Friday, January 12, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
-SIT Meeting will be held tomorrow (January 16th). Please ensure all reps are in attendance.
- SIT Meeting will be held tomorrow (January 16th). Please ensure all reps are in attendance.
- A few changes have been made to 2nd Semester Elective Schedules for a few students. Letters will go home to their parents.
- Spartan Time Update: At this time, I-Ready will not be approved. Looking for another resource. Spartan Time schedules should be submitted by the end of the day, Wednesday (1/17/18) A template will be shared. Postponed Start Date to Feb 5th due to 2nd nine weeks extension.
- February 2nd!!!! – Two Learning Focused Micro PDs are due on this date…Activating Strategies and Vocabulary. These must be completed before the deadline.
- Mid Year PDPs are due Wednesday, January 17th!
- Magnet Teachers, Harris and E. Johnson Meeting – January 17 – Media Center at 3:45pm
- Do you have paper on your door or covering your door window? If so, please remove due to fire code violations.
- (From Cabinet)ATTENDANCE - Staff attendance has dropped each month. I appreciate the fact that you are making doctor's visits after school and making instructional time a priority. Let's look for an increase in January and February!
- -(From Cabinet) Principals - just a reminder that your teachers should be entering their own absences in AESOP. The school bookkeeper or no other staff should be putting in absences for anyone unless there is an emergency that arises.
- Please know that Powerschool grades must be updated each week.
- Sunshine Dues - If you haven't paid your dues, please see Audrey Kingston, Debbie Mears or Ruth Ann Harris. We want to continue to deliver to our staff in times of need and celebration.
- MTSS- Are you utilizing? Do you have students with chronic behaviors and/or struggling with academics? Please ensure you are using this process to assist students.
Teachers, please look at your grades for the 2nd Nine Weeks. Do you have a lot of student failures? Are you giving students opportunities to retake tests, as written in the district policy? Large number of failures may indicate we need to reflect. This should be corrected for 2nd Nine Weeks.
SIT Meeting Agenda Items: There will be a SIT Meeting on the January 16. Please give agenda items to your SIT REP.
Core Teachers: Please make sure you share past benchmark performance with students and have them make goals for the upcoming benchmark. Mark your calendars...January 24 Benchmark Reward. Please announce to students.
REMINDER: Magnet Teachers - There will be a Magnet Showcase on January 30th at 6:30pm. Each teacher should have at least 2 PBLs to Showcase. Embedded technology would be a plus.
- Friendly Dental Van will be returning on Friday, January 19, 2018.
- IMPORTANT- Classroom and EC Teachers...There will be EVAAS training at our upcoming Instructional Planning Days (January 25/26). Please ensure you know your username and password before then. Go to evaas.sas.com to login. If you need access, let Mrs. Lewis know ASAP.
- We are getting a lot of new enrollments. If students need to be added to PBIS Rewards and need a badge, please email Ms. Brayboy. Thank you!
- Don't forget! All Certified Staff- Public School Works courses are DUE January 31. These are REQUIRED!
I just wanted to share news with you. Mrs. Harris had recommended and assisted Joshua Cruz with applying for a scholarship/camp opportunity through CFNC for this coming summer. Well....... Joshua was selected (and was the first selected for our region!) for the scholarship! He will be awarded up to One Thousand dollars towards a camp opportunity of his choosing offered this summer by CFNC! Kudos to both Josh and Mrs. Harris!
Thank you to Tiffany Spencer, Jody Odom and Lynette Gibson for modifying Elective Schedules for 2nd Semester to ensure we are successful for the remainder of the year! You are awesome!
A huge shout out to Leigh Carter and Katie Griswold for leading the Lego League Robotics Team. They, along with the team, will be headed to NC A&T in Greensboro this weekend for the STATE COMPETITION! Good luck, Spartans!
January 16 - 8th Grade Science
January 17 - 19 - Makeups
- A 1st semester clubs evaluation will be filled out by students in homeroom classes. More information will follow once SIT had decided about the last club meeting.
- Thank you to Michelle Williams and Sharyl Gross for joining the Sunshine Committee.
Please welcome Ms. Arlene Grady as our new art teacher. She comes to us from Robeson County, has taught for 5 years and all 5 years been middle school experience. Arlene will join us on February 12th.
2018 Spartan Health Challenge
Are you up for the challenge? Will you let health be a priority in 2018? Join us in the Spartan Health Challenge. This challenge has two components… you can pick one, or both. Here’s how each will work:
- Biggest Loser
- Weigh in with Nurse Mears before Friday, January 12 at 3:00pm. The final weigh in and winner will be announced on Friday, May 18.
- Nurse Mears will track your weight on an index card and maintain your confidentiality at all times. To keep yourself on track, you can weigh in weekly or monthly… whatever works best for you.
- Weight loss will be scored based on the percentage of body weight lost, rather than the number of pounds lost.
- Registration for this portion of the challenge is $5.00. The biggest loser in the end will win all of the registration money.
- Run/Walk Challenge
- Register to run or walk in Spring Hill’s annual 5K event on Saturday, May 19 (formerly known as “Spartans Run for Kicks,” this year will be a joint effort between Spring Hill and Carver to benefit the cross country teams). View the flyer to determine which events you will participate in, and therefore, your registration amount: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cZI-XxhVbwGmKLMcbgH-t7lzMdaFMKGXzG0Xd00DVZ4/edit
- Pay Nurse Mears to participate in the event.
- Set a run/walk goal for your training for the event on May 19. For example, if you begin training for the 5K on January 2 and want to run 3 miles per week for 20 weeks, your training goal will be 60 miles. Send your goal to Shannon Brayboy by Friday, January 5.*
- A chart for all participants with their individual training goals will be posted in the Teacher’s Lounge. You will track your individual weekly goals on the chart so everyone can root you on toward your goal.
- Once it gets warm, we may have a few afternoon run/walks after school to prep for the 5K. We will all run/walk together in unity at the May 19 event in support of our health and our cross country team.
*Participants in the run/walk challenge can join the challenge at any time before May 19. We will begin our initial challenge setting the first week of January.
We hope you will join us as we support each other on our individual health journeys! 2018 here we come!
Technology Information concerning student usage of Youtube and Go Guardian, https://docs.google.com/document/d/10UhSLags_i6_eRo1eMQDhBDrV09ufFDUai-gFiTUb7A/edit
Students experiencing issues with Google Login? https://docs.google.com/document/d/10UhSLags_i6_eRo1eMQDhBDrV09ufFDUai-gFiTUb7A/edit
- TEACHER MOVEMENT: Please be reminded that at no time should we be sitting while instructing or while students are working independently. It is vital that we are up monitoring students and using all opportunities to assist them while working. Thanks!
Failing Rates - Please be mindful of the percentage of students that are failing your class. Are students allowed to retake quizzes/tests they have failed? Does your instruction match the learning styles of the majority of your students?
***IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
We are currently looking at a tutoring model that takes place during the day with our own teachers. We have a committee that is looking at details and coming up with a plan. This will begin 2nd semester. Stay tuned.
Learning Focused Coaching Tips: Vocabulary Displays - without words students will not be able to read or write about content. Every grade level should have a content Word Wall. Focus on what words need the most instruction or support. Try suggesting: Breaking words apart using affixes and roots; Color coding important words by concepts so students can write by connecting them; Keep words current (do not keep up words long past the concept); Archive words from earlier concepts in personal vocabulary dictionaries / notebooks
The "Frontline Family" spread some good luck in October, on Friday, the 13th. Hope it counteracted any bad luck mojo that was hanging around!! Anyway, we want to challenge the Olympians (Electives) team to spread some love to our staff on January 5th! See if you can start the New Year out on a positive note!!!
Faculty and Staff: Please be reminded that will still need your Sunshine Dues ($20). The Sunshine Committee is here to spread "Sunshine" to you or a loved one in time of need.
- MTSS - How many students do you have on a Tier for behavior and academics?
The school and district expectation is that teachers enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress. Your data manager can print a report for you to monitor this.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]
COLLABORATIVE PAIRS: Please ensure that you implement collaborative pairs with roles within your lessons. This will be looked for in walkthroughs and observations.
What are you doing to be proactive to eliminate behaviors? What are your extra incentives in your class, team or grade level? (Extra TLC, computer time, double scans, pizza party, slushy parties, etc.)
- A list of grant opportunities is located: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0F01LHF8bhUEZVcFI1ZV84TVE/view.
Monday, January 15- Martin Luther King Holiday- No School; Mid-year PDP's due
Tuesday, January 16- Science Benchmarks; Basketball (H); SIT Meeting
Wednesday, January 17 - Wacky Wednesday; Student Support Meeting @ 9:30am; Wrestling @ Carver 4:00pm
January 17-19- Benchmark Make Ups
Thursday, January 18 - Basketball vs. Ellerbe (A)
Saturday, January 20 – All District Band Auditions (Mac Williams Middle School); Robotics Competition
Tuesday, January 23 - Grade Level Meetings
Wednesday, January 24 – Wrestling @ the Highlands; End of 2nd 9 Weeks; Student Support Services Meeting @9:30pm;
Thursday, January 25 – Basketball vs. Carver @ Scotland High School (RED OUT – Students wear RED); AR Celebration (Movie); Instructional Planning Day (Core and EC only); ELA/SS Planning Days with Carver @ SHS
Friday, January 26 – Instructional Planning Day (Core and EC only);
Grade verification's reports are due to L. Gibson by 12:00 noon * The first page of the verification report is to be signed and dated; Math/Science Planning Days with Carver @ SHS
Monday, January 29 – Basketball vs. Rockingham (A); Grades will be stored by 10:00 a.m. * No changes can be made to grades after grades have been stored
Tuesday, January 30 – AIG Magnet Showcase 6:30pm (Required for Students); Report Cards will be printed (morning)
Wednesday, January 31 – Wrestling vs. Carver (H) at SHS; Basketball vs. W. Hoke (H); All Certified Staff - Public School Works DUE (REQUIRED); Report Cards are to be sent home
Friday, February 2- Doughnuts for Dad; PBIS Event