We Are Together Tamanend!
January 12, 2015
December Boomerang Honoree
Tamanend 8th grader, Phennah R. is outgoing and accepting. Phennah enjoys celebrating the things that make each one of us special and unique. She often shares stories about her background and life experiences in class, and she isn’t afraid to ask difficult questions and talk about racism. Phennah is very eager to learn about other cultures and ethnicities. She has a genuine interest and curiosity about how people from different backgrounds experience life. Phennah is friendly with everyone and she truly appreciates and celebrates diversity in our school. Phennah was Tamanend's Boomerang Honoree for December's Asset: Cultural Competance. Congratulations and thank you, Phennah, for being a role model of cultural competence for all of us!
Pictured above: Mrs. Leatherbarrow, Phennah, her mother, and Mr. Boyle
Tamanend's Soup Kitchen
Tamanend Student Health Ambassadors are hosting a soup kitchen after school. What is a soup kitchen? It is an opportunity for Tamanend students to learn how to make homemade chicken noodle soup while preparing a meal for a family in need (all soup will be donated to the New Britain Food Pantry.) What a great way for students to do something healthy for themselves while doing something good for another person!
Signups are on the FCS door (Rm 307). When signing up, students are required to signup for and bring one of the needed ingredients in order to participate.
Date: Today, January 13th
Where: Room 307
Kelly Anne Dolan Kick Off!
PDE Asks for Feedback on State Testing
The Pennsylvania Department of Education is asking for feedback regarding testing content used in the PSSA and Keystone exams. Parents, educators, and community members can go to: http://www.paacademicreview.org/ review content, and submit feedback which will aid in the PDE review and revision process.
CBSD Student Recipe Contest
Nominate a TMS Student for Boomerang Recognition
CB Cares Educational Foundation recognizes and supports the students of Central Bucks School District for living by the 40 Developmental Assets. This month's asset is Service to Others: Young person values service to others in their family, school, or community. S/he commits to meaningful and caring actions. At Tamanend, we encourage our parents and students to nominate TMS students along with our staff members. Please submit your Boomerang nomination using this online survey. Nominations for this Boomerang Asset are due January 23rd.
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 15th 2015 at 9am
1492 Stuckert Rd
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. At this Parent Council, we will...
- Learn about KAD Day 2015
- Discuss Program Planning (process of picking classes for next year)
- Reflect on our most recent Bully Survey Data
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of the Tamanend National Jr. Honor Society care of Sra. Mars or Sra. Murry.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
- Effective with the 2014-2015 school year, secondary school parents will be able to view, print, and/or save their child’s report card directly from the Parent Portal. Printed report cards will not be sent home with students. Parents will be able to view report cards for middle and/or high school students for the 1st marking period on November 12th at 8:00 AM. For parent convenience, we will announce future report cards dates at the conclusion of each subsequent marking period in the school newsletter and post them on the school website.
- Students have free access to Office 365 which includes the following programs: Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. Since students have email accounts now through the district, they must use them when emailing Tamanend teachers.
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please use this link to chaperone, volunteer and support TMS. The code word is TMS.
All students must wear a CB (or old TMS) gym uniform for their Physical Education classes. The cost of uniform items and locks for the 2014-2015 school year are as follows:
- T-shirt = $2.10
- Shorts = $3.60
- Lock= $4.95
If you are purchasing all three items, please write a check out to Central Bucks School District for $10.65. Please include your student's name on the memo line. These will be collected in gym class on the first day your student has gym. Please note, if your student does not have gym until second semester, they do not need to purchase their uniform and lock until the first day of their gym class in the second semester.
Click here for up-to-date calendar information about the 2014-15 school year.
There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2014-2015.
- Click here to read previous Backpack Newsflash editions from CB Cares Educational Foundation.
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.