Lakeview Family Newsletter - February 1
Prefer to read this in a different language? Scroll to the bottom and click "translate".
The week that almost wasn't?
• Do you have a copy of the school calendar hanging in your home? We continue to find that people are unaware of days off or half days.
• Do you know where to go for reliable information about school closings? The district website and district social media accounts are always updated very quickly with this type of information.
• Do you receive district emails and phone calls? Check your contact information in PowerSchool. Amazingly, some people block our emails and phone calls. Of course, if you received this newsletter through district email, thank you!
• The School District of South Milwaukee is not part of Milwaukee Public Schools. Those are two separate school districts. Every school district makes its own decisions.
• On the days we were open recently, we had many people calling the office asking "Is Lakeview open today?" If the calendar says it is a school day, and you do not see or hear about cancellation from a reliable source, we are open. We will not make an announcement that we are open for school.
• If your child is going to be out of school for any reason on any day, please call or email the office to let us know as early as possible. We need to account for every student. Last Friday and on Tuesday, many families did not let us know they were keeping student(s) home. We worry - especially about students who may be walking to school.
• Please remember that if school is open and you choose to keep your student(s) home, it does count as an absence towards the 10 yearly absences a student is allowed.
Due to the days missed, we have decided to extend kindness week into next week. (Of course, we expect kindness all year, but highlight it during these days with schools across the nation.) . Here are the adjusted dates for Spirit days at Lakeview:
Monday, February 4 - "Dream of kindness"
Tuesday, February 5 - Admiral's player visit day
Wear your free, blue Admiral's shirt this day.
An Admiral's player will read to one of our grade levels!
Wednesday, February 6 - "Hats off to kindness"
Thursday, February 7 - "We can workout problems"
Wear workout clothes or team apparel
Friday, February 8 - SM Rockets or Lakeview Lions day
Every Friday in South Milwaukee is an SM Spirit day.
We will also continue our coin war through Friday, February 8th, as we work together to raise funds for a health clinic in Liberia, Africa.
New Visitor Management System
This will include everyone who comes into our building that is not an employee of the School District of South Milwaukee. Here are some examples:
• Cold/rainy mornings when students come inside. Students will be allowed past the lobby as usual, but adults cannot go past the lobby area without presenting an ID for scanning. This includes 4K families.
• Families picking up students from 4K YMCA wrap-around care in the afternoon. We know you are in and out very quickly, but you will need to stop at the office starting Monday.
• People volunteering in classrooms
• People coming to have lunch with their child(ren)
We also need every visitor to stop in the office on the way out of the building as well, even if another door is more convenient.
Thank you for helping protect all of our students.
Literacy Night is coming up!
Girls on the Run is back!
Please click the links below to find the teacher newsletter for your student(s):
Specialists - all grades (will rotate grades each week)
Other Upcoming Events
Tuesday, February 5
Yearbook pictures - group photos will be taken this day
Tuesday, February 12
3rd-5th grade goes to the high school to listen to our high school musicians
Thursday, February 14
PTO Meeting 7-8 p.m. in the Lakeview library
Mark your calendars with these other upcoming PTO events:
Ice Cream Social/Art Show/Book Fair - Thursday, February 21 from 5-7 p.m.
Scholastic Book Fair - February 27 & 28 during conferences from 4-7 p.m.
Rollaero Family Skate Night - Thursday, March 21 from 5-7 p.m.
Gifted & Talented opportunity
Partners for the Advancement of Gifted Education (P.A.G.E.) is sponsoring a FREE Game Night for families coming up on March 8th. Both parents and students must register to attend the event, and all students must be accompanied by an adult. Here is the link for more information and to register. You may also download the document below for more information.
If you are unable to attend, it is very important that you cancel your registration to make room for other participants. You may either log in (https://tinyurl.com/gamenight19) and cancel or email CESA 1 PAGE (firstname.lastname@example.org), and we will cancel your registration for you. Please contact Jennifer Cosgrove, South Milwaukee's Gifted and Talented Coordinator, with questions (email@example.com).