AP NEWS YOU CAN USE
Week of October 12 - October 16
The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can ask his pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he inspires them to ask him which he finds it hard to answer.
-Alice Wellington Rollins
NEWS YOU CAN USE
LUNCH ROOM ISSUES
Please let students know that once they are in the cafeteria, they will not be allowed to leave for the restroom. All restroom breaks should occur PRIOR to lunch. There has been a significant increase in the number of students asking to use the restroom during lunch which is a huge supervision issue. Please encourage students to "try" even if they say they don't have to use the restroom.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS MATTER!!
Bus Driver Appreciation Week 10/19 - 10/23
Please have students create thank you cards for their bus drivers. Cards can be submitted to Heidi by October 16th.
Please continue your grade level conversations regarding the Pharr ES Instructional Framework in conjunction with the non-negotiables found in the staff handbook.
NOV 18th from 9:00am - 12:00pm: Peggy Goodman and Wanda Mangum will be in attendance and we will meet in the conference room. We will swap Wednesday and Thursday that week.
- Wanda will be reviewing anecdotal notes during her visit.
Guided reading should be fully implemented during 2nd 9 weeks.
- Please reference the "Look For's" Mary gave out in preparation for the second round of observations.
- There are more copies of the "Reading Strategies" book available in the Media Center.
- Please revisit the LSPI below and the implementation plan for ELA.
WE ARE GOOSE POOP FREE!!! Thanks so much to Jon and his "coyote" efforts to remove these pesky poopers!! Kathleen is currently searching for video footage of these heroic efforts...stay tuned.
Congrats to our September Instructional Heroes!
Be sure to check the white board in the mail room each week!
Character Ed Students (aka Junior Captains) Due EVERY THURSDAY
October trait = RESPONSIBILITY
- For our weekly student recognition, the earlier the better when submitting names to your grade level AP.
- Also, if you would like to personally write the postcard for your student please let Stacy and I know. We will need it back by Friday morning.
- **The powerpoint with the list of students from each week will be posted on the Pharr ES Training Page
- DUE by October 15, new Character Captains to grade level AP by 9:00am.
Pharr Superstars of The Month
October students should be submitted to Heidi by October 15.
- Two per grade level
IMPORTANT DA Info
Testing continues next week...
Things to know:
- coaching should not occur during the online administration (i.e. defining words/terms, rephrasing test items)
- using the proctor dashboard to inform students of specific items ("you missed #2") they got wrong prior to submitting their test or a specific number of items ("you missed 6 items") they got wrong should be avoided.
- the proctor dashboard should be used to monitor skipped items and to inform students that they should check their work (in general).
- DA's are to inform instruction about our students understanding about specific content. Come on by Heidi's desk in the restroom hallway and drop your name in the box for a drawing. If we are coaching students through test items, we are not getting a true picture of student achievement.
Grades 2 and 5 will meet with Heidi on October 15th during planning time in the conference room.
- Directions for adminstration and other training materials can be found on the Pharr ES training page.
- October 19 - 23 starting promptly at 9:00 am.
Please visit the Pharr ES Training Page to access links to important GMAS resources.
Our grand opening was a huge success!!
Next shopping opportunity will be the week of October 19th. More great items will be added to this shopping opportunity.
Please revisit the RAMS statement often and use this verbiage when complimenting students. For example:
"Thank you for striving for success by entering your name in a drawing outside Heidi's office by Monday (this is not just an example...hehe)."
"Thank you so much for accepting responsibility for your actions by standing in line quietly."