Advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of online shopping
- Convenience - shop from any computer with an Internet connection any time while avoiding the need to travel, pay for parking, queue in-store etc.
- Greater variety - more shops online than any highstreet or shopping centre.
- Cheaper goods - increased competition between retailers (for some on a global scale) brings down prices.
- Accessibility - those with a disability that limits their mobility can choose to have goods delivered.
- Comparability - using the Internet it's easy to research products or services very thoroughly, comparing prices and product details in order to get the best deal.
- security concerns surrounding payment by credit card over the Internet
- not being able to physically inspect the goods before purchase
- goods getting damaged during transport
- goods not arriving in time or at all
- concerns over what information retailers are storing about customers, e.g. buying habits