Day in school yard
- June 7th: 5th Grade Field Day at Alley Pond Park
- June 8th and 9th: No School for students
- June 12th: Kindergarten students visit Main for tour
- June 13th: PTA Sponsored Mr. Chris' Musical Experience for PreK to 5th grade at the Main; Father's Day Sale at Main
- June 14th: Flag Day; 5th Grade Trip
- June 15th: 5th Grade Awards Assembly and Dance
- June 16th: 5th Grade Graduation 9:00 a.m. in P.S. 188Q Auditorium
- June 20th: PreK End of the Year Celebration 1:15 p.m. @ Annex
- June 21st: Incoming PreK Parent Orientation @ Annex 9:00 a.m.
- June 22nd: 3rd Grade Dancing Classrooms Calumniating Event with parents- 9:00 a.m.
- June 23rd: Kindergarten End of the Year Show 9:00 a.m. @ Main