Beginner Percussion Information!
Percussion Club Rehearsals Begin June 17th!
- Summer Percussion Club Rehearsals!!!
- Ordering Percussion Equipment
- Xylophone Rental/Purchase Information
- Private Lessons for Percussionists
If you have any questions, please reach out to me at my email address: email@example.com.
Beginner Percussion Club Information
Summer Percussion Club Dates
- Thursday, June 17, 9 AM to 10:30 AM
- Thursday, June 24, 9 AM to 10:30 AM
- Thursday, July 1, 9 AM to 10:30 AM
- Thursday, July 15, 9 AM to 10:30 AM
How much does it cost?
- Percussion Club is free!
What do we do during Percussion Club?
- First of all, we want to make sure that all of our beginner percussionists get a chance to know each other and learn how to play together in a larger group. We also spend some time in every Percussion Club event playing on full size percussion instruments like timpani, marimbas, real snare drums (not just drum pads!), drum set, and much much more!
What do I need to bring?
- Some of your personal items may not have arrived yet - that's okay, you should still come!
- Stick bag with drum sticks and rubber xylophone mallets.
- Eventually, you will also bring all music passed out in class.
How do I get into the RHHS Band Hall?
- Rockwall-Heath High School is located at 801 Laurence Dr, Rockwall, TX 75032
- Enter the Band Hall through Door 8. These are the glass doors on the east side of the building.
What if I have a conflict with Percussion Club?
- Percussion Club is a wonderful opportunity for our beginner percussionists to learn and have fun with percussion! If you have a conflict with a specific date, need to arrive after the start time, or leave before it's over because of a prior conflict, please contact Mr. Kosterman.
Please avoid Ebay, Craigslist, and Amazon. Lonestar Percussion is our preferred vendor for percussion equipment. Click here to visit their website: https://www.lonestarpercussion.com/
At the start of next school year, each student is expected to bring their metronome, band binder, book, and mallet bag with sticks and mallets to school every day.
Students will not need to bring their practice pad , stand, or xylophone to school. These items are to be set up at home for students to practice and make weekly practice recordings.
Because of ongoing delays from COVID-19, a few items may take a while to ship, so I strongly encourage ordering the following equipment as soon as you are able.
It is our goal to ensure that all of our students have quality equipment that can last for years at the best price available. Please do not substitute any items without first contacting Mr. Kosterman.
- Korg Black Tuner Metronome, Model # TM60BK
- Standard of Excellence Book 1 - Drums & Mallet Percussion by Bruce Pearson, Model # PW21PR
- Vic Firth Ney Rosauro Symphonic Signature Concert Snare Sticks, Model # SNR
- Vic Firth American Custom Medium Hard Rubber Xylophone Mallets, Model # M5
- Lone Star Percussion Jumbo Stick Bag, Model # JSB
- Offworld Percussion 9.5" Outlander Practice Pad, Model # OLS
- Lone Star Percussion Concert Height Snare/Practice Pad Stand, Model # LSP-SS200
Xylophone Rental Information
In addition to the items in the list above, students will need the Adams 3.5 Octave Academy Series Xylophone with Stand (Model # AXLD35) for practice at home. While some parents prefer to purchase this instrument outright, most take advantage of the rental option. A portion of the rental fee is applied to the purchase of the instrument or one of greater value.
To rent the AXLD35, call Lone Star Percussion toll free at 1-866-792-0143, or visit the following link to learn more about instrument rentals: Marimba Rentals Page.
Why do we use the Adams 3.5 Octave Academy Series Xylophone?
- This xylophone sounds great and is a reasonable volume for students to enjoy practicing at home. Because this instrument is the same size as the xylophones that we use at school, practice done at home will immediately transfer to rehearsals and performances in 6th grade and middle school. This instrument also helps to develop great posture and habits that will carry over into high school!
Should I rent or buy the Xylophone?
- Most students and their families rent the xylophone. A portion of your monthly rental can be applied to purchasing the xylophone or an instrument of equal or greater value. Please see the spreadsheet below so that you can see how much it would cost to purchase your xylophone after 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years of renting.
How do I go about renting a xylophone?
- Visit the following link: https://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Marimba-Rentals.html
- On the bottom of the page, you can click the yellow "Contact Us" button to let Lonestar know that you would like to rent an Adams 3.5 Octave Academy Series Xylophone.
- You also can call Lonestar Percussion toll free at 1-866-792-0143 and they will get your rental set up or answer any questions you may have!
What if the xylophone (or any other item) just isn't in our budget right now?
- Our staff is very understanding that every family has a unique financial situation. It is important to us that, regardless of your financial situation, band works for you and your child. If you are in need of alternative options for any of the equipment listed above, please contact me so that I can work with you to find options that work for you!
Lessons with Mr. Q
Who teaches percussion private lessons?
- Quincey Jarmon (or Mr. Q) is the percussion private lesson teacher. He is an incredible musician and works incredibly well with students and parents.
How much do private lessons cost and how do I pay?
- Private lessons are $19 per lesson (half hour or half of a band class period). Payment can be made through Venmo or check. If you need to pay another way, please let Mr. Q know in advance.
When are lessons?
- Many students are able to take their lessons during their band class. In some cases, private lessons can be before or after school.
Where are private lessons?
- Some students are able to take private lessons at their campus. Other students prefer to take lessons at Rockwall-Heath High School where larger equipment is available. If you would like to take online lessons, please let us know. We will try to make that happen!
How often are private lessons?
- In most cases, students take one private lesson a week. If you are unable to make it to a lesson, please contact Mr. Q before the lesson time so that the lesson can be re-scheduled.
Are private lessons just for students who are behind?
- Not at all! As percussionists, there are many different instruments and genres of music to be excited about. In our class setting (whether it's online or in-person), we will cover as much as we possibly can. However, many students in percussion will also be interested in learning how to play drum set, keyboard solos, marching band styles and more.
Are private lessons required?
- Private lessons are not required, but definitely encouraged!
How do I sign up?
- All you need to do is email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mr. Q (email@example.com)! Let us know that you are interested in private lessons and we will respond to set up a lesson time.