October 2, 2020
Friday, November 6 - End of First Quarter
Monday, November 9 - Teacher Records Day - NO SCHOOL
Thursday, November 19 - Evening Conferences
Friday, November 20 - Daytime Conferences - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, December 1 - Evening Conferences
Morning Drop off - New Procedure
Greene School T-Shirts
T-shirts were delivered to face-to-face students this week. If your child did not receive his/her shirt, please contact Ms. Brubaker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We do have a limited supply of extra shirts! If you would like to purchase a shirt, please email Ms. Brubaker with the preferred color (green/gold) and size (Youth Med/L/XL or Adult Small/Med/L/XL/XXL). We will let you know if we have one and you'll be able to send in a payment with your student or arrange pick-up for a virtual learner.
What is my child doing on their computer?
SYCAMORE SCHOOLS ATTENDANCE LINE
Notes from the School Nurse
What a great start for this school year! Just a few reminders:
1. Perform the Daily COVID19 checklist with your child before school everyday.
2. Encourage them to continue to maintain social distancing at the bus stop and when entering and exiting school.
3. Keep an additional clean mask in their pencil pouch or backpack.
4. Praise them for all their great work so far.
Laurie Dobrowolski BSN, RN, LSN
E.H. Greene Intermediate School
From Child Nutrition
USDA and ODE passed a new waiver for all schools that participate in School Nutrition Programs. As of today, Sycamore Schools is now able to serve breakfast and lunch to all students for FREE until the waiver expires on December 31st (or until the allotted program funds are no longer available—whichever comes first.)
This does not change anything in the process of receiving breakfast or lunch at school for your Sycamore student other than that if a student makes a reimbursable school meal they will not be charged. A student has to take 3 components and one HAS to be ½ cup of fruit or vegetable for their meal to be considered reimbursable. Click on the links below for more information by learning model:
Please note: If your student(s) are quarantined at home and you would like access to school meals, you can sign up for the virtual meal curbside pick up by registering here and get meals this way until you are back at school. All meals are free to ALL students until December 31st. Find out more information about pick-up times, locations, and FAQs by clicking here.
Breakfast and Lunch for Week of October 5th through October 9th
Monday - Breakfast - Donuts or cereal with string cheese
Lunch - Chicken Nuggets with pretzel, Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Fresh Deli Sandwich or a Bagel Meal
Tuesday - Breakfast - Poptarts or Pumpkin Bread (it's the season)
Lunch - Chicken Tender Wrap, Chicken Patty Sandwich, Garden Salad or a Fresh Deli Sandwich.
Wednesday - Breakfast - Donuts or Yogurt with a muffin
Lunch - Bosco Cheese Sticks, Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Fresh Deli Sandwich or a Bagel Meal
Thursday - Breakfast - Poptarts or Benefit Bar
Lunch - Waffles with egg and sausage, Chicken Patty Sandwich, Garden Salad or a Fresh Deli Sandwich
Friday - Breakfast - Donuts or Cereal with string cheese
Lunch - Big Daddy's Cheese or Pepperoni Pizza, Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Fresh Deli Sandwich or a Bagel Meal.
This will be the last week you will have to order meals; this applies only to the face to face students. The My Meals Ordering will go away starting Monday 10/12. Hopefully this is one less thing you don't have to worry about.
Also remember we are participating in the federal government's pandemics meals, so for now All Student Meals, breakfast and lunch, are FREE.
New Mealtime Procedures for Grades K-6
Beginning October 12, Sycamore Child Nutrition will no longer be using a pre-order system for Grades K-6 breakfast and lunch. We received a great deal of negative feedback from families about the functionality of the pre-ordering system put in place at the beginning of the school year. In addition, pre-ordering and meal delivery (for Grades K-4) was placing an undue burden on staff. In an effort to be responsive, we are doing away with the pre-ordering system and shifting towards our traditional meal ordering process with safety protocols in place. These protocols include social distancing while in line, contactless checkout, and extra sanitation measures.
How will students order meals and be served?
Students will select what they want to eat while going through the lunch line as in a typical school year.
Students will be served most of their meals by the kitchen staff. If necessary, students will grab limited pre-packaged fruits and veggies and milk to finish their meal.
How will students checkout safely?
As a reminder, all meals are free for ALL students until December 31 (or until the allotted program funds are no longer available-whichever comes first).
Students will use a lanyard with a lunch badge and scan it at our new scanners for a contactless checkout. They will not enter their numbers into pin pads as in past years.
What other safety protocols will be in place?
Physical distancing using marks on the floors will be put in place. Students will still be separated by class when coming through the lunch line.
The kitchen staff will be wearing proper PPE and face shields for added safety.
There will be extra sanitation procedures between groups going through the line.
When does pre-ordering end?
The last day you need to pre-order for your child will be Friday, October 9th. The first day for traditional meal ordering will be Monday, October 12.
How do I find out what’s for lunch at my child’s school?
Menus for October 12 and beyond can be found on the Sycamore website or by clicking here
Does this also impact students in Grades 7-12?
No, only for Grades K-6. There are no changes for meal ordering at Grades 7-12.
Notifying the school about an absence, dismissal changes, early pickups for your student...
In order to limit the transfer of paper this year, parent communication ( formerly done by a parent communication form) will be done through email. This would include a change of dismissal, leaving for an appointment, late arrival or an absence of any kind.
If it is necessary for a student to leave school early (before the regular dismissal time), or a child is being picked up by anyone other than the custodial parent, or is going home in any
way other than his/her typical procedure the parent should call or e-mail the school's main office prior to 2:00 PM. An email should be sent to email@example.com. Parents should come to the school's main office to have the student called from class. Parents will remain outside the building. To ensure student safety, identification may also be required to pick up a student.
Updating Final Forms
As in the past, we need ALL parents or guardians to log into Final Forms and update any necessary changes for our 2020-2021 school year ASAP. Also newly added is a Covid-19 Parent Agreement that must be signed before the school year begins. You are required to sign the forms at the beginning of each new school year. A signature is also required after any update or as additional forms are added.
We are asking that ALL parents of students log into FinalForms and complete their forms for the 2020-2021 school year ASAP so that potential issues/problems/questions can be addressed before our return to school in September. Some forms require a student signature.
Changing your contact information
If you would like to make changes to your contact information, including email addresses, please go to Final Forms and make the changes. This will update the system. The parent 1 contact information is the most commonly used. The homeroom teachers are not able to make changes for you.
ALL conferences will be held virtually, for both Virtual Classroom and Face-to Face students. Parents will receive details regarding the conferences as they get closer. Dates are as follows:
Nov. 19 (Thursday) Evening Conferences (K-6)
Nov. 20 (Friday) Daytime conferences (No School-K-8 only)
Dec. 1 (Tuesday) Evening Conferences (Gr. 5-6 only)
Welcome to the 2020-21 school year at EH Greene! Although this year may look different, we plan to continue to support the staff and students at EH Greene like we always have. Your PTO membership is a great way to show your support and help us fund a variety of valuable programs.
PTO Volunteers Needed
Are you interested in getting involved at the Greene School? It’s true that we can’t physically be in the building as volunteers for now this year, but there is still much we can do to impact our children’s educational experience. Thanks for those who have already filled out the below PTO Volunteer Survey to indicate interest in volunteering - we are still looking for more volunteers and especially to fill some Co-Chair positions for this school year. Here are some highlighted needs:
- Yearbook - This is a position and committee that will be able to happen this year for sure but in order to do a yearbook we need a Chair who would work with the company to compile and submit pictures.
- Recycling/Eco Team - Are you passionate about the environment and helping our children learn to value it? This committee has traditionally managed a Recycling initiative, an Earth Day program, and the Bus-Walk-Bike Day. In the current environment these traditional programs may or may not be feasible this school year, but their is certainly an opportunity to come up with a creative way to do some of these programs in this year’s school environment.
- Arts Alive - This is an arts appreciation program that happens every other year and would ordinarily be scheduled for March 2021. We do not know if we will be able to run the program as it has traditionally been delivered, but again there may be creative ways to do it unconventionally.
If any of these are roles you would be interested in getting more information about, please reach out to Co-VP Programs, Betsy Rinehart and Kathy Mercurio, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you will find the google form to fill out for any Chair roles, committees or general volunteer positions for this school year. We know that some of these activities are unlikely, but in the event that something changes we would like to have people in as many positions as possible.
Volunteer Survey (same link as on this week’s s’more)
Committee Descriptions (https://docs.google.com/document/d/120yKWI4gqnXZeBExlno6M_jEUHb1BLdTwXpffWfHJOc/edit)
Picture Re-Take Day Photos are ready to view!
Pictures from our September 22nd Picture Re-take Day are now available to view!
E H GREENE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL
Event Code: FE40920
YOUR PHOTOS ARE READY!
Good news! JostensPIX was recently at your school to photograph picture day,
and your student's photos are now available for viewing and ordering!
Click on the button below to get started.
PHOTOS NOT APPEARING IN YOUR GALLERY?
FIND YOUR STUDENT USING EVENT CODE: FE40920
DID YOU KNOW?
- You can personalize your photos with a variety of backgrounds and
- Photos are shipped directly to your home
- High-res digital downloads are available
- If you have more than one child, you can order together and pay
Helpful Instructions to find your student's photos on the Jostens website
Here are the instructions parents can follow if you do not have an email address associated with your student:
- Go to https://shop.jostenspix.com
- Create a free account
- Under the orange “Sign In” button, there is a link that says “First Time? Create free Account”…click here and it will take you to the registration page
- Enter the requested information (first and last name, email address and password)
- This will take you to the main landing page. Directly above the orange “Smile!” circle there is a sentence which reads “Click here to find your student and begin personalizing your photos.”
- Click on the blue, underlined word “here” which is a hyperlink
- You will now be on the “Search For Your Student” page
- Enter the school’s name
- As you begin typing, select the school name from the dropdown list that is displayed
- Our system does not support periods, so your school can be found by entering “E H Greene” (there is a space in between the E & H)
- Enter your Event Code: FE40920
- Enter your child’s first and last name
- Select the orange “Search” button
- Your child’s information will appear below. After the grade level there is orange text that reads “Add Student”…click that link
- A popup window will appear asking you to “Enter a Secure Access Code”
- Select the “Request Secure Access Code” button
- This will generate an approval request for the school to confirm/verify
- Please allow the school’s administrative team one – two business days to approve your request
- Once they have approved your request, you will be able to log in to the website and be taken directly to your student’s portraits
1N5 WARRIOR RUN - The Race For Life
Sycamore High School’s speak up AVES student group invites you to join our team for the annual 1N5 Warrior Run. This year’s event is a virtual “choose your own path” event that encourages participants to complete a 5K - YOUR WAY! The challenge runs from September 26 through October 10. Registration proceeds support the work of 1N5, our community partner, committed to mental health education across the state, city and our district. Sponsorship funds raised come directly back to Sycamore Schools to support mental health programming. Additionally, if Sycamore High School can win the high school challenge, they earn additional funds and opportunities to support mental health at Sycamore High School, and most of all, bragging rights! Visit our team page for more information and register or donate today!
GEAR Families and Friends--Join us for a socially distanced Back-to-School event on October 3rd! Meet other families who are involved with and in support of gifted children at Sycamore.
For details and registration, visit www.sycamoregear.org